TV Rights deals - Gen discussion

XFL Football discussion.
4th&long
Coach
Posts: 936
Joined: Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:27 pm

TV Rights deals - Gen discussion

Post by 4th&long » Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:58 pm

https://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2020/1 ... ights-mlb/

>> Report: NFL looking to keep status quo in next media deals

The NFL is trending toward maintaining its current television line-up of Sunday afternoon games on CBS and FOX, Sunday night games on NBC and Monday night games on ESPN, the New York Post reported this week. Per the report, the Monday night package could be modified to include more ABC simulcasts, late season flexible scheduling, and inclusion in the Super Bowl rotation.

Thursday Night Football would be an exception to the status quo. As Sports Business Journal first reported earlier this week, the networks have told the NFL that they are not interested in the package. According to the Post, Amazon — which currently has non-exclusive streaming rights to TNF — may be a favorite to acquire the rights.

Upon consummation, the new deals are expected to last ten years and “far exceed” $10 billion/year in total value, per the Post. The league currently generates close to $8 billion/year from its national media partners. [NYP 12.16] <<

IMO the TV nets would be wise to open up the wallet and get TNF, if APV (Amazon Prime Video) gets there foot further in the door (they had exclusive coverage of their 1st game on 12/26/20 - Cards-Rams) and gets established as an alternative or a legit option for all broadcast.... look out. (I know they are the streaming simulcast as well but I'm talking about being the prime viewing method)

And don't count out NetFlix as if they see APV making moves they will at some point too.

I'm not a big fan of these streaming services, I used NF during pandemic, and Disney+ here and there, with a trial of APV to watch the AZ 12/26 game, but its alot of garbage with a few semi-precious originals and alot of oldies (good and bad). Getting LIVE sports would be a huge draw IMO.

APV had a very strong for streaming only 4.8mm viewers for their 12/26 NFL game. The NFL now has proof that APV get draw and TNF being on a limited access NFLN and APV together makes sense to both parties. But if I'm the traditional nets - I'm not letting that door open.

Comparing the MktValues of the players:
Amazon $1.5 trillion
Disney 320 billion
NetFlix 230 billion
Comcast 230 billion
AT&T 210 billion (time warner/direct tv)

CBS 22 billion
Fox 18 billion (new Fox post selloff of major assets to disney)

Mkt value does not mean revenue but clearly the streaming centric companies have more value and can dish out stock or debt to acquire licensing rights much easier than CBS or FOX.

Reports are saying these companies feel that cable subscriptions could fall to 50-60mm USA in 5 yrs and then stabilize. Fox has to fill its primary network and its 2 sports centric nets with programming. CBS too a lesser extent. And even if Disney-ESPN has the $$ muscle they still have much more air time to fill.

It will be very interesting to see what, where, when and how all sports including alt leagues fit into this equation.

The impact on the XFL or all lower tiered sports may be a net positive.
Last edited by 4th&long on Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GDAWG
Head Coach
Posts: 1079
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:15 pm

Re: TV Rights deals - Gen discussion

Post by GDAWG » Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:29 pm

If anything, the next TV deal for the NFL will automatically recoup losses incurred by the NFL due to COVID-19.

4th&long
Coach
Posts: 936
Joined: Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:27 pm

Re: TV Rights deals - Gen discussion

Post by 4th&long » Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:41 pm

GDAWG wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:29 pm
If anything, the next TV deal for the NFL will automatically recoup losses incurred by the NFL due to COVID-19.
The impact to the NFL for Covid was minimal as all games were played. Of course there is a cost - but the league will not suffer a loss in 2020 - esp with NFL rev primarily from TV. Also remember many stadiums to have limited attendance, so even gate is not a full loss. Stadium owners and consessions were the big losers.

The next contract will be a monster.

XFL or something else will arise ... football rules tv

User avatar
johnnyangryfuzzball
Coach
Posts: 852
Joined: Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:22 pm

Re: TV Rights deals - Gen discussion

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball » Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:47 pm

Netflix has repeatedly been offered live sports but has declined. Their infrastructure is not built for it; it's all pre-recorded content. Everything is video-on-demand for them, and you'll notice they release their videos in the middle of the night to spread out a rush.

