Spring 2021 FCS: Scouting for the next Donald Parham

XFL Football discussion.
MGB01
MVP

Re: Spring 2021 FCS: Scouting for the next Donald Parham

Post by MGB01 »

A few surprises from the first round, namely how FAMU got housed by SELA. I'd imagine Mercer probably felt the way most people felt about Gonzaga getting passed up in '98 for teams like Clemson and Ole Miss who got upset in the first round.

Who knew Eastern could win the second-lowest scoring game of the day, as well as their lowest output of the season? They're gonna need that D in Missoula Friday night in the only rematch of the week of four potential return clashes (NDSU didn't play SIU).

I would imagine not the happiest post-Thanksgiving in the Petrino house, then again only reason it wouldn't be for Bobby is cause of all the people he should have to pay for all the chances he's received.

Second round matchups:

Holy Cross at Villanova (Fri)
EWU at Montana (Fri)
Kennesaw State at ETSU (Sat)
SELA at James Madison (Sat)
UIW at Sam Houston State (Sat)
Southern Illinois at North Dakota State (Sat)
UT Martin at Montana State (Sat)
South Dakota State at Sacramento State (Sat)
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

Holy Cross/Nova and EWU/Montana kick off round two tonight, Eastern's first road game in the second round since App State in 2007. Montana's had some inexplicable playoff duds at WGS before but I can't see it, not with them coming off flattening MSU in the BOTW (which literally chased off their QB).

East Tennessee State hosts their first playoff game (second overall) since returning to the gridiron in 2015, and it comes against Kennesaw State, their first opponent (lost 56-16). Of note, former Guardian Dalton Ponchillia was on that ETSU team.

South Dakota State is an overwhelming road pick at Sac State but I don't see it. They're more experienced than the team that lost to Austin Peay at home two years ago. It's probably based on UNI beating them in September more than anything else. of course should we hold the Rushmore Rally against the Jackrabbits and then USD getting squashed by SIU?

JMU, Sam Houston, and NDSU should cruise. Montana State (even with possibly their third string QB from when they began the year at Wyoming) should win as well. So give me KSU on the road and I'll be happy if EWU joins them in the quarters.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

Wish I could watch tonight, but we have a holiday party. Nice to see Montana back in the playoffs again.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

Nova and Montana onto the quarters
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

Tank55 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:42 pm Wish I could watch tonight, but we have a holiday party. Nice to see Montana back in the playoffs again.
I get the feeling you're really gonna like seeing them back now :D
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

The ETSU-Kennesaw finish was wild. Kennesaw (who I was rooting for, fwiw), faced 4th & 3 up 11 with just over five minutes to play. The Owls lead the country in fourth down conversion percentage, and the announcers expected them to go for it. Instead, they kicked the field goal to go up 14. ETSU marches down and scores a touchdown, converts an onside kick, and marches down for another touchdown with about 35 seconds left on the clock. Rather than kick the XP for the tie, they go for and convert the 2 point conversion for the win.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

Through to the quarters with only one road team winning, South Dakota State with a 'really?' fourth-and-one trick play to preserve a five-point win at Sac State (not that it was anything wrong but you're probably going to need these down the line and a simple QB sneak could have done the job)

Poor ETSU, your first playoff win since returning to football, ENJOY THE FARGODOME!!!!!!!!!! But at least they get ESPN out of the deal

And we'll start with the 'Tank Bowl' Friday night

Montana at JMU (Fri, ESPN2)
ETSU at NDSU (Sat, ESPN)
SDSU at Villanova (Sat)
Montana State at Sam Houston State (Sat)

And also Prime Time heads back to Atlanta as Jackson State wins the SWAC over PVAMU and will play South Carolina State in the Celebration Bowl Dec 18. Gee, conference title in his first unabridged season, guess Deion knew something after all
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

Montana/JMU kicks off the one weekend that is FCS-dominated (just Army/Navy and Heisman FBS-wise). Also hard not to look at the two showdowns on deck for the Final Four if three of the four home favs and SDSU take care of biz, with JMU/NDSU on on side and the spring title rematch on the other with SH/SDSU. Plus in that case we'd have the two FBS-bounds against the Dakotas.

Seven of the eight teams playing this weekend have played in the national title game with six winning.
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

JMU into the semis for the third straight year (and another date with NDSU most likely), Montana State the last Big Sky team left.
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

Three down one to go, and a double delight for South Dakota State as they get the upset at Nova, at around the same time they beat Wazzu on a walk-off three at the Spo-rena

So if Sam Houston takes cares of business as expected, the semis will be the last two title tilts.