CFL: Edmonton Football Team names

XFL Football discussion.
MarkNelson
UFLBoard Correspondent

CFL: Edmonton Football Team names

Post by MarkNelson »

I thought people might be interested in what names they are considering for the Edmonton CFL team.

https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/edmonton-fo ... -1.5299846
Edmonton Football Team asks fans to vote on 7 possible names

EDMONTON -- The Edmonton Football Team says it has a shortlist of seven candidates for its new name.

Elk, Evergreens, Evergolds, Eclipse, Elkhounds, Eagles and Elements are listed as possibilities on an online survey released Monday.

The CFL team dropped the name Eskimos last year. It followed a similar decision by the NFL's Washington team as pressure mounts on teams to eliminate racist or stereotypical names.

Cleveland's Major League Baseball team has since announced it also is changing its name.

Edmonton's survey asks fans to rate the seven candidates from first to worst. It says the group selecting the name will take the results into account.

The team has been known as the Edmonton Football Team or EE Football Team since dumping the old name. The team's logo continues to feature two Es.
XFLBoard https://xflboard.com/news/author/mnelson/
XFLXtra https://xflboard.com/xfl-xtra/
Author: “XFL 2020: Rise and Fall” https://xfl2020book.com
Coming soon: “XFL 2023: Rise”
Favourite Leagues: XFL and CFL | Fan of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers
Tank55
MVP

Re: CFL: Edmonton Football Team names

Post by Tank55 »

Eagles is great, Elk is good, Evergreens is OK, I guess.The rest are pretty terrible. Fingers crossed for EE fans.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

Ice would have been a creative name, wouldn't be EE but would have kept the alliteration going. Modeled after the IFL Colorado Ice (which ditched the moniker and snapped up Crush, then were killed by Fanchise) as well as the WHL team that began in Edmonton.

Moot point however, last thing CFL needs is to get into naming issues.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

It's Elks:

https://mobile.twitter.com/elks/status/ ... 7910970373

Not sure how I feel about Elks vs Elk, but regardless, it's a solid choice and much, much better than some of the possible outcomes. I think I preferred Eagles, but that does present some problems with the NFL club.

I really like that they went with a retro feeling logo -- reminds me of the old Alouttes logo. Smart decision for a forced rebrand as you seek to maintain the benefits of a long and proud history.

All in all, I give this an A on a very tough assignment.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

Some pics:

4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

MarkNelson wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:24 am I thought people might be interested in what names they are considering for the Edmonton CFL team.

https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/edmonton-fo ... -1.5299846
Edmonton Football Team asks fans to vote on 7 possible names

EDMONTON -- The Edmonton Football Team says it has a shortlist of seven candidates for its new name.

Elk, Evergreens, Evergolds, Eclipse, Elkhounds, Eagles and Elements are listed as possibilities on an online survey released Monday.

The CFL team dropped the name Eskimos last year. It followed a similar decision by the NFL's Washington team as pressure mounts on teams to eliminate racist or stereotypical names.

Cleveland's Major League Baseball team has since announced it also is changing its name.

Edmonton's survey asks fans to rate the seven candidates from first to worst. It says the group selecting the name will take the results into account.

The team has been known as the Edmonton Football Team or EE Football Team since dumping the old name. The team's logo continues to feature two Es.
Unnecessary name change but this was the clear best choice, its got the "E", its an animal not used in a pro-sports team, its big and northern. Oh and I called it from the get go ! Seriously it just made the most sense.
Gopher123
Quarterback

Post by Gopher123 »

I agree, if the name had to change, it’s a very solid name for Edmonton. It was my top choice, however, IMO it does sound a little more clumsy saying elks instead of elk.
It reminds me of reading about how it was either OL or Sam S wanting all of the XFL team names to basically end up with an “s” on the end of them. I don’t remember all the details but I think it basically came down to them sounding more professional and kind of align with each other. Choosing to go with Elks kind of sounds like this might have been the thinking here.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

Yeah, I agree, I think they may have overthought it. I get wanting to end in -s; I have a bias toward that as well. But if Elk is (or can be) a plural name, it feels a little forced and awkward.
Firecop
Coach

Post by Firecop »

I also voted for Elk but I don't get the whole double plural thing but apparently it is not grammatically incorrect... In Montana, the plural of elk is, well, elk; I have never heard the term elks before, just as the plural of moose is moose. Oh well , there's a lot I don't get about things anymore! In any event, it is a solid name that well represents the area.
Direct from the Dragon's Lair
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

I've never heard of the claim that elk is a plural as well as a singular. The Elks Lodge always used an S.