But the fact that even Fox now has soured on TNF is interesting. They, of course, ended up with the contract after they upped their bid when CBS and NBC wanted a lower rights fee.

So with CBS, NBC, Fox all out...and Netflix a non-factor in the sports realm... the NFL is facing a dilemma. It's a small part of the TV package, but TNF was drawing about 10% of the overall TV rights fees for the league—not insignificant, especially with gate revenues taking such a huge hit this year.

Remember, they're legally prohibited from Friday nights and all day Saturday for most of the season, both days that might be more attractive to networks and advertisers. The 1961 rule is simply outdated—high school football is not dependent on attendance and has never been a major TV product. This brings up an interesting point: the law explicitly mentions "broadcasting" games... meaning over the air on an FCC licensed station. Internet would not constitute a broadcast in the legal sense—nor would cable. If the league were to drop its requirement that every game be broadcast, it would no longer be bound by the act if it launched an NFL Friday Night package exclusively on a streaming provider.

But you'd have to find a willing partner to pay, that not only would have the critical mass and infrastructure to put the game on millions of screens, but be willing to fork over what will likely amount to nearly a billion dollars a year to do so. Amazon pays less than a tenth of that right now for its co-streaming rights. They, Disney (Hulu/Disney+/ESPN+), Google and Facebook are probably the only ones who could pull that off—and Disney already pays above and beyond the others for MNF alone so they might already be at their limit.

4th&long
Coach
Posts: 936
Joined: Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:27 pm

Re: TV Rights deals - Gen discussion

Post by 4th&long » Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:29 am

johnnyangryfuzzball wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:47 pm
Netflix has repeatedly been offered live sports but has declined. Their infrastructure is not built for it; it's all pre-recorded content. Everything is video-on-demand for them, and you'll notice they release their videos in the middle of the night to spread out a rush.

But the fact that even Fox now has soured on TNF is interesting. They, of course, ended up with the contract after they upped their bid when CBS and NBC wanted a lower rights fee.

So with CBS, NBC, Fox all out...and Netflix a non-factor in the sports realm... the NFL is facing a dilemma. It's a small part of the TV package, but TNF was drawing about 10% of the overall TV rights fees for the league—not insignificant, especially with gate revenues taking such a huge hit this year.

Remember, they're legally prohibited from Friday nights and all day Saturday for most of the season, both days that might be more attractive to networks and advertisers. The 1961 rule is simply outdated—high school football is not dependent on attendance and has never been a major TV product. This brings up an interesting point: the law explicitly mentions "broadcasting" games... meaning over the air on an FCC licensed station. Internet would not constitute a broadcast in the legal sense—nor would cable. If the league were to drop its requirement that every game be broadcast, it would no longer be bound by the act if it launched an NFL Friday Night package exclusively on a streaming provider.

But you'd have to find a willing partner to pay, that not only would have the critical mass and infrastructure to put the game on millions of screens, but be willing to fork over what will likely amount to nearly a billion dollars a year to do so. Amazon pays less than a tenth of that right now for its co-streaming rights. They, Disney (Hulu/Disney+/ESPN+), Google and Facebook are probably the only ones who could pull that off—and Disney already pays above and beyond the others for MNF alone so they might already be at their limit.
Good point on the FN pkg.

As far as TNF - the NFL teaming up with APV might make alot of sense to both.

NFLN wont have to share the viewing cable audience with a network; while APV has more potential viewers as NFLN is on far fewer cable households than Fox or CBS (for example)

MGB01
Coach
Posts: 878
Joined: Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:42 pm

Re: TV Rights deals - Gen discussion

Post by MGB01 » Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:44 pm

If FOX is "soured" on TNF, well remember Buck and Aikman take all the single-game Sundays off during TNF, they'd rather have them for all 17. Plus the NFL flexed a few games over to CBS that in prior years would have been Buck/Aikman at 1:00

It's all chest-puffing anyway, they briefly did the same 'fire and fury' bit when the NFL put a Sunday night game opposite the World Series. That said, I'd rather they go back to NFLN exclusively or streaming, putting it on either CBS or FOX which already have your Sunday afternoons was dumb in the first place.

