Potential XFL Head Coaches for 2022- Help Me Toss Some Names In A Hat Here

XFL Football discussion.
GDAWG
MVP

Re: Potential XFL Head Coaches for 2022- Help Me Toss Some Names In A Hat Here

Post by GDAWG »

Brian Billick last coached in 2006. If he wanted to coach again, he would have done so already, whether it be high school or even college. I don't think he wants to coach again. Him, Mariucci, Bill Cowher, Tony Dungy......None of them seem to want to go back to coaching again and Dungy has retired. Yes, Gruden came back to the NFL and Herm Edwards is coaching at Arizona State, but they're the exception, not the norm. I am of the opinion that if a former NFL Coach last coached before 2010 and he hasn't been back within the last few years, he's never returning to coaching at any level.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

Scott Milanovich has resigned to pursue NFL opportunities, the team announced on Monday.
https://www.cfl.ca/2021/01/25/milanovic ... ead-coach/
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
Rangersking669
Running Back

Post by Rangersking669 »

Tank55 wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:07 pm
Scott Milanovich has resigned to pursue NFL opportunities, the team announced on Monday.
https://www.cfl.ca/2021/01/25/milanovic ... ead-coach/
I don't think a current CFL HC is leaving for the XFL especially with NFL opportunities in hand
Rangersking669
Running Back

Post by Rangersking669 »

GDAWG wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:35 pm Brian Billick last coached in 2006. If he wanted to coach again, he would have done so already, whether it be high school or even college. I don't think he wants to coach again. Him, Mariucci, Bill Cowher, Tony Dungy......None of them seem to want to go back to coaching again and Dungy has retired. Yes, Gruden came back to the NFL and Herm Edwards is coaching at Arizona State, but they're the exception, not the norm. I am of the opinion that if a former NFL Coach last coached before 2010 and he hasn't been back within the last few years, he's never returning to coaching at any level.
College is way too much stress for an ex pro coach. He's stayed attached to the game. I'm not saying it's likely but put an offer out there at least
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

I think the best way to look forward is to look back and ask ourselves, "where do secondary leagues get their head coaches?"

If we look at XFL 2020, the AAF, and even XFL 2001 as a guide since they're all the same size secondary leagues, we notice a few things:

-Of the 24 head coaches in those leagues, 11 had been out of coaching football for more than a year or two before they were hired. So you have to look at coaches who have been away from the game for a little while.
-10 of the 24 had previous NFL head coaching experience, while eight were college head coaches (there's some overlap there too). Others had CFL and NFLE head coaching on their resumes.
-Eight only reached as high as NFL position coach or coordinator.
-Very few actually left NFL/college jobs to go to these leagues - some, like Jonathan Hayes and Winston Moss, were brought aboard after their team's coaching staffs were fired at the end of the season. So it may be worth digging into teams like the Jets/Texans/Jaguars/etc. staffs from 2020 where head coaches have been fired to track who's been hired elsewhere and who hasn't.

Of course, all of this could be moot if the league brings back most of the coaches from 2020. No inside info, but I don't get the sense that'll happen. Then there are questions like, what will the new owners and Chief Football Officer value? Name recognition? Personality? Ties to the city? HC experience? Will the CFO have contacts in one place (NFL, college, other pro leagues) more than others to where they may draw from?

tl;dr: I dunno, how about Gregg Williams?
@gregmparks
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

GregParks wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:43 pm I think the best way to look forward is to look back and ask ourselves, "where do secondary leagues get their head coaches?"

If we look at XFL 2020, the AAF, and even XFL 2001 as a guide since they're all the same size secondary leagues, we notice a few things:

-Of the 24 head coaches in those leagues, 11 had been out of coaching football for more than a year or two before they were hired. So you have to look at coaches who have been away from the game for a little while.
-10 of the 24 had previous NFL head coaching experience, while eight were college head coaches (there's some overlap there too). Others had CFL and NFLE head coaching on their resumes.
-Eight only reached as high as NFL position coach or coordinator.
-Very few actually left NFL/college jobs to go to these leagues - some, like Jonathan Hayes and Winston Moss, were brought aboard after their team's coaching staffs were fired at the end of the season. So it may be worth digging into teams like the Jets/Texans/Jaguars/etc. staffs from 2020 where head coaches have been fired to track who's been hired elsewhere and who hasn't.

Of course, all of this could be moot if the league brings back most of the coaches from 2020. No inside info, but I don't get the sense that'll happen. Then there are questions like, what will the new owners and Chief Football Officer value? Name recognition? Personality? Ties to the city? HC experience? Will the CFO have contacts in one place (NFL, college, other pro leagues) more than others to where they may draw from?

tl;dr: I dunno, how about Gregg Williams?
No to Gregg Williams. He's an arrogant idiot and bounty gate will always tarnish his legacy.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

GregParks wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:43 pm tl;dr: I dunno, how about Gregg Williams?
Dear god, definitely not. Definitely qualified as a coach, but XFL coaches have a lot of non-football responsibilities, and I don't think Dr. Heat is the guy we want in that role.

Edit: How about Norv Turner?
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

The suggestion of Williams was (mostly) tongue-in-cheek.
@gregmparks
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

We're not running an AIDS convention here, Greg.
laxtreme56
Coach

Post by laxtreme56 »

I'd love to see Rex Ryan take over the Guardians when they return. This guy had a great relationship with the NY media and even got a standing ovation by Jets fans at his last home game. The guy has the personality to keep the league relevant while also being an above average coach overall to boost the XFL's legitimacy.