TSL season’s end another black eye for secondary football leagues

XFL Football discussion.
Firecop
Coach

Re: TSL season’s end another black eye for secondary football leagues

Post by Firecop »

Well let's hope they quickly do the same with Lumen Field!
Direct from the Dragon's Lair
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

GregParks wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:31 am
4th&long wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:17 am Unfortunately that's my perception of the what the UFPA is going to be. I have no issue with them helping players and maybe more, but they seem to be just a group to publicly whine.
One man's "advocating for the best interests of players" is another man's "whining," I suppose. Applying public pressure is not a new tactic in terms of trying to improve working conditions for any union, or in this case, union-ish, group.
Tank55 wrote:Even though I think 4th&long's incessant handwringing over XFL 3.0 is totally over the top, I agree that the burden of proof is always on ownership to prove that they have the money and the willingness to spend it to execute their vision. XFL 2.0 was unique in that they had an owner who had done this before and was under no illusions of the financial commitment required. I think skepticism over the new owners is healthy and reasonable.
Absolutely - and I've made no bones about how difficult I think it will be for this group to succeed in the current climate. But I think the reasoning that "they're not willing to lose hundreds of millions of dollars like Vince McMahon" = "they're short on money" is a stretch. There's more than one way to skin a cat, as they say, and just because this group appears to have a different business approach to the XFL than Vince did doesn't make it wrong.
On UFPA - like I was saying public ragging after the fact. Either help without looking for attention or that's what its is:

https://xflnewshub.com/xfl-news/exclusi ... um=twitter

>> Wallace’s biggest gripe was with the UFPA’s level of involvement in dealing with the issues players had with the Spring League.

Those guys were nowhere to be found. And I feel like for those guys (UFPA) to be saying something after the fact. What is the whole purpose of your organization? Because not once did they address Brian Woods during the situation. If you guys are really concerned about players. Then this was the perfect opportunity to make some type of noise about it. If they are a non-profit organization. Then they should be making no money because they aren’t working for us. How are you going to have an organization that says it stands for players when you didn’t stand up for players during the most important time. When you are talking about health, safety, and security for players and all of that, their organization is pointless. What did they do for us, the players when we needed them?

When asked if he has contacted the UFPA. Dwayne Wallace says “that he did not because those guys won’t do anything for anybody”. <<
Joker
Quarterback

Post by Joker »

UFPA has no teeth yet. They need to grow into something. Since they just started out they have no bargaining power.
Fan of the XFL from the beginning. You may remember me from the original XFLboard.
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

I get what Wallace is saying and I agree. They should've fought for a "seat at the table" with Brian Woods and whomever else is part of TSL's brain trust before they kicked off, especially for a league trying to play amid a pandemic. I'm of course assuming they didn't already meet ahead of time. I think it's probably going to be a learning experience for everyone involved, and I hope they can become stronger and more influential because of this.
@gregmparks
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

So if a player who's in UFPA signs with the NFL or CFL, both of whom have their own unions, what happens to their membership in UFPA? Did they ever make that clear for anyone?
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

GDAWG wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:14 am So if a player who's in UFPA signs with the NFL or CFL, both of whom have their own unions, what happens to their membership in UFPA? Did they ever make that clear for anyone?
Since the UFPA isn't a "union" per se, I'm not sure there's any signing up/dues being paid. My understanding at this point is it's simply a group looking to work with secondary football leagues to ensure all players within those leagues have certain protections and rights.
@gregmparks
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

GDAWG wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:14 am So if a player who's in UFPA signs with the NFL or CFL, both of whom have their own unions, what happens to their membership in UFPA? Did they ever make that clear for anyone?
UFPA isn't a union and won't add much value if in a player union already. IF it truly becomes a self-help group, then it may add value beyond that.

I do think the players would benefit from a mentoring selfhelp type group. Been saying that for years.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

Developmental football property @TheSpringLeague CEO Brian Woods said that the league has scheduled its delayed ’20 championship game for 10:00pm ET on Dec. 15 at Camping World Stadium in Orlando. The game is set to air on FS1
https://twitter.com/sbjsbd/status/1334852451200069634
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

Tank55 wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:11 pm
Developmental football property @TheSpringLeague CEO Brian Woods said that the league has scheduled its delayed ’20 championship game for 10:00pm ET on Dec. 15 at Camping World Stadium in Orlando. The game is set to air on FS1
https://twitter.com/sbjsbd/status/1334852451200069634

10:00 ET?

Turns out they'd have had the 12/2 slot after all (Ravens/Steelers in the afternoon, MLS moved to last night), but good luck getting anybody to come back for this.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

Tank55 wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:11 pm
https://twitter.com/sbjsbd/status/13348 ... nter069634
Hmm. If you put that out they should follow through. Though the TSL has not officially put that out... just linked to the story.

Let's see what (if) happens.