Sports and Opening up

XFL Football discussion.
4th&long
MVP

Sports and Opening up

Post by 4th&long »

I had espoused that the lockdowns would be over after the election. Well I was wrong, but on the right track. They waited till the transition but now there is growing pressure and will by Dem states and cities to open up. My reasoning was they'd milked it for political reasons (and some legit too) but now they just want the $$$ so its time to open up, they say! Covid be damned!

https://www.outkick.com/chicago-mayor-l ... open-asap/

You'll be seeing more and the XFL could have had a short season to retain interest after all (possibly a later start but I laid out my hybrid version). I hope other leagues (TSL and indoor) can move forward.
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Re: Sports and Opening up

Post by GregParks »

Why is it SO DIFFICULT to leave the political rhetoric out of an XFL message board? Come on.
@gregmparks
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

GregParks wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:28 pm Why is it SO DIFFICULT to leave the political rhetoric out of an XFL message board? Come on.
Sorry GP was just rehashing what I posted and why they would end.

Point I was really trying to make is the XFL could have had a season in 2021. I'm concerned that they were just stalling. We are now midway through January, do you have any XFL news?

I'm hopeful the remaining indoor leagues play so some of these players have a home (not that they pay much). And I hope the TSL, coming off the baptism by fire, returns on FS1.
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

We've been round and round on this and I don't think we're going to change each other's mind: COVID was but ONE part of why the XFL didn't restart in 2021. If the XFL existed in a vacuum and could make every decision themselves, I'm sure they would've chosen to play. Dany Garcia said as much. But having to hire coaching staffs, rehire players, front office staffs for teams and league office, negotiate leases for stadiums, office space, and practice facilities in each city, not to mention TV contracts (yes TSL got one but something tells me it's not as complicated financially as an XFL deal would be) and the uncertainty about what timeslots networks could offer with college basketball at the time up in the air and even now games being moved all around.

That's in addition to COVID issues - yes they had a bubble plan, but was that still viable all this time later? We don't know much about what was actually IN the plan. What about the financial hit of constant testing that would be needed, housing players, etc? And the uncertainty about whether or not they'd be able to make up any deficit with ticket sales? This was not as simple as saying "we're gonna play in 2021" and then all the dominoes needed magically falling into place.

And while I don't have any XFL news, I don't ascribe that to incompetence as you do. But again, we're clearly not going to change each other's minds on that.
@gregmparks
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

We still have a moratorium against political discussion.

Topic locked.