CFL 2021(?) All aboot our friends up north

XFL Football discussion.
4th&long
MVP

Re: CFL 2021(?) All aboot our friends up north

Post by 4th&long »

Tank55 wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:38 pm
4th&long wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:26 pmHow about the Edmonton Explorers? Or just Edmonton E?
Explorers is solid. Just saw someone suggest Edmonton Eddies on Twitter. Apparently there's a military connection of some sort, but I think it's also pretty good on its own, sort of like Philadelphia Phillies. I think that's my new favorite.
I think either works ... eddies is like a phillies thing and Explorers goes with a open space expansive Alberta.

Another name could be Energy?
Firecop
Coach

Post by Firecop »

I'm going with the Edmonton Eagles. I realize it's a little mundane and there are the Philadelphia Eagles; however there are the BC lions and besides, there are a ton of Bald Eagles in and around Edmonton in the River Valley.Mascot could be Eddie the Eagle??? Just say'n...
Direct from the Dragon's Lair
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

The Edmonton Football Team asked for name submissions from fans as the franchise works through the process of selecting a new moniker.

Over 13,000 submissions were received. The EE Football Team would not share the exact amount of votes cast for each option, so in no particular order the top 10 list:

Elk
Empire
Eagles
Energy
Elite
Edge
Express
Extreme
Explorers
Evolution
https://3downnation.com/2020/12/02/10-m ... from-fans/

Hard to argue with Eagles. I've also always loved the Express name. I think either of those or Elk would be solid.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
Firecop
Coach

Post by Firecop »

It is difficult to come up with anything really original anymore, most names are recycled from previous leagues trams or versions of same. Hopefully they will choose something Edmonton related.I think Extreme or Xtreme has been overused but I do like Express.I suppose that would call for some train motiff.
Direct from the Dragon's Lair
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

Yeah, and we've had this discussion with XFL names, but coming up with something original also can really come across as bush league. I'd put Empire, Energy, Elite, Edge, Extreme, and Evolution in that category, and I'm tempted to do it with Explorers as well. Eagles is a classic name; they could (and probably will) do much worse.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

Free Agency opens on 2/9
The 2021 CFL free agency period officially opens at 12:00 p.m. ET on Tuesday, February 9, 2021. Below lists the active players who will become CFL free agents should they not re-sign with their current respective team. The status column indicates whether a player has re-signed with his team or is still bound for the open market.

On Sunday, January 31, 2021, the official Free Agency communication window opens where teams can begin negotiating with players under contract with other teams.
https://www.cfl.ca/fa21/
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

Tank55 wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:51 am
The Edmonton Football Team asked for name submissions from fans as the franchise works through the process of selecting a new moniker.

Over 13,000 submissions were received. The EE Football Team would not share the exact amount of votes cast for each option, so in no particular order the top 10 list:

Elk
Empire
Eagles
Energy
Elite
Edge
Express
Extreme
Explorers
Evolution
https://3downnation.com/2020/12/02/10-m ... from-fans/

Hard to argue with Eagles. I've also always loved the Express name. I think either of those or Elk would be solid.
I think the team should ask 2 questions:

1) Keep the EE and have a nick name starting with "E" OR go totally new?

2) Then a list of names.

With the current list I think its Elk or Explorers
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

They've already publicly committed to the double E logo and the color scheme. I think it's more likely than not that the name comes from that list.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

Insider Talk is a weekly collection of anonymous quotes from people in and around the CFL. It’s a combination of news, insight, gossip, and fun.
I have two (American) clients who are pending CFL free agents. Both have decent (non-football) jobs right now and I’m encouraging both to keep them instead of going back to Canada. With what (CFL) teams are paying right now, we’ll wait for the XFL (in the spring of 2022).
https://3downnation.com/2020/12/30/insi ... s-the-xfl/
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

Tank55 wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:28 am
Insider Talk is a weekly collection of anonymous quotes from people in and around the CFL. It’s a combination of news, insight, gossip, and fun.
I have two (American) clients who are pending CFL free agents. Both have decent (non-football) jobs right now and I’m encouraging both to keep them instead of going back to Canada. With what (CFL) teams are paying right now, we’ll wait for the XFL (in the spring of 2022).
https://3downnation.com/2020/12/30/insi ... s-the-xfl/
If you want a FB career, that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard
1) XFL may not happen
2) if XFL happens.... no one knows the pay structure
3) not playing FB for over a year isn't going to attract much attention