How XFL players fared in the NFL in 2020

XFL Football discussion.
MarkNelson
UFLBoard Correspondent

How XFL players fared in the NFL in 2020

Post by MarkNelson »

Article by Greg Parks:

How XFL players fared in the NFL in 2020 (Part I) - Features players on AFC non-playoff teams.

https://xflboard.com/news/how-xfl-playe ... -part-one/
XFLBoard https://xflboard.com/news/author/mnelson/
XFLXtra https://xflboard.com/xfl-xtra/
Author: “XFL 2020: Rise and Fall” https://xfl2020book.com
Coming soon: “XFL 2023: Rise”
Favourite Leagues: XFL and CFL | Fan of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers
Joker
Quarterback

Re: How XFL players fared in the NFL in 2020

Post by Joker »

It is so great to track how these players did in the NFL. It reminds the world that many players in the XFL are worthy of another chance in the big league.
Fan of the XFL from the beginning. You may remember me from the original XFLboard.
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

What struck me most about doing this project was just how many players advanced to the NFL, and stuck on rosters or practice squads, who were backups or minimal contributors in the XFL. For example, there were TWO third-string tight-ends in the XFL who landed on NFL teams. The most well-known XFL-backup-turned-NFL-player example now is Taylor Heinicke, who played behind Jordan Ta'amu in St. Louis.

While we use the excuse that "NFL scouts miss on players" to advocate for leagues like the XFL, it appears that XFL scouts miss, too. That, and sometimes it's more about system fits and how a player projects into a certain defensive/offensive system as anything else. And of course, timing and who you know play a part as well.
@gregmparks
Rangersking669
Running Back

Post by Rangersking669 »

GregParks wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:11 pm What struck me most about doing this project was just how many players advanced to the NFL, and stuck on rosters or practice squads, who were backups or minimal contributors in the XFL. For example, there were TWO third-string tight-ends in the XFL who landed on NFL teams. The most well-known XFL-backup-turned-NFL-player example now is Taylor Heinicke, who played behind Jordan Ta'amu in St. Louis.

While we use the excuse that "NFL scouts miss on players" to advocate for leagues like the XFL, it appears that XFL scouts miss, too. That, and sometimes it's more about system fits and how a player projects into a certain defensive/offensive system as anything else. And of course, timing and who you know play a part as well.
Yeah, for example I definitely think Ta'amu starting in St Louis was a system and league fit situation. Ta'amu made way more sense to start in this league than Heinicke and was the system fit. Ta'amu is no slouch either to be honest and I'm curious to see if he sticks around in Detroit
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

Rangersking669 wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:34 am
GregParks wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:11 pm What struck me most about doing this project was just how many players advanced to the NFL, and stuck on rosters or practice squads, who were backups or minimal contributors in the XFL. For example, there were TWO third-string tight-ends in the XFL who landed on NFL teams. The most well-known XFL-backup-turned-NFL-player example now is Taylor Heinicke, who played behind Jordan Ta'amu in St. Louis.

Yeah, for example I definitely think Ta'amu starting in St Louis was a system and league fit situation. Ta'amu made way more sense to start in this league than Heinicke and was the system fit. Ta'amu is no slouch either to be honest and I'm curious to see if he sticks around in Detroit
Ta'amu didn't sign a futures contract with Detroit, so he's now a free agent (as is my understanding).
@gregmparks
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

GregParks wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:44 am

Ta'amu didn't sign a futures contract with Detroit, so he's now a free agent (as is my understanding).
Well, he's not a free agent anymore - he's back on Kansas City's practice squad as of today.
@gregmparks
Rangersking669
Running Back

Post by Rangersking669 »

GregParks wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:44 am

and he's back in KC now on the practice squad