User avatar
Tank55
Head Coach
Posts: 1228
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:57 pm

Re: TV Rights deals - Gen discussion

Post by Tank55 » Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:37 pm

johnnyangryfuzzball wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:47 pm
This brings up an interesting point: the law explicitly mentions "broadcasting" games... meaning over the air on an FCC licensed station. Internet would not constitute a broadcast in the legal sense—nor would cable. If the league were to drop its requirement that every game be broadcast, it would no longer be bound by the act if it launched an NFL Friday Night package exclusively on a streaming provider.
That's a fascinating point. I think the NFL has really benefited from college and high school football being allowed to flourish on Fridays and Saturdays. It's made the football ecosystem much more robust -- there are many more paths to becoming an NFL consumer as opposed to, say, an MLB consumer. But like you point out, that hasn't really been because of foresight or discipline. I'm sure the NFL would colonize that real estate if they could, for better or for worse.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion

GregParks
XFLBoard Correspondent
Posts: 538
Joined: Tue May 28, 2019 8:09 pm

Re: TV Rights deals - Gen discussion

Post by GregParks » Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:49 pm

Sports Business Journal reported today that NBCSN is shutting down and moving its major sports (NASCAR, NHL, etc.) to the USA Network. Not sure how serious NBC would've been in bidding on the XFL TV rights, but this seems to take away a potential bidder unless they want to keep compiling sports properties for USA. I guess we'll have to see how USA is able to balance scripted shows/NCIS repeats with sports and if they eventually get rebranded.
@gregmparks

4th&long
Coach
Posts: 936
Joined: Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:27 pm

Re: TV Rights deals - Gen discussion

Post by 4th&long » Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:45 pm

GregParks wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:49 pm
Sports Business Journal reported today that NBCSN is shutting down and moving its major sports (NASCAR, NHL, etc.) to the USA Network. Not sure how serious NBC would've been in bidding on the XFL TV rights, but this seems to take away a potential bidder unless they want to keep compiling sports properties for USA. I guess we'll have to see how USA is able to balance scripted shows/NCIS repeats with sports and if they eventually get rebranded.
WOW Good catch GP.... This is huge!

This is part of the end of Cable (or consolidation), for years cable stations spread like a disease with more and more watered down content. But a dedicated sports channel? Wow, serves them right... piss poor TV shows for a decade or more, they opened to door to Streaming and now they are in the process of converting to that (Peacock streaming by NBC) and consolidating their cable nets. You'll see alot more of this ...

For years I've stated that TV (or OTT now) is what will drive revenue for alt-FB but it looks like Streaming may end up killing cable sooner (with w/many home due to covid it appears to have spred it up).
How fast this impacts traditional TV (Fox) vs pure play Streaming services (NetFix & Prime video), vs Hybrids (DisneyPlus-ABC-ESPN) will be interesting. Now we see the wisdom of Murduch selling much of Fox to Disney.

Thing is WallStreet is rewarding streaming companies with high stk valuations while TV/Movie corps MUCH less so.

How this impacts Alt-FB will be interesting.

FYI
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/all/nbc-sh ... n-n1255366

>>Much of NBCSN’s sports programming will move to USA Network and to Peacock, the company’s new streaming service.

The announcement comes amid a broader effort at NBC to consolidate its operations, a strategy that could see the closure of other channels. The ongoing Covid-19 pandemic has also forced cost-cutting across numerous companies, including NBCUniversal.<<

Again WOW.

Also talk of TW selling CNN/TNT/TBS has been around for months so more to come.

MGB01
Coach
Posts: 878
Joined: Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:42 pm

Re: TV Rights deals - Gen discussion

Post by MGB01 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:21 pm

USA is in more homes than NBCSN (86M to 80M), no surprise here.

When ND/Clemson was shifted to USA as well as the USF game for the US Open, where in past years these went to NBCSN the writing was on the wall.

Wonder if NBC, in addition to Notre Dame, may take on some additional college conference rights on a secondary basis given USA's history (brief as it was) with the NCAA in the early 80s. Similar to how they did a handful of Big East basketball games in the mid 90s after ND joined. This would put them on all Saturdays instead of just seven or eight. The Pac 12 (which did have games on NBCSN predecessor Versus) could be a candidate.

Post Reply