XFL - One year after kick off... and waiting

XFL Football discussion.
laxtreme56
Coach

Re: XFL - One year after kick off... and waiting

Post by laxtreme56 »

4th&long wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:16 pm
johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:02 pm Do you really think it's plausible for a second-year league, coming off a one-year hiatus, bankruptcy and change in ownership, to stand a snowball's chance in Hades of landing a nine-figure TV contract?

Based on what the NHL gets for TV money here in America, which is in the ballpark of what XFL games got for ratings, your ceiling is likely in the low eight figures. And given what we know about the league's revenue and expenses last year, that could very well be enough for now.

Let's not get greedy.
No I do not think they will get it. I do think that VM could have in year 3 if no virus.

Keep in mind NHL signed that deal 10 years ago ($200mm yr) and their ratings are substantially below the XFL. Let's see what the NHL gets going forward. MLS gets $90mm a yr or so and they are brutal ratings.
The NHL draws big ratings in the playoffs, that's primarily how they get a decent paying television contract. Also NHL teams play 82 games compared to the ten the XFL plays, so there's a lot more inventory to draw from. MLS had poor ratings but great demographics, even surpassing the NFL.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

laxtreme56 wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:41 pm
4th&long wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:16 pm
johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:02 pm Do you really think it's plausible for a second-year league, coming off a one-year hiatus, bankruptcy and change in ownership, to stand a snowball's chance in Hades of landing a nine-figure TV contract?

Based on what the NHL gets for TV money here in America, which is in the ballpark of what XFL games got for ratings, your ceiling is likely in the low eight figures. And given what we know about the league's revenue and expenses last year, that could very well be enough for now.

Let's not get greedy.
No I do not think they will get it. I do think that VM could have in year 3 if no virus.

Keep in mind NHL signed that deal 10 years ago ($200mm yr) and their ratings are substantially below the XFL. Let's see what the NHL gets going forward. MLS gets $90mm a yr or so and they are brutal ratings.
The NHL draws big ratings in the playoffs, that's primarily how they get a decent paying television contract. Also NHL teams play 82 games compared to the ten the XFL plays, so there's a lot more inventory to draw from. MLS had poor ratings but great demographics, even surpassing the NFL.
I'm not sure how many games NBC gets for the $200mm, yes NHL gets better ratings in playoffs and there are many of those games. You could see a split Media rights deal for NHL over multiple companies.

MLS demographics are not better than NFL. As a % of their superlow TV ratings perhaps but that's not in total.

UPDATE: NHL current deal is for 100 games; expect the next deal(s) to be much more $$
>> The National Hockey League agreed to a 10-year U.S. broadcast rights agreement with NBC on Tuesday in a deal that Commissioner Gary Bettman hailed as the most significant in league history.

NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman talks during a news conference before the NHL game between the Phoenix Coyotes and the Vancouver Canucks in Glendale, Arizona March 8, 2011. REUTERS/Rick Scuteri

The deal, worth a reported $2 billion, will see the NHL become a bigger player on the American sporting stage with 100 regular season games televised each year and the introduction of a nationally televised game the day after Thanksgiving.<<

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-nhl- ... 2020110420
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

Less than a week till March, radio silence from team XFL...
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

Yeah, I think we're past the break even point and now every week that passes without a clear indication that they are moving forward makes the odds of a 2022 season less likely.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

"expect the next deal to be much more $$"

Really, though? The NHL is in a very difficult position. Their Canadian TV deal is doing fine, but on the American side, it's a disaster. Consider:

- Their outdoor game this year ended up being postponed to midnight local time after they couldn't maintain the ice surface in the Lake Tahoe sunshine.
- Ratings have been on a slow downward slide here for years.
- The NHL's highest rated local market, Buffalo, has been saddled with a team that is completely unable to play competent hockey as its "generational talents" Jack Eichel and Rasmus Dahlin wither away into the next Alex Daigle and Pat Falloon while a revolving door of incompetent head coaches continues to circulate. They're about to reach an NHL record 10 straight seasons without a playoff appearance, the exact opposite of what their owner promised: a Stanley Cup. With the Bills the best they've been in years, a strong local college basketball scene, and the Sabres' prime asset (play-by-play man Rick Jeanneret) getting too old for the job and showing it, there's little reason for the NHL's top American market to tune in. (sorry, as a WNY native, I had to get that rant out) I think the DC Defenders had a stronger following in Buffalo than the Sabres last year, and that's saying something.
- The NHL seems to have no sense of regularity in its scheduling. How many Winter Classics have been canceled or postponed? That's their signature event in America.
- The marquee stars on American teams, like Sidney Crosby, Alex Ovechkin, Patrick Kane... they're all over 30 and not getting any younger.
- NBC shut down NBCSN. That means fewer windows for games, shoehorned in on CNBC or USA, if they were to want to renew. ESPN's schedule is full; both it and Turner have full slates of NBA and college hoops. CBS is committed to college basketball. Fox might be interested. Sinclair is arguably in the best position (already owning 14 out of 31 teams' regional rights) but its national network Stadium is in much of the same position as OLN was in 2005.
- This wouldn't be the first time the NHL has to take a step back and accept less: they had to do so after their ESPN deal ended in '04 as well.

