Potential XFL Head Coaches for 2022- Help Me Toss Some Names In A Hat Here

XFL Football discussion.
MGB01
MVP

Re: Potential XFL Head Coaches for 2022- Help Me Toss Some Names In A Hat Here

Post by MGB01 »

On the subject, let's take a look at how (or at least how many of) my sim coaches would fit into a second XFL reboot:

Kevin O'Connell: Not happening, the current Rams OC will be part of either the '22 or '23 head coaching cycle. Brandon Staley pretty much indicated as such when he was going to make him assistant with the Chargers (of course, assistant tags don't mean a whole hell of a lot, see Tom Cable--of course that's usually for guys that have already been run through).

Rex Ryan: Johnson and Garcia probably won't be a fan of him as an early Trump supporter, as well as the bravado (he likely claims the Bills success--even though they have what one player from 2016, a year he didn't even finish?). But in a league that employed Jerry Glanville, who wrote his own chapter in the book on it, why not?

Bob Stoops: Obviously I run my sim a bit differently than 2.0, but in my sim-styled Stoops presser, he did point out that a team with Dak, AB, Michael Bennett, and Grady Jarrett (all of whom have been cleaned out) was only able to go .500, they only finished a game below that with Kyle Allen as his QB, although the OL rebuild (the major reason for that) is going to take some time.

Matt Nagy: Also ain't happening, but a Belichick-style top dog would be great for the league (Nagy's KC Monarchs haven't lost a game since the 2018 X-Bowl).

Winston Moss: Yes, you can hear him laughing at Aaron Rodgers.

Ron Rivera: Again not happening but Rivera was among the first of the next-generation assistants, when he was let go as Bears DC after the 2006 season, to represent a sea change in the sim's coaches. Also was my head coach in another sim I was in around the same time.

Kris Richard: Already-discussed-at-length fav of mine, as Pete Carroll, who Richard also played for at SC in 2001 in addition to coaching at SC and in Seattle, called him a head-coach-in-waiting. Fun fact: In addition to PC and Mike Holmgren, Richard was also in camp with the Dolphins in 2005 under Nick Saban.

Omarr Smith: An Arena League lifer is probably an entire redefinition of under the radar. Losing to three-win Washington in the 2018 ArenaBowl probably isn't going to help his resume any but after every team worth anything started leaving the league you kind of have to throw everything out.

Joe Lombardi: The current Chargers OC will probably be on short lists too in future years, especially if he can get Justin Herbert to Allen/Mahomes level. Lombardi is a remnant of XFL1.0, having been an offensive assistant with the Hitmen.

Mike Jones: An assistant under Galen Hall in XFL1.0, was most recently OC at Tennessee State, though it's been a few years.

Marc Trestman: I remember reading about how Bud Carson fired him on the plane back from Denver as he was in the middle of his presentation on his offense for the next season............#$%& 31 years ago. Being that Elizondo is being thrown around as replacing Scott Milanovich in Edmonton, it's safe to say he should replace Trestman for any consideration.

Pep Hamilton: Here's a guy (in my best Cris Collinsworth) that will probably unfairly suffer the R-word (retread) more than anybody but I don't see it. That said, it might actually be the reverse head coach/coordinator stigma.

So out of those I would pare it down to Ryan, Stoops, Moss, Richard, Smith, Elizondo, Hamilton and figure out the eighth somewhere down the line.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

Pep Hamilton is getting interest in the NFL as an OC. He's not returning to the XFL unless he is fired after only one year.
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

GDAWG wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:53 pm Pep Hamilton is getting interest in the NFL as an OC. He's not returning to the XFL unless he is fired after only one year.
There's two spots--three if the Texans hire Bieniemy, Tennessee and Miami (Klint Kubiak is expected to take over for his father in Minnesota), and his competition is going to be at the very minimum Schottenheimer, Bevell, Gase (just not as a head coach ever again), Todd Monken, Mike Kafka, and even throw in Caldwell and Norv Turner. So there's good odds of him still being on the table.

Remember, he also interviewed for the UMD job right before he came available.
Last edited by MGB01 on Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rangersking669
Running Back

Post by Rangersking669 »

GregParks wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:43 pm I think the best way to look forward is to look back and ask ourselves, "where do secondary leagues get their head coaches?"

