XFL Black Friday

XFL Football discussion.
Joker
Quarterback

XFL Black Friday

Post by Joker »

The XFL making a big deal selling merchandise on Black Friday tells you they are more interested in making a buck than anything else. Is there any promotional benefit to this other than to move some merch?
Fan of the XFL from the beginning. You may remember me from the original XFLboard.
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Re: XFL Black Friday

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

Joker wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:39 am The XFL making a big deal selling merchandise on Black Friday tells you they are more interested in making a buck than anything else. Is there any promotional benefit to this other than to move some merch?
Well, it keeps the league in the public eye until it can start playing again. Plus, it adds some much-needed capitalization, so I'd say "making a buck" isn't in this case a bad thing—so if they do have to eliminate/rebrand some teams, they've already liquidated the merchandise. (Hmm... maybe someone can look over if any teams have more discounted merch than others, read the tea leaves, if you will.)

I'd rather have a league interested in "making a buck" than doing what the USFL did and losing all sight of their financial necessities.
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

I thought it was a mistake for XFL2.0 not to have merch ready to move on Black Friday. Granted, this is a different situation with the league still being a year-plus away, but I'm sure it is more about liquidating existing merchandise and being able to make some money while doing so than anything else. The "new" merch is a hat and a shirt so expenses aren't going to be high - it's pretty much a no-lose situation for the league.

Also notice the hat appears to be made by New Era, a pretty big cap company. Wonder if that's a one-off or if the league has a deal with them?
@gregmparks
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:32 am (Hmm... maybe someone can look over if any teams have more discounted merch than others, read the tea leaves, if you will.)
On a whim, I chose a random Dallas Renegades t-shirt and it was 40% off at checkout; given the recent bankruptcy filing that the new owners of the league had come to terms on a new lease w/Globe Life Park, it seems safe to say the Renegades are staying around yet their merch is still discounted. So I think the tea leaves will be silent on this one.
@gregmparks
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

GregParks wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:45 am
johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:32 am (Hmm... maybe someone can look over if any teams have more discounted merch than others, read the tea leaves, if you will.)
On a whim, I chose a random Dallas Renegades t-shirt and it was 40% off at checkout; given the recent bankruptcy filing that the new owners of the league had come to terms on a new lease w/Globe Life Park, it seems safe to say the Renegades are staying around yet their merch is still discounted. So I think the tea leaves will be silent on this one.
A new lease means nothing more than they have a place to play should they play. If they don't play and fold the lease is moot.
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

4th&long wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:38 pm
A new lease means nothing more than they have a place to play should they play. If they don't play and fold the lease is moot.
I've read and re-read this several times and I'm still struggling to see how this is relevant to the point I was making, that the renegotiated lease was evidence the new XFL INTENDS to play in Dallas, so the 40% markdown on Renegades merch proves the league ISN'T just marking down teams they have no intention of bringing back.
@gregmparks
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

GregParks wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:41 pm
4th&long wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:38 pm
I've read and re-read this several times and I'm still struggling to see how this is relevant to the point I was making, that the renegotiated lease was evidence the new XFL INTENDS to play in Dallas, so the 40% markdown on Renegades merch proves the league ISN'T just marking down teams they have no intention of bringing back.
My point is - you're putting too much on it. They need to have a place to play IF they play.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

Can you state his point? Because it still seems like you're missing it.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
MarkNelson
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MarkNelson »

It seems the league is trying to stay in the hearts and minds of fans, and doing it without spending too much money. They discounted their merch for Black Friday just to give fans a treat. That is all.

Some people noticed the XFL socials came alive for this, and wondered if this meant the league had hired social media staff. I asked, and a league source told me the socials were being managed by the “skeleton staff” and that they were sticking to the plan of hiring additional staff in 2021.

On top of the news that XFL is negotiating the stadium in Dallas, all of this tells me they intend to move forward slowly. Clearly they aren’t investing much now (seems smart to me) but at some point in time they will have to put up the capital and fund this league for the next season and beyond. Aside from establishing a meaningful broadcasting agreement, allocating the necessary funds will be the biggest hurdle to come.

Just ask the AAF.
UFLBoard: https://uflboard.com/news/author/mnelson/
Author: “XFL 2020: Rise and Fall” https://xfl2020book.com
Coming soon: “XFL 2023: Rise”
Favourite Leagues: XFL and CFL | Fan of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

MarkNelson wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:52 pm It seems the league is trying to stay in the hearts and minds of fans, and doing it without spending too much money. They discounted their merch for Black Friday just to give fans a treat. That is all.

Some people noticed the XFL socials came alive for this, and wondered if this meant the league had hired social media staff. I asked, and a league source told me the socials were being managed by the “skeleton staff” and that they were sticking to the plan of hiring additional staff in 2021.

On top of the news that XFL is negotiating the stadium in Dallas, all of this tells me they intend to move forward slowly. Clearly they aren’t investing much now (seems smart to me) but at some point in time they will have to put up the capital and fund this league for the next season and beyond. Aside from establishing a meaningful broadcasting agreement, allocating the necessary funds will be the biggest hurdle to come.

Just ask the AAF.
^ THIS

Could not agree more Mark, you just say it more - nicely?, professionally?, politely? (pick your poison) than me.