San Antonio, TX- XFL Expansion/Relocation Discussion Bonanza

XFL Football discussion.
Tank55
Head Coach

Re: San Antonio, TX- XFL Expansion/Relocation Discussion Bonanza

Post by Tank55 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:13 pm

I went to the Apollos-Commanders game -- the crowd was hot. And they were really locked in on the game, much more so than the crowd at the XFL game in DC I made it to. That crowd was fun and lively, but it was more of a "beer snake first, football second" vibe.
GregParks wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:14 pm
I thought aesthetically it looked good on TV for XFL games, and liked how it looked "different" from other stadiums.
Agreed. They didn't do a great job with the audio, but it looked cool on TV and was a fun, different venue.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion

Rangersking669
Running Back

Post by Rangersking669 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:32 pm

Tank55 wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:13 pm
I went to the Apollos-Commanders game -- the crowd was hot. And they were really locked in on the game, much more so than the crowd at the XFL game in DC I made it to. That crowd was fun and lively, but it was more of a "beer snake first, football second" vibe.
GregParks wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:14 pm
I thought aesthetically it looked good on TV for XFL games, and liked how it looked "different" from other stadiums.
Agreed. They didn't do a great job with the audio, but it looked cool on TV and was a fun, different venue.
It's fun and different but like any venue it has it's limitations. The football first crowd is more in St Louis and Houston imo

GoDogs
Running Back

Post by GoDogs » Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:13 pm

“Not a bad name. I would try to see if I can get the trademark for "San Antonio Commanders" though.
[/quote]

Yes 110%!!!!

...I know, 3 Texas teams, logo from a defuct league. But..

Aesthetically it’s perfect. Color scheme would fit right in XFL 2.0. The mascot’s strong, works for the city. The logo’s solid, no changes needed. Got a short successful history. And the fan base, can’t be beat.

I would absolutely circle the date between ”the Commanders vs the Battlehawks”!!!! San Antonio fans will come out show their force!! Out draw St. Louis?

Merchandising would still pull $$$.

Rangersking669
Running Back

Post by Rangersking669 » Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:05 am

GoDogs wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:13 pm
“Not a bad name. I would try to see if I can get the trademark for "San Antonio Commanders" though.
Yes 110%!!!!

Aesthetically it’s perfect. Color scheme would fit right in XFL 2.0. The mascot’s strong, works for the city. The logo’s solid, no changes needed. Got a short successful history. And the fan base, can’t be beat.

I would absolutely circle the date between ”the Commanders vs the Battlehawks”!!!! San Antonio fans will come out show their force!! Out draw St. Louis?

[/quote]
the fan base would show out regardless of the team name unless it was just horrendous

GoDogs
Running Back

Post by GoDogs » Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:50 am

Rangersking669 wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:05 am
GoDogs wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:13 pm
Yes 110%!!!!

the fan base would show out regardless of the team name unless it was just horrendous
[/quote]
Agreed. But “the Commanders” theme would be plug and play. Its redemption for invested fans in the AAF version, to then flex their muscles as the best fan base period. The colors work aesthetically against what we (XFL) already have (vs another black with ...team, no one wants purple...unless your in Minnesota...and it didn’t work in Birmingham in XFL 1.0).

Adding a new franchise with another theme, making it the third in the same state, for the average fan might be too much. But a redemption, validation storyline (and aesthetically) would play better.

Rangersking669
Running Back

Post by Rangersking669 » Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:33 pm

GoDogs wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:50 am

Agreed. But “the Commanders” theme would be plug and play. Its redemption for invested fans in the AAF version, to then flex their muscles as the best fan base period. The colors work aesthetically against what we (XFL) already have (vs another black with ...team, no one wants purple...unless your in Minnesota...and it didn’t work in Birmingham in XFL 1.0).

Adding a new franchise with another theme, making it the third in the same state, for the average fan might be too much. But a redemption, validation storyline (and aesthetically) would play better.
The XFL isn't even going to be in the market until at least 2025 and I wouldn't be surprised if it's not until 2027. Why revive a team name from 6 years ago just because it has decent attendance, when it could get you in hot water later?