XFLXtra https://xflboard.com/xfl-xtra/
Author: “XFL 2020: Rise and Fall” https://xfl2020book.com
Coming soon: “XFL 2023: Rise”
Favourite Leagues: XFL and CFL | Fan of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers
4th&long
MVP

Re: Dwayne Johnson & Dany Garcia to appear on VICE TV tonight

Post by 4th&long »

GregParks wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:22 pm From the relevant parts of the show tonight...

-Johnson talked about how Garcia suggested they purchase the XFL, the story we've all heard by now
-Garcia talked about what sports has meant to their lives, both of them being life-long athletes
-Johnson acknowledged the "uphill battle" and how the "odds are stacked against us," but he talked about how the ownership team and football operations looked at the financials and economics and really dug in on that
-He also mentioned his football background and how he had to close that chapter, but he can open it for others - he said this opportunity struck him in his soul because of that experience
-Garcia mentioned the XFL being a league of culture, representative of who they are. If a player wants to kneel or stand, they can, but they get to be diversified in expression
-Johnson said as Americans we get to enjoy freedoms, and the owners can create a pathway to take care of players
-Garcia talked about how exciting it is to be the first woman owner of a pro sports league, and while that was never her intention, she set out to follow up on something she's very passionate about

That was about it for the XFL part.
GP Thanks for the detailed update.

The more they talk the more they sound like they aren't doing anything and don't know what they are doing . Its all non-FB and emotional fluff. Rock is starting already to float "odds are stacked" crap even before they play a down. Not a good sign IMO. To hear Garcia say first woman owner of sports league that is in suspended operations is old already. No one cares.

In 2 months of meetings they have no forward looking comments of action or game plan to discuss. That's disheartening.

Sell the league to VM - best chance we got.
Ron
Kicker

Post by Ron »

4th&long wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:24 am
GregParks wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:22 pm From the relevant parts of the show tonight...

-Johnson talked about how Garcia suggested they purchase the XFL, the story we've all heard by now
-Garcia talked about what sports has meant to their lives, both of them being life-long athletes
-Johnson acknowledged the "uphill battle" and how the "odds are stacked against us," but he talked about how the ownership team and football operations looked at the financials and economics and really dug in on that
-He also mentioned his football background and how he had to close that chapter, but he can open it for others - he said this opportunity struck him in his soul because of that experience
-Garcia mentioned the XFL being a league of culture, representative of who they are. If a player wants to kneel or stand, they can, but they get to be diversified in expression
-Johnson said as Americans we get to enjoy freedoms, and the owners can create a pathway to take care of players
-Garcia talked about how exciting it is to be the first woman owner of a pro sports league, and while that was never her intention, she set out to follow up on something she's very passionate about

That was about it for the XFL part.
GP Thanks for the detailed update.

The more they talk the more they sound like they aren't doing anything and don't know what they are doing . Its all non-FB and emotional fluff. Rock is starting already to float "odds are stacked" crap even before they play a down. Not a good sign IMO. To hear Garcia say first woman owner of sports league that is in suspended operations is old already. No one cares.

In 2 months of meetings they have no forward looking comments of action or game plan to discuss. That's disheartening.

Sell the league to VM - best chance we got.
It looks like gutless shit to me. We were once promised that politics would be kept out of the XFL. They would have been better off sticking to that model.
FootballYoda
Quarterback

Post by FootballYoda »

While I don’t share your disdain, I still wonder why they are making this point now. They need to get teams with players before they should be concerned about players protesting.
Firecop
Coach

Post by Firecop »

In a league likely filled with Has-Beens and Wannabes, why on Earth would you announce that kneeling, or any other form of social protest for that matter, is OK before you have even launched (or re-launched depending upon how you see it)? Personally, I liked the 2.0 approach where it was ALL about football and the fans, NOT whatever the current
injustice is. Look at the recent report on decreased sports viewership and get a clue!
Direct from the Dragon's Lair
MarkNelson
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MarkNelson »

I agree on the point that the new owners should rebuild the teams and maybe publish a schedule before they talk about these type of policies.

Someone also pointed out they should talk to their players, too. However, I see that the players wants and needs are built into their plan.

For those who are disappointed by the owners’ statements, I simply point out how it is not unexpected.

(I’d love to be talking about XFL football right now.)
XFLBoard https://xflboard.com/news/author/mnelson/
XFLXtra https://xflboard.com/xfl-xtra/
Author: “XFL 2020: Rise and Fall” https://xfl2020book.com
Coming soon: “XFL 2023: Rise”
Favourite Leagues: XFL and CFL | Fan of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

MarkNelson wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:14 pm I agree on the point that the new owners should rebuild the teams and maybe publish a schedule before they talk about these type of policies.

Someone also pointed out they should talk to their players, too. However, I see that the players wants and needs are built into their plan.

For those who are disappointed by the owners’ statements, I simply point out how it is not unexpected.

Remember, though, that the first thing that came out of Vince McMahon's mouth when he announced XFL 2.0 was the no-kneeling rule. Vince knew that the fans didn't like the kneeling. He did something about it.

Vince created a league centered around the fans and found players willing to play within that. Johnson and Garcia seem to be centering it around the players, and hoping the fans would stick around. In a sense, it's a lot more like the Freedom Football League that got proposed a couple years back and never came to fruition.

Of course, the AAF was built around the players too, and the money ran out really fast.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:09 pm
MarkNelson wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:14 pm I agree on the point that the new owners should rebuild the teams and maybe publish a schedule before they talk about these type of policies.

Remember, though, that the first thing that came out of Vince McMahon's mouth when he announced XFL 2.0 was the no-kneeling rule. Vince knew that the fans didn't like the kneeling. He did something about it.

Vince created a league centered around the fans and found players willing to play within that. Johnson and Garcia seem to be centering it around the players, and hoping the fans would stick around. In a sense, it's a lot more like the Freedom Football League that got proposed a couple years back and never came to fruition.

Of course, the AAF was built around the players too, and the money ran out really fast.
johnnyAF,

you mean this doesn't appeal to you as a fb fan 1st, 2nd, and 3rd??? :roll:

https://twitter.com/DanyGarciaCo/status ... 0815998983

Its sounds like alot of fluff we heard from AAF and no one cared when it never happened. People watch FB for FB, especially pro-sub NFL FB. - it's a distraction and isn't going to help the XFL succeed, if they even play another down.
Last edited by 4th&long on Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
laxtreme56
Coach

Post by laxtreme56 »

I don't see the issue, they're not telling players to kneel. They're giving them the option to do as they please, nothing wrong with that. When I played high school football we had a minute of silence before we left the locker room. Some prayed silently, some not so silently, some just twiddled their thumbs for a minute and just wanted to get on the field. That's pretty much what's happening here too.