CFL 2021(?) All aboot our friends up north

XFL Football discussion.
Tank55
MVP

Re: CFL 2021(?) All aboot our friends up north

Post by Tank55 »

I know US expansion talk is the lowest form of CFL conversation, but I can't help myself. Imagine that they held the Grey Cup on Labour Day weekend and added teams in Seattle, Chicago, and New York. Is that a league whose broadcast rights you could sell in the US for enough to justify cutting the pie 12 ways?

Of course, I don't know where you're finding stadiums that can fit 150-yard fields.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

Tank55 wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:06 pm I know US expansion talk is the lowest form of CFL conversation, but I can't help myself. Imagine that they held the Grey Cup on Labour Day weekend and added teams in Seattle, Chicago, and New York. Is that a league whose broadcast rights you could sell in the US for enough to justify cutting the pie 12 ways?

Of course, I don't know where you're finding stadiums that can fit 150-yard fields.
I think the wound of US expansion is too fresh even though it's been over 25 years.

Nothing worse than Memphis, which the Liberty Bowl looked somewhere between Wrigley Field hosting college football and the debacle that was the New York Streets in the NAL (add Chicago Stadium in the early 30s playing an 80 yard field)

I still think it could be done right with certain border states/cities that already have a "shared presence".
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

Canada needs to grow a pair.
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

4th&long wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:39 pm
Canada needs to grow a pair.
"Exec" realizes exactly what we've been saying for the last nine months at least? No CFL in 2021, no CFL ever.

What would the NFL look like if they just up and shut down for two years (which didn't even happen during WWII)? And that's a league with billion-dollar TV deals, the CFL quite obviously isn't.

It's the reason the IFL and NAL are all systems go (even as most of their buildings, Spokane Arena included, are vaccination sites): they have to, or else they're never coming back.

No, this isn't just a year to "get right". Obviously this "executive" sounds he wasn't around the last year.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

I don't think skipping two seasons is a good option, but asking owners to burn through cash playing a 2021 season in empty stadiums might also be a death blow. Not seeing a lot of good options; definitely hoping they find a way to take the field.

And who knows, maybe if the league faces a true reckoning, we get some systemic changes that would put them in a better position to grow revenue. Like a season that doesn't culminate directly opposed to the NFL and a field size that fits in most North American stadiums.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
Firecop
Coach

Post by Firecop »

Bullseye Tank!
Direct from the Dragon's Lair
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

Tank55 wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:08 pm I don't think skipping two seasons is a good option, but asking owners to burn through cash playing a 2021 season in empty stadiums might also be a death blow. Not seeing a lot of good options; definitely hoping they find a way to take the field.

And who knows, maybe if the league faces a true reckoning, we get some systemic changes that would put them in a better position to grow revenue. Like a season that doesn't culminate directly opposed to the NFL and a field size that fits in most North American stadiums.
If the CFL passes on 2021... anything could happen including major rule changes like that or NFL expansion or even CFL - NFL partnership as a minor league.

I can't believe Canada is going to fold outdoor sports 2 years in a row. I feel bad for Can'tadians
KJE
Running Back

Post by KJE »

I will be heartbroken if there is no season. :cry:

I think worst case scenario, the majority of the population will be vaccinated by labour day so we should at least get a smaller season.
laxtreme56
Coach

Post by laxtreme56 »

The CFL fan base is primarily 50+ year old men, which puts them in a higher risk category. Canada is also way behind the rest of the world in vaccinations, currently sitting around #60 worldwide. If Japan is looking to cancel the summer olympics again in a country that dealt with the virus remarkably well, it does not bode well for the CFL playing this year