The NHL is in a horrible position in regard to its negotiations for a new American TV deal. NBC looks like it wants out and the other takers have a lot more leverage.
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

Pat Falloon (30th anniversary Memorial Cup) ping!!!!!!!!!!
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:12 pm "expect the next deal to be much more $$"

Really, though? The NHL is in a very difficult position. Their Canadian TV deal is doing fine, but on the American side, it's a disaster. Consider:

- Their outdoor game this year ended up being postponed to midnight local time after they couldn't maintain the ice surface in the Lake Tahoe sunshine.
- Ratings have been on a slow downward slide here for years.
- The NHL's highest rated local market, Buffalo, has been saddled with a team that is completely unable to play competent hockey as its "generational talents" Jack Eichel and Rasmus Dahlin wither away into the next Alex Daigle and Pat Falloon while a revolving door of incompetent head coaches continues to circulate. They're about to reach an NHL record 10 straight seasons without a playoff appearance, the exact opposite of what their owner promised: a Stanley Cup. With the Bills the best they've been in years, a strong local college basketball scene, and the Sabres' prime asset (play-by-play man Rick Jeanneret) getting too old for the job and showing it, there's little reason for the NHL's top American market to tune in. (sorry, as a WNY native, I had to get that rant out) I think the DC Defenders had a stronger following in Buffalo than the Sabres last year, and that's saying something.
- The NHL seems to have no sense of regularity in its scheduling. How many Winter Classics have been canceled or postponed? That's their signature event in America.
- The marquee stars on American teams, like Sidney Crosby, Alex Ovechkin, Patrick Kane... they're all over 30 and not getting any younger.
- NBC shut down NBCSN. That means fewer windows for games, shoehorned in on CNBC or USA, if they were to want to renew. ESPN's schedule is full; both it and Turner have full slates of NBA and college hoops. CBS is committed to college basketball. Fox might be interested. Sinclair is arguably in the best position (already owning 14 out of 31 teams' regional rights) but its national network Stadium is in much of the same position as OLN was in 2005.
- This wouldn't be the first time the NHL has to take a step back and accept less: they had to do so after their ESPN deal ended in '04 as well.

The NHL is in a horrible position in regard to its negotiations for a new American TV deal. NBC looks like it wants out and the other takers have a lot more leverage.
The TV Sports nets are desperate for LIVE sports content to help boost their demand on Cable TV. I predict NHL will do well with this round. Could be split contract even.
Rangersking669
Running Back

Post by Rangersking669 »

Tank55 wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:56 am Yeah, I think we're past the break even point and now every week that passes without a clear indication that they are moving forward makes the odds of a 2022 season less likely.
I'd bet they announce the CFO by the end of march.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

Rangersking669 wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:26 am
Tank55 wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:56 am Yeah, I think we're past the break even point and now every week that passes without a clear indication that they are moving forward makes the odds of a 2022 season less likely.
We were Sold/Told on the idea that new league really needed 2 years to get launched properly. Now we are looking at 10 months using end-of-March.

While I do think it can be done, the bigger the league and longer the season the harder it will be and the less leverage they will have - with a reduced runway.
Rangersking669
Running Back

Post by Rangersking669 »

4th&long wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:22 pm
Rangersking669 wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:26 am
We were Sold/Told on the idea that new league really needed 2 years to get launched properly. Now we are looking at 10 months using end-of-March.

While I do think it can be done, the bigger the league and longer the season the harder it will be and the less leverage they will have - with a reduced runway.
Many of those months were just spent developing business plans and policies and football rules though. The XFL doesn't have to do any of that this time around anywhere near as much.