GP: The Spring League filling gap left behind by the XFL

XFL Football discussion.
4th&long
MVP

GP: The Spring League filling gap left behind by the XFL

Post by 4th&long »

https://xflboard.com/news/the-spring-le ... y-the-xfl/

Good Article GP.

I agree with some of your comparisons to the XFL (obviously a much more high profile league so far). I also see some of your points on how the XFL could benefit, but ultimately TSL is eyeing NFL (and some CFL). TSL clearly wants to be the NFL's dev league and they may end up being an in-season dev like (ala the FXFL wanted to be).

Agreed the game is more simplistic or straight forward, leaving it up to execution, skill and experience. But the play has been better than I expected and quite watchable.

Agreed on the FS1 broadcast - they are low cost but more than adequate

With 2 weeks under their belt TSL has out performed on the field with relatively low expectations. Play should improve in week 3.

Would TSL be better named TDL and move to the fall before Basketball and after Baseball playoffs. Play midweek games Tues Wed and fill an opening for Fox's FS1? The NFL may want something like that. Or will they play in the spring, or even both.

TSL made big strides with FS1 and 6 branded teams this fall. Let's see how he season unfolds and what comes next.
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Re: GP: The Spring League filling gap left behind by the XFL

Post by GregParks »

4th&long wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:26 pm https://xflboard.com/news/the-spring-le ... y-the-xfl/

Good Article GP.

I agree with some of your comparisons to the XFL (obviously a much more high profile league so far). I also see some of your points on how the XFL could benefit, but ultimately TSL is eyeing NFL (and some CFL). TSL clearly wants to be the NFL's dev league and they may end up being an in-season dev like (ala the FXFL wanted to be).
I'm not sure the NFL is really interested in a developmental league, to be honest. They certainly have the cash to create one themselves if they'd like. This was Tom Dundon's big plan when he bought into the AAF, but the NFL didn't seem all that interested (albeit perhaps knowing the AAF was doomed at that point). I think they just see college football as their developmental league.
4th&long wrote:Agreed the game is more simplistic or straight forward, leaving it up to execution, skill and experience. But the play has been better than I expected and quite watchable.
Yeah, what people will accept for quality of play will be different depending on the person, sort of a moving target. I thought the second game I watched was better than the first, and given the limited practice time beforehand, I kind of understood going in that quality of play would likely improve over the weeks. I'm not sure it was at a level to keep my interest up, though.
@gregmparks
Firecop
Coach

Post by Firecop »

I have never understood why anyone would think that the NFL ever needed a "developmental league" other than college football; it is beyond me. I looked at the XFl as an entertaining opportunity for post college players to get more film, a higher level of play experience, and one last opportunity to make it to (or back to) the "show". I always considered it a "showcase league", an alternative last gasp if you will filled with NFL "wannabes" and "has-beens" and I don't mean that derogatorily.

That said, I really enjoyed the XFL and would like to see it continue as an alternative league but a developmental league - never going to happen unless, as Greg says, the NFL wants it and controls it.
Direct from the Dragon's Lair
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

GregParks wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:30 pm
4th&long wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:26 pm https://xflboard.com/news/the-spring-le ... y-the-xfl/

Good Article GP.

I'm not sure the NFL is really interested in a developmental league, to be honest. They certainly have the cash to create one themselves if they'd like. This was Tom Dundon's big plan when he bought into the AAF, but the NFL didn't seem all that interested (albeit perhaps knowing the AAF was doomed at that point). I think they just see college football as their developmental league.
4th&long wrote:Agreed the game is more simplistic or straight forward, leaving it up to execution, skill and experience. But the play has been better than I expected and quite watchable.
Yeah, what people will accept for quality of play will be different depending on the person, sort of a moving target. I thought the second game I watched was better than the first, and given the limited practice time beforehand, I kind of understood going in that quality of play would likely improve over the weeks. I'm not sure it was at a level to keep my interest up, though.
GP agreed that NFL will not fund an AAF/XFL level league - but TSL level, different story. These would be sub PS players looking to work their way up. Also if they do it likely would be an in-season dev league but who knows. NFLN might even carry midweek games to fill programming.

I think the competitive ie is also a major driver. I won't watch a TSL game 48-10 any more than Saint Bucs 38-3, full game. I do wish the chippieness would be controlled and replay's reduced.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

I agree that TSL isn't filling a meaningful need for the NFL. If the NFL wants to pay money to keep sub-practice squad level players in game shape, they can just expand their practice squads. I also don't think the broadcast content is any more valuable than reruns of "A Football Life" or whatever NFLN is currently running on Wednesday nights, but I guess we'll see if the FS1 broadcasts are able to draw any ratings of note.

It IS filling a need for the CFL and the XFL by maintaining the bottom half of the player pool at that level of football. For TSL's sake, hopefully those are both able to return to play soon.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

Tank55 wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:52 pm I agree that TSL isn't filling a meaningful need for the NFL. If the NFL wants to pay money to keep sub-practice squad level players in game shape, they can just expand their practice squads. I also don't think the broadcast content is any more valuable than reruns of "A Football Life" or whatever NFLN is currently running on Wednesday nights, but I guess we'll see if the FS1 broadcasts are able to draw any ratings of note.

It IS filling a need for the CFL and the XFL by maintaining the bottom half of the player pool at that level of football. For TSL's sake, hopefully those are both able to return to play soon.
The NFL pays PS players a fair amount and that # will reduce when COVID is essentially over sometime in the spring so expect it to drop for 2021.

Also more PS players means less meaningful reps, so a low cost, keep in shape league can make sense to the NFL and especially the XFL/CFL.
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

4th&long wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:10 pm
Tank55 wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:52 pm I agree that TSL isn't filling a meaningful need for the NFL. If the NFL wants to pay money to keep sub-practice squad level players in game shape, they can just expand their practice squads. I also don't think the broadcast content is any more valuable than reruns of "A Football Life" or whatever NFLN is currently running on Wednesday nights, but I guess we'll see if the FS1 broadcasts are able to draw any ratings of note.

The NFL pays PS players a fair amount and that # will reduce when COVID is essentially over sometime in the spring so expect it to drop for 2021.

Also more PS players means less meaningful reps, so a low cost, keep in shape league can make sense to the NFL and especially the XFL/CFL.
But more "meaningful reps" also means more "risk of injury," which is why it hasn't happened yet.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:32 pm
4th&long wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:10 pm

But more "meaningful reps" also means more "risk of injury," which is why it hasn't happened yet.
I don't buy into that. There are only so many reps to go around and they use those for the active players. PS gets much less. A low cost Dev league with players ready to step up has its advantages.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

By that line of thinking, wouldn't it follow that the last guy on an NFL practice squad is in a worse position to immediately contribute to an NFL team than the Spring League players?
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion