TSL season’s end another black eye for secondary football leagues

XFL Football discussion.
MarkNelson
UFLBoard Correspondent

TSL season’s end another black eye for secondary football leagues

Post by MarkNelson »

The Spring League’s issues will only make it harder for the XFL to take hold amongst those inside the business of football.

https://xflboard.com/news/tsl-seasons-e ... l-leagues/

By Greg Parks.
XFLBoard https://xflboard.com/news/author/mnelson/
XFLXtra https://xflboard.com/xfl-xtra/
Author: “XFL 2020: Rise and Fall” https://xfl2020book.com
Coming soon: “XFL 2023: Rise”
Favourite Leagues: XFL and CFL | Fan of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers
4th&long
MVP

Re: TSL season’s end another black eye for secondary football leagues

Post by 4th&long »

MarkNelson wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:56 pm The Spring League’s issues will only make it harder for the XFL to take hold amongst those inside the business of football.

https://xflboard.com/news/tsl-seasons-e ... l-leagues/

By Greg Parks.
While understanding why you brought it up, I don't agree with that conclusion at all. TSL is a diff animal and Corona had the big impact. Based on what Woods said in his interview, and reading between statements, Fox is interested. Clearly virus screwed this up, but NBA/MLB/CFB/NFL are all playing and TSL mostly played.
And that was the best interview I've heard from Woods and I like the XFL-MarkCast traditional question asking style, direct but non-adversarial style. He made sense and came across as legit.

XFL 3.0 issue is funding, like AAF. TSL was time, covid and rushing.

I hope they come back, they fit a diff niche than XFL/AAF.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

Why are you bolding and underlining China?
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
FootballYoda
Quarterback

Post by FootballYoda »

Tank55 wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:00 am Why are you bolding and underlining China?
He has to keep on calling it that. It has become a troll move now. I hope it’s moderated out.
Joker
Quarterback

Post by Joker »

Thanks for the article Greg. It’s a nice summary of where the Spring League has gone.

It seems the Spring League will be back, and even a championship game is planned. Not sure how that will work when it sounds like all the players went home.

Woods sounds like he has a thick skin and can take the criticism. Players already seem to be wary of his league, but it also seems there are more players that will risk the Spring League just for a chance at glory.
Fan of the XFL from the beginning. You may remember me from the original XFLboard.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

4th&long wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:12 amwhy not.
Because we're talking about the Spring League, so it looks like you're implying that the country of origin is somehow relevant to their decisions or execution.
4th&long wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:12 am On Topic: Did you listen to the XFL MarkCast? Check out the B Woods part.
Yeah, I'm surprised you found that convincing. Just as one example, when he's talking about the COVID protocols, he says something like "everyone needed to take a COVID test prior to arriving, preferably within 72 hours." (Emphasis mine.) What does "preferably" mean? If someone shows up with a test a 96 hours old, were they let in? Two weeks old? What if they didn't have a test at all? How many players failed to meet the 72 hour rule?
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

Tank55 wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:46 pm
4th&long wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:12 amwhy not.
Because we're talking about the Spring League, so it looks like you're implying that the country of origin is somehow relevant to their decisions or execution.
4th&long wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:12 am On Topic: Did you listen to the XFL MarkCast? Check out the B Woods part.
Yeah, I'm surprised you found that convincing. Just as one example, when he's talking about the COVID protocols, he says something like "everyone needed to take a COVID test prior to arriving, preferably within 72 hours." (Emphasis mine.) What does "preferably" mean? If someone shows up with a test a 96 hours old, were they let in? Two weeks old? What if they didn't have a test at all? How many players failed to meet the 72 hour rule?
I did find it believable... this isnt the NFL or CFB. If it wasnt 72 hours perhaps in a week. Did it mean April? I doubt it. They were all tested a week after arrival. Do supermarket workers get tested ? Ever?
I guess my point is nothing is perfect and I would expect less from a Dev league vs major. The fact that had pretty robust testing at all is a positive.
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

I would say normally I'd be fine taking someone like Woods at his word, but I'm not sure he's earned that given his previous football ventures and some other questionable moves he's made in the past that have been documented on this board.

Bottom line, there were issues beyond COVID here, as evidenced in the Mitchell article I cited as well as the public complaint from at least one player - the Tweets by Farrow and the UFPA certainly make it sound like more have come forward. As has been said, there will never be a shortage of players willing to chase their dream even if it's into the buzzsaw of a scam (not saying that's what TSL is, but others have). The question is then getting players of quality.

And of course, I feel like I need to throw this in there again: We have no actual evidence beyond conjecture that the XFL3.0 is having/has had/ever will have a funding problem.
@gregmparks
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

GregParks wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:52 pm I would say normally I'd be fine taking someone like Woods at his word, but I'm not sure he's earned that given his previous football ventures and some other questionable moves he's made in the past that have been documented on this board.

Bottom line, there were issues beyond COVID here, as evidenced in the Mitchell article I cited as well as the public complaint from at least one player - the Tweets by Farrow and the UFPA certainly make it sound like more have come forward. As has been said, there will never be a shortage of players willing to chase their dream even if it's into the buzzsaw of a scam (not saying that's what TSL is, but others have). The question is then getting players of quality.

And of course, I feel like I need to throw this in there again: We have no actual evidence beyond conjecture that the XFL3.0 is having/has had/ever will have a funding problem.
Conjecture is all we need. But there is evidence - DG has said the league needs a paying contract, that its not operating on self funding. She didn't say quite that way I'm paraphrasing, but that's all the evidence I need.
laxtreme56
Coach

Post by laxtreme56 »

4th&long wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:19 pm
GregParks wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:52 pm I would say normally I'd be fine taking someone like Woods at his word, but I'm not sure he's earned that given his previous football ventures and some other questionable moves he's made in the past that have been documented on this board.

Conjecture is all we need. But there is evidence - DG has said the league needs a paying contract, that its not operating on self funding. She didn't say quite that way I'm paraphrasing, but that's all the evidence I need.
I don't blame her either. Nobody likes losing tens of millions of dollars. Paid attendance and merchandise sales aren't enough to stay afloat long time. Ask the 150+ defunct arena/indoor football teams how much TV revenue they ever made. Even a low paying deal along the lines of MLS or the WNBA would suffice.