Potential XFL Head Coaches for 2022- Help Me Toss Some Names In A Hat Here

XFL Football discussion.
Rangersking669
Running Back

Re: Potential XFL Head Coaches for 2022- Help Me Toss Some Names In A Hat Here

Post by Rangersking669 »

Tank55 wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:50 pm Very disappointing that the XFL wasn't in a position to recruit Pep back. Maybe he wouldn't have been interested anyway, but at least from the outside, he was great for D.C.
There's no way Pep was coming back with an NFL job in hand. Glad for him though
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

GregParks wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:42 pm Pep to Texans as QB coach per Tom Pelissero on Twitter.
So the year after Herbert he'll either get disgruntled Deshaun or Tua, this on a team that after 12 games with a 73 year-old interim HC now has the oldest rookie head coach in NFL history.

And the last link to their glory years, if you'd call it that, expected to be gone--JJW.

In a weird way, they aren't uninteresting.
Hollowj
Linebacker

Post by Hollowj »

Well with Gilbride he couldn't throw Perez in there because Perez had to learn the playbook and get up to speed and in all honesty I believe Gilbride really wanted Perez instead of McGloin.

Zorn's problem was he decided to stay with his OCs offense instead of his own which is why the offense wasn't that good and yes Daniels was the better QB over Silvers because Silvers is an up and down QB that makes too many mistakes
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

The XFL would do well to bring back any of the 2020 coaches. Some may be gun shy of the new regime, some may be ok with it.

But I think we'd have to see what kind of league XFL 3.0 is, what the salary structure is etc... That's assuming it makes it that far.

But in general you'll be looking at coaches that exhausted their NFL chances, former players with some position level coaching experience or none at all (eg Josh McCown), lower level college coaches on the rise. That kind of thing.

The CFO hiring is dragging, that's priority #1, and will shrink confidence the longer it takes.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

I mean, I think there's definitely a place for retreads/semi-retired guys in the league. But it was very nice to have Pep in 2020, someone who was young and still had his future ahead of him. He was there because he wanted to be a head coach, not because he didn't want to work a 12-month job. I'd hate to see the XFL go more in the AAF direction and everyone be in the twilight of their careers.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

Tank55 wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:35 pm I mean, I think there's definitely a place for retreads/semi-retired guys in the league. But it was very nice to have Pep in 2020, someone who was young and still had his future ahead of him. He was there because he wanted to be a head coach, not because he didn't want to work a 12-month job. I'd hate to see the XFL go more in the AAF direction and everyone be in the twilight of their careers.
I think the AAF had fine coaches, and any new league would do well with them. Yes some were older, but not all, and the older ones where quite accomplished.
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

Tank55 wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:35 pm I mean, I think there's definitely a place for retreads/semi-retired guys in the league. But it was very nice to have Pep in 2020, someone who was young and still had his future ahead of him. He was there because he wanted to be a head coach, not because he didn't want to work a 12-month job. I'd hate to see the XFL go more in the AAF direction and everyone be in the twilight of their careers.
Heh, when Neuheisel was the youngster of the group out west............

Now the Spurriers of the league, that's different altogether (HBC, Stoops, Mike Leach, Dana Holgersen--former two in the house watching the latter two in the WSU/Houston game in 2019; that's a pretty fun division). But even if you throw in Martz, there's two of eight. Not real convincing.
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

Bottom line is the XFL is going to have to wait for the coaching musical chairs to end and see who's left standing. Once NFL and college staffs are complete, the XFL can start to move forward. Even if you're bringing in an older head coach who isn't looking for a full-time college or NFL gig anymore, you still need to find assistants, and that's where you might find guys who have suddenly found themselves out of work in the most recent coaching cycle.
@gregmparks
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

GregParks wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:00 pm Bottom line is the XFL is going to have to wait for the coaching musical chairs to end and see who's left standing. Once NFL and college staffs are complete, the XFL can start to move forward. Even if you're bringing in an older head coach who isn't looking for a full-time college or NFL gig anymore, you still need to find assistants, and that's where you might find guys who have suddenly found themselves out of work in the most recent coaching cycle.
Agreed to an extent. But finding a CFO shouldn't be this drawn out.

There hasn't been any MSM talk of the XFL in months.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

They will probably wait until after the Super Bowl to make announcements.