San Antonio, TX- XFL Expansion/Relocation Discussion Bonanza

XFL Football discussion.
4th&long
MVP

Re: San Antonio, TX- XFL Expansion/Relocation Discussion Bonanza

Post by 4th&long »

Coffeeeyes wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:16 pm
Tank55 wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:57 am Well, it didn't outperform St. Louis either. But the Commanders were rocking. I was at the Apollos game; very, very impressive.

I think your mistake is to think of this as "a gate driven league." That's not how the XFL thinks of itself.

That's not to say San Antonio can't be a fit, especially if this turns into a spring/summer league. But it's why it would be a Plan B behind Houston and Dallas.
Yeah you're right, the XFL doesn't see itself as a gate driven league and that's how it should be, especially because then it just limits itself but my point still stands. San Antonio as a market is most definitely the go to for any possible relocation, especially for markets that didn't perform particularly good with fans.
They are looking for a lucrative TV contract, they are listening to the TV networks/streamers. They want eyeballs and that comes from big TV markets. SA isn't one of them.
Coffeeeyes
Quarterback

Re: San Antonio, TX- XFL Expansion/Relocation Discussion Bonanza

Post by Coffeeeyes »

4th&long wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:34 pm
Coffeeeyes wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:16 pm
Tank55 wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:57 am Well, it didn't outperform St. Louis either. But the Commanders were rocking. I was at the Apollos game; very, very impressive.

I think your mistake is to think of this as "a gate driven league." That's not how the XFL thinks of itself.

That's not to say San Antonio can't be a fit, especially if this turns into a spring/summer league. But it's why it would be a Plan B behind Houston and Dallas.
Yeah you're right, the XFL doesn't see itself as a gate driven league and that's how it should be, especially because then it just limits itself but my point still stands. San Antonio as a market is most definitely the go to for any possible relocation, especially for markets that didn't perform particularly good with fans.
They are looking for a lucrative TV contract, they are listening to the TV networks/streamers. They want eyeballs and that comes from big TV markets. SA isn't one of them.
I would say that the Spurs are proof otherwise, but they're a team that had a long history of winning and a lot of bandwagon fans in the mid 2000s.

I think San Antonio, even if not a relocation, is the first expansion they should go to. San Antonio is unique as a city because it is the only one out of the three (Houston, Dallas and SA) that naturally attracts fans from the Rio Grande, Mexico and West Texas cause of San Antonio's naturally huge hispanic population and heritage. I just hope if a relocation/expansion does happen, the Commanders name is thrown out and something much more marketable and central to the identity of the city.