NFL opposes trademark of Roughnecks logo

XFL Football discussion.
Tank55
MVP

NFL opposes trademark of Roughnecks logo

Post by Tank55 »

The NFL has opposed a trademark application for the XFL's Houston Roughnecks logo.

On December 28th, the NFL filed court documents claiming the Roughneck's logo was too similar to the Houston Oiler's logo.
https://twitter.com/JoshGerben/status/1 ... 6838659073
Last edited by Tank55 on Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Re: NFL opposes Roughnecks logo

Post by GregParks »

1) Not surprised it was challenged, as I remember the talk at the time the logo was released being how similar it was to the Houston Oilers.

2) I AM surprised it took so long - more than a year after the logo was first released publicly? Seems odd.
@gregmparks
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

I asked my patent attorney friend; it didn't strike him as abnormal. Part of the process is gathering data about how you are harmed by the other party's logo. So from that perspective, letting the first season play out makes some sense.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

Tank55 wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:47 pm I asked my patent attorney friend; it didn't strike him as abnormal. Part of the process is gathering data about how you are harmed by the other party's logo. So from that perspective, letting the first season play out makes some sense.
That’s fair. I just didn’t anticipate how much legal knowledge I’d need before covering a football league. Considering all I have is what I learned watching “The Practice” and “Boston Legal,” I certainly feel out of my depth on some of these bankruptcy/lawsuit/patent issues!
@gregmparks