If we look at XFL 2020, the AAF, and even XFL 2001 as a guide since they're all the same size secondary leagues, we notice a few things:

-Of the 24 head coaches in those leagues, 11 had been out of coaching football for more than a year or two before they were hired. So you have to look at coaches who have been away from the game for a little while.
-10 of the 24 had previous NFL head coaching experience, while eight were college head coaches (there's some overlap there too). Others had CFL and NFLE head coaching on their resumes.
-Eight only reached as high as NFL position coach or coordinator.
-Very few actually left NFL/college jobs to go to these leagues - some, like Jonathan Hayes and Winston Moss, were brought aboard after their team's coaching staffs were fired at the end of the season. So it may be worth digging into teams like the Jets/Texans/Jaguars/etc. staffs from 2020 where head coaches have been fired to track who's been hired elsewhere and who hasn't.

Of course, all of this could be moot if the league brings back most of the coaches from 2020. No inside info, but I don't get the sense that'll happen. Then there are questions like, what will the new owners and Chief Football Officer value? Name recognition? Personality? Ties to the city? HC experience? Will the CFO have contacts in one place (NFL, college, other pro leagues) more than others to where they may draw from?

tl;dr: I dunno, how about Gregg Williams?
do we think doug marrone could be lured away from a bama ol job?
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

MGB01 wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:23 pm
GDAWG wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:53 pm Pep Hamilton is getting interest in the NFL as an OC. He's not returning to the XFL unless he is fired after only one year.
There's two spots--three if the Texans hire Bieniemy, Tennessee and Miami (Klint Kubiak is expected to take over for his father in Minnesota), and his competition is going to be at the very minimum Schottenheimer, Bevell, Gase (just not as a head coach ever again), Todd Monken, Mike Kafka, and even throw in Caldwell and Norv Turner. So there's good odds of him still being on the table.

If he doesn't get any OC jobs, there's a chance that Brandon Staley keeps him around as QB Coach. They haven't filled that spot yet.
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

Rangersking669 wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:25 pm
GregParks wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:43 pm I think the best way to look forward is to look back and ask ourselves, "where do secondary leagues get their head coaches?"

If we look at XFL 2020, the AAF, and even XFL 2001 as a guide since they're all the same size secondary leagues, we notice a few things:

-Of the 24 head coaches in those leagues, 11 had been out of coaching football for more than a year or two before they were hired. So you have to look at coaches who have been away from the game for a little while.
-10 of the 24 had previous NFL head coaching experience, while eight were college head coaches (there's some overlap there too). Others had CFL and NFLE head coaching on their resumes.
-Eight only reached as high as NFL position coach or coordinator.
-Very few actually left NFL/college jobs to go to these leagues - some, like Jonathan Hayes and Winston Moss, were brought aboard after their team's coaching staffs were fired at the end of the season. So it may be worth digging into teams like the Jets/Texans/Jaguars/etc. staffs from 2020 where head coaches have been fired to track who's been hired elsewhere and who hasn't.

Of course, all of this could be moot if the league brings back most of the coaches from 2020. No inside info, but I don't get the sense that'll happen. Then there are questions like, what will the new owners and Chief Football Officer value? Name recognition? Personality? Ties to the city? HC experience? Will the CFO have contacts in one place (NFL, college, other pro leagues) more than others to where they may draw from?

tl;dr: I dunno, how about Gregg Williams?
do we think doug marrone could be lured away from a bama ol job?
No.
@gregmparks
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

MGB01 wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:23 pm

UPDATE: Texans go with David Culley, who will be the oldest rookie head coach in NFL history--that I'm aware of at the moment anyway. So two spots remain, both are probably as likely as each other.

I am in agreement however that whoever Johnson's people are, they better make one hell of a pitch to get Hamilton back if he decides against settling for a position gig.
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

Chargers are hiring Shane Day as their QBs coach. And Bevell will be OC in Jacksonville.

There are not a lot of spots left for Pep, but I do think he'll get hired somewhere in the NFL. Even if it's in a non-traditional role (pass game coordinator, assistant head coach, etc.).
@gregmparks
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

Pep to Texans as QB coach per Tom Pelissero on Twitter.
@gregmparks
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

Very disappointing that the XFL wasn't in a position to recruit Pep back. Maybe he wouldn't have been interested anyway, but at least from the outside, he was great for D.C.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion