New Starting QB Options for 2022 Discussion- Chad Kelly, 27.9 yo at Presumed 2/13/2022 Kickoff

XFL Football discussion.
User avatar
Tank55
Head Coach
Posts: 1160
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:57 pm

Re: New Starting QB Options for 2022 Discussion- Chad Kelly, 27.9 yo at Presumed 2/13/2022 Kickoff

Post by Tank55 » Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:36 pm

Milton's a good call and would be a nice story. I wonder if Sam Ehlinger would make any sense for the right coach.
2020 East Division Champions

XFLInSTL
Running Back
Posts: 113
Joined: Thu May 16, 2019 3:17 pm

Re: New Starting QB Options for 2022 Discussion- Chad Kelly, 27.9 yo at Presumed 2/13/2022 Kickoff

Post by XFLInSTL » Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:20 am

Tank55 wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:36 pm
Milton's a good call and would be a nice story. I wonder if Sam Ehlinger would make any sense for the right coach.
Ehlinger seems like a guy who will be a solid 4th or 5th round pick and will be a project QB for a couple of seasons. If the XFL sticks around until 2024 or so we might see him though.

Some other current college QBs I could see eventually showing up in the XFL are Ian Book from Notre Dame, Shane Buechele from SMU, Michael Penix Jr. from Indiana, Desmond Ridder from Cincinnati, Brady White from Memphis, Bo Nix from Auburn, and Matt Corral from Ole Miss. And then I'm sure we'll see a few quality guys come down from the NFL. Ta'Amu got cut by the Chiefs a couple of months ago, but there will of course be some guys from the past couple of drafts that will have exhausted their chances by the time 2022 comes around. I could see guys like Jacob Eason from Washington, Josh Rosen, Will Grier, or maybe even somebody like Blake Bortles who could be available when showcases and/or training camps start to heat up.
St. Louis Battlehawks

User avatar
Tank55
Head Coach
Posts: 1160
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:57 pm

Re: New Starting QB Options for 2022 Discussion- Chad Kelly, 27.9 yo at Presumed 2/13/2022 Kickoff

Post by Tank55 » Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:47 am

All great suggestions. Love Buechele, although I think he'll get a crack at the NFL. I think Book's a good call too.

We'll just have to see on Ehlinger. I don't think he's an NFL player unless he wants to play fullback or something. (To be honest, I'd even be pretty leery of the Defenders picking him up.) I'm rooting for him though; seems like a good guy.
2020 East Division Champions

User avatar
Firecop
Quarterback
Posts: 387
Joined: Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:10 pm

Re: New Starting QB Options for 2022 Discussion- Chad Kelly, 27.9 yo at Presumed 2/13/2022 Kickoff

Post by Firecop » Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:51 am

I would love to see Jacob Easonout of the U of Washington, he was a lot of fun to watch as a Husky!
Direct from the Dragon's Lair

GregParks
XFLBoard Correspondent
Posts: 522
Joined: Tue May 28, 2019 8:09 pm

Re: New Starting QB Options for 2022 Discussion- Chad Kelly, 27.9 yo at Presumed 2/13/2022 Kickoff

Post by GregParks » Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:25 pm

A lot of the players listed in this thread are fringe draftable prospects who will certainly get NFL opportunities next summer/fall (except Penix, who just tore his ACL and is only a sophomore).

What will be interesting is how much the XFL is willing to possibly overpay for "name" quarterbacks like, say, an Ehlinger or Buechele. Will they make competitive financial offers to try to tempt them away from an NFL practice squad next year? Just like last fall, players, not just QBs, will have decisions to make about whether to accept a practice squad spot/work the tryout circuit as rookies, or take an XFL deal.
@gregmparks

GDAWG
Head Coach
Posts: 1040
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:15 pm

Re: New Starting QB Options for 2022 Discussion- Chad Kelly, 27.9 yo at Presumed 2/13/2022 Kickoff

Post by GDAWG » Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:28 pm

Firecop wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:51 am
I would love to see Jacob Easonout of the U of Washington, he was a lot of fun to watch as a Husky!
He is with the Colts and would be the only one under contract for next year.

User avatar
Tank55
Head Coach
Posts: 1160
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:57 pm

Re: New Starting QB Options for 2022 Discussion- Chad Kelly, 27.9 yo at Presumed 2/13/2022 Kickoff

Post by Tank55 » Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:27 pm

Random thought, but depending how things shake out, Taylor Heinicke would probably be able to move some tickets in D.C.
2020 East Division Champions

Rangersking669
Running Back
Posts: 134
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:46 pm

Re: New Starting QB Options for 2022 Discussion- Chad Kelly, 27.9 yo at Presumed 2/13/2022 Kickoff

Post by Rangersking669 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:18 am

Tank55 wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:27 pm
Random thought, but depending how things shake out, Taylor Heinicke would probably be able to move some tickets in D.C.
Something tells me taylor has secured a future as a backup for the next 3 years with his performance tonight lol

Rangersking669
Running Back
Posts: 134
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:46 pm

Re: New Starting QB Options for 2022 Discussion- Chad Kelly, 27.9 yo at Presumed 2/13/2022 Kickoff

Post by Rangersking669 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:23 am

XFLInSTL wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:20 am
Tank55 wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:36 pm
Milton's a good call and would be a nice story. I wonder if Sam Ehlinger would make any sense for the right coach.
Ehlinger seems like a guy who will be a solid 4th or 5th round pick and will be a project QB for a couple of seasons. If the XFL sticks around until 2024 or so we might see him though.

Some other current college QBs I could see eventually showing up in the XFL are Ian Book from Notre Dame, Shane Buechele from SMU, Michael Penix Jr. from Indiana, Desmond Ridder from Cincinnati, Brady White from Memphis, Bo Nix from Auburn, and Matt Corral from Ole Miss. And then I'm sure we'll see a few quality guys come down from the NFL. Ta'Amu got cut by the Chiefs a couple of months ago, but there will of course be some guys from the past couple of drafts that will have exhausted their chances by the time 2022 comes around. I could see guys like Jacob Eason from Washington, Josh Rosen, Will Grier, or maybe even somebody like Blake Bortles who could be available when showcases and/or training camps start to heat up.
well really the xfl should only be focusing on guys for the 2022 season and not anybody that won't be available at that point. so most of those guys i don't see as available options. ridder is going back to cincy though, and a lot of those guys will probably be in the nfl on practice squads or as depth coming out of the draft. and we can't deny that the CFL is a contender. they just signed away mason fine who was on this very shortlist. whether he sticks or not is to be seen but he seems a very CFL type of quarterback.

User avatar
Tank55
Head Coach
Posts: 1160
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:57 pm

Re: New Starting QB Options for 2022 Discussion- Chad Kelly, 27.9 yo at Presumed 2/13/2022 Kickoff

Post by Tank55 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:57 am

Rangersking669 wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:18 am
Something tells me taylor has secured a future as a backup for the next 3 years with his performance tonight lol
You're not kidding. What a performance.
2020 East Division Champions

Post Reply