FCF - Fan Controlled Football League

XFL Football discussion.
4th&long
MVP

Re: FCF - Fan Controlled Football League

Post by 4th&long »

laxtreme56 wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:08 pm I generally agree with 4th's thoughts on the FCF. The gameplay is subpar indoor football, I prefer the arena game with the kicking game, nets, forward motion,and linebacker in the box rule. Way too long for playcalls and seeing quarterbacks scramble for 20 yards virtually untouched reminds me of my old flag football league. This was more show and less football league, akin to the Harlem Globetrotters. It was entertaining at times, but I don't see much longevity here.
Good points and likely nailed it.
4th&long
MVP

TSN:FCF league summary

Post by 4th&long »

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/new ... 0pp4ayusyd

>> What is Fan Controlled Football? FCFL teams, schedule, players & more to know about new pro league<<
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

4th&long wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:00 pm
Firecop wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:49 pm DEFINITELY agree with #3 above! Sounded like a buncha frat boys!
That's the word i was looking for... Thank you!
Oh god one of things I remember about Salt Lake four years ago was every time they were on Verlon Reed they'd always go on about Ohio State this, former Buckeye that like they're just trying to overkill the damn thing (something which XFL1.0 was guilty of a lot, but tame compared to that). Reed barely played at OSU, yet they made it sound like he was Braxton Miller.

"HE PLAYED AT A POWER CONFERENCE SCHOOL, THIS IS LEGIT!!!!!!!!!!"
fonzbear2000
Rookie

Post by fonzbear2000 »

I'm wondering about something that I have yet to find an answer to. Do fans take turns 1 at a time calling plays or are all the fans calling plays on their phones? If that's the case, what if a lot of fans of one team are all watching and calling plays? Not everyone will call the same play, right? So, how is it determined what play actually gets executed on the field?
Firecop
Coach

Post by Firecop »

Basically you choose among 4 plays that are offered up and the majority rules.
Direct from the Dragon's Lair
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:07 pm I will also note something incredibly stupid on their part: by relying on Twitch, they basically ensured that they are only available on computers and smartphones. Twitch has no Roku app. I tried to find one this morning.

Oops.
I stand corrected:

Apparently there's a channel called Venn that carries the FCF on Roku. I'm not sure if this has been there all season or if Venn just picked up the rights this week.
4th&long
MVP

Josh Gordon to Fan Controlled Football League

Post by 4th&long »

https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/stat ... 1984489472

>> Bleacher Report @BleacherReport
Josh Gordon will make a return to football with the Zappers in the Fan Controlled Football league, per @AdamSchefter @brgridiron

3:29 PM · Feb 27, 2021 <<
Firecop
Coach

Post by Firecop »

If you look at the FCF as something other than traditional football (or anything even close), it is kind of nonsensical fun. The Power ups they use make it more about luck than much of anything else and Defense definitely helps to win each game. It's a lot like comparing PGA golf to playing mini-gold with your drunken buddies - much fun but not very "sporty". It's not everyones "cup of tea" but there are thousands who appear to enjoy it, so what the heck!
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

Firecop wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:37 am If you look at the FCF as something other than traditional football (or anything even close), it is kind of nonsensical fun. The Power ups they use make it more about luck than much of anything else and Defense definitely helps to win each game. It's a lot like comparing PGA golf to playing mini-gold with your drunken buddies - much fun but not very "sporty". It's not everyones "cup of tea" but there are thousands who appear to enjoy it, so what the heck!
I liken it to a cross between the original XFL's "sports entertainment" concept taken to a greater extreme with the indoor field and budget. Truth be told, I do like some of the power-ups, given the no-kicking nature of the game. I mean, we already manipulate the game clock with time-outs, so it's not THAT much of a stretch to expand that to other ideas like the Fifth Down. The only thing that FEELS excessively gimmicky about any individual game is the one-on-one extra point.

Given that the other indoor leagues are still not committing to a 2021 season (most are still stalled until at least May, in what's looking like a redux of last year's stall till you cancel), it is what it is, and it's filling an important niche. On the whole, it's not the XFL, but it's redefining "football" in its own way, and as an XFL fan, I have to appreciate that.
Firecop
Coach

Post by Firecop »

I have to ask... what do you think of the FCF's version of an onside kick? For the uninitiated, since there is no kicking in the FCF, you get the ball 4th down and 10 to go from your own 10 yard line. The Beasts used it to their own advantage and a subsequent win last night to remain undefeated.