Spring 2021 FCS: Scouting for the next Donald Parham

XFL Football discussion.
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Re: Spring 2021 FCS: Scouting for the next Donald Parham

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

So that Saturday 2-5 slot that the XFL used all last season... did that just disappear or something?
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

Looks like college basketball is penciled in, at least in February.

https://espnpressroom.com/us/program-schedules/
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:44 pm So that Saturday 2-5 slot that the XFL used all last season... did that just disappear or something?
No, it's, as I pondered last year, being used for college basketball. Unlike then, when ABC did a few non conf games (opposite late season NFL) and then Oklahoma St/Oklahoma a week ahead of the XFL, it's all conference games.

Their first game (Houston/UCF) aired in the cancelled Gasparilla Bowl slot back on 12/26. Plus the probability of them ramping up their coverage (possibly ESPN kicks some SEC/Big XII challenge games over) ahead of the new SEC deal in future years pretty much eliminates that option for the XFL unless it comes back after the NCAA Tournament
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

The bad news keeps coming: Montana, Montana St, Portland St are out for the spring season.

https://twitter.com/CraigHaley/status/1 ... 1660569601

https://twitter.com/CraigHaley/status/1 ... 8227635201
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

SUU might not get a Big Sky finale at this rate. Fact I'd rather have somebody else skip out (I'll go with UC Davis, right in Yolo County, since Sac State's already out) and have an even eight so you don't screw up the schedule with an odd team out.

Go figure, Eastern (just got back on the court too for the first time in almost a month) was set to play all three of them. New schedule should be out next week, but byes might make it a little more difficult.
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

Revised Big Sky schedule:

https://fbschedules.com/big-sky-confere ... -schedule/

Eight teams, as UNC went late with Montana, MSU, and Portland State in doing their own deal. Sac State announced they were out at the beginning. Also the twist of each team playing a home and away with their territorial rival in weeks 1 and 7, the pairings: EWU/Idaho, Idaho State/Weber State, Davis/Poly, SUU/NAU

Still TBD about Southern Utah and whether they'll play in the Big Sky one more year (fall) before they go to the WAC, play as an FCS independent, or do what UND did--technically play as an Indy but still count as a conference game.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

Jeff Fisher might be a candidate for the Montana State position:

http://www.fcs.football/cfb/story.asp?i ... 7585679704

Montana State opted out of the conference schedule (which I've heard played a role in why previous head coach Jeff Choate left) but might play one or two non-conference games this spring.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

FCS should have just played a 9 week 8 game schedule (or something like it) and been done with it like FBS last year. They panicked.
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

4th&long wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:57 pm FCS should have just played a 9 week 8 game schedule (or something like it) and been done with it like FBS last year. They panicked.
Eh, it was kinda a big deal up here to have EWU and Idaho open "spring ball" the other day (especially when they're playing a basketball home-and-home next weekend, and then they open against each other on the 27th). And just having football, even if it is the break glass scenario, in three weeks.

But overall, yeah, it's a bit of a cluster to say the least. North Dakota State played what amounted to a showcase game against Central Arkansas in October and now will play their spring season without their QB (of course they've lost like eight games since 2011, I think they can figure it out), UCA actually did play a semi-entire season in the fall--think they might have been the only one too, I don't think any conference is fully intact. Plus I'm not sure if they'll have any TV or at least what it will look like given the FCS playoffs start the week before the NFL Draft and go through to what as of now is the end of the NBA season. Last year on ABC (CG) was their first year back on network television since it was on CBS back in the 90s, probably not at this rate.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

It's definitely messy, but I'm pumped to have another few months of football. Third straight year with meaningful full field football in the spring. Here's hoping we can finish the season this time.