New Starting QB Options for 2022 Discussion- Chad Kelly, 27.9 yo at Presumed 2/13/2022 Kickoff

XFL Football discussion.
Rangersking669
Running Back

New Starting QB Options for 2022 Discussion- Chad Kelly, 27.9 yo at Presumed 2/13/2022 Kickoff

Post by Rangersking669 »

Starting QB's for XFL 2022 are likely pretty up in the air outside of Jordan Ta'amu and Luis Perez(assuming they are still FA's which is probable and that they decide to return, which would make sense but is by no means a guarantee), as 2 of the league's other top QB's are currently in the NFL(and have a pretty good shot to stick around one way or another) and the rest are pretty questionable in terms of job security. With that being considered, I figured we could start discussing other options for the XFL to turn to, focusing mostly(if not entirely) on players who were not available to the XFL because they were signed to an NFL team either on the active roster, on a futures contract after being signed to a practice squad, or in college. Let's compare these guys to the existing guys still remaining from XFL 2020 that actually played and whatever other players are available, whether they were in XFL 2020 as backups and are now FA's or are just now FA's with no prior XFL experience. No hypotheticals please, if they are in the NFL now on roster or PS there's no point discussing them with all the other options we know are available now and will likely continue to be available. Also, for suggestions to add to this list, my only requirement other than that they cannot currently be in the NFL in any capacity is that they can't be any of the following former established XFL names from 2020: Landry Jones, Taylor Cornelius, Cardale Jones, Brandon Silvers, BJ Daniels, Matt McGloin, Luis Perez, Jordan Ta'amu, Philip Nelson, Aaron Murray, Tyree Jackson, Quinton Flowers, Chad Kanoff, and Marquise Williams. All these guys had significant enough gametime to be considered a somewhat known XFL commodity in order to not be added to this discussion series. Feel more than free to discuss them in the comments below but just know I'm not making a thread about them being considered a "new" starting option, they'd be considered a returning starting option. Also, understand that while Luis Perez and Jordan Ta'amu both seemed to have solidified jobs should they choose to return to the league, considering the state of the XFL as an up and coming league, no job is truly untouchable. As for the reason I'm focusing on quarterbacks, it's just kind of difficult to pick out particular names at any other position, it's almost a crapshoot, and also a lot of the non QB talent from 2020 is probably good enough to stick around so it's harder to pinpoint specific players to come in to improve the league. Final note: I will not include Colin Kaepernick in this because there's really nothing left to discuss outside of the fact that he might be more attainable for the league than last time around due to the new ownership and their policies. But from a football perspective, everything that could be said about him and every side anyone has been on has already been put out there, this platform included I'm pretty sure. No need to kick a dead horse here.

Here are the other names remaining that I plan on being in this series(no particular order): Connor Cook, J.T. Barrett, Brad Kaaya, Paxton Lynch, Anthony Gordon, Cole McDonald, Mason Fine, Nick Tiano, Steven Montez, Tanner Lee, Jake Rudock, Luke Falk, Cody Kessler, Shea Patterson, Alex McGough, Riley Neal, Brandon Doughty, Bryce Petty, McLeod Bethel-Thompson, (Insert # of Relevant 2021 Undrafted QB's)
Names I would include in this list if literally anyone ever broke down any tape on them(I can still include them later but I'd rather have guys with analyzed tape): Eric Dungey, Khalil Tate, Kyle Shurmur
One name I don't plan on including because they already had an xfl showcase and the league turned him down: Zach Mettenberger
Another name I don't plan on including because he got cut the first time around: Chase Litton

Starting off, we have a quarterback who likely has run out of chances in the NFL but has been pegged by many to be full of talent. His off the field problems are lengthy but largely in the past as far as I can tell(perhaps I am wrong on this, don't hesitate to call me out) and he has to have been humbled now that he's been cut once again. Below is film analysis on Chad Kelly(that I do not necessarily endorse or go against, I simply provide to show the perspective of some of his proponents and to allow other people who may not know much about him to see a glimpse of him for themselves without looking for just highlight tapes), in order of most recently to his college days. Based on your knowledge of him, should the XFL consider signing him? What role would you see him playing in the XFL? Which teams would fit his style of play and skillset best? Fire away in the comments below, I'm gonna sit back and enjoy some popcorn for this one, it's sure to be controversial. I'll be back later on to see how this progresses and chime in where I can, but I am by no means a QB guru or even a Football Guy (tm) so I will yield to those who know more about this than me. I can't wait to see what y'all have to say...

Chad Kelly 2019 Indianapolis Colts Preseason Analysis Versus Chicago Bears
Chad Kelly 2018 Denver Broncos Preseason Analysis Versus Chicago Bears
Chad Kelly 2018 Denver Broncos Preseason Analysis Versus Minnesota Vikings
Matt Waldman Analysis on Chad Kelly at University of Mississippi Pre-Injury
GDAWG
MVP

Re: New Starting QB Options for 2022 Discussion- Chad Kelly, 27.9 yo at Presumed 2/13/2022 Kickoff

Post by GDAWG »

Chad Kelly's off the field issues may be an issue.
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Re: New Starting QB Options for 2022 Discussion- Chad Kelly, 27.9 yo at Presumed 2/13/2022 Kickoff

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

Way too early to speculate.
Rangersking669
Running Back

Post by Rangersking669 »

GDAWG wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:06 pm Chad Kelly's off the field issues may be an issue.
Yeah perhaps but most of that seems to be in the past now
Rangersking669
Running Back

Post by Rangersking669 »

johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:43 pm Way too early to speculate.
It really isn't. Mini camps are only a year away, summer showcases(if they occur, they should) are kicking off in June. Things are gonna ramp up really fast starting in January...
Rangersking669
Running Back

Post by Rangersking669 »

I can always save this thread for around September next year once cuts are final but I thought it would be fun to talk now
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

Rangersking669 wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:04 pm
GDAWG wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:06 pm Chad Kelly's off the field issues may be an issue.
Same was said about Ryan Mallett and Trevone Boykin.

If Kelly can stay clean for the next year, sure he would be a solid addition. But if he screws up again, he's not going to play in the XFL.
Rangersking669
Running Back

Post by Rangersking669 »

GDAWG wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:05 pm
Rangersking669 wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:04 pm
Same was said about Ryan Mallett and Trevone Boykin.

If Kelly can stay clean for the next year, sure he would be a solid addition. But if he screws up again, he's not going to play in the XFL.
yeah for sure.
Rangersking669
Running Back

Post by Rangersking669 »

Anybody have suggestions to add to the list?
XFLInSTL
Running Back

Post by XFLInSTL »

McKenzie Milton (the UCF guy who had the bad knee injury two years ago) is another guy I would consider. He is currently in the transfer portal but back when he actually played was a legitimate star for the Knights.
St. Louis Battlehawks