Reasons XFL 2022 might not happen

XFL Football discussion.
Loogan
Kicker

Reasons XFL 2022 might not happen

Post by Loogan »

I’ve been watching what’s going on and reading about how people are excited for XFL coming back. But I’d like to play the devils advocate and propose a list of reasons why the XFL won’t happen in 2022, as promised. Promises are broken all the time. Don’t shoot the messenger.

- Covid is still around through most, or all of 2021. Meaning preparations don’t happen. Delayed until 2023.

- The owners don’t have enough funding or enough investors to begin hiring in 2021, so they have to wait until 2022 to hire people, and then the next season starts in 2023.

- The owners change their mind. They decide not to do it, possibly when they realize their investment will not pay a return, and they will always lose money. (This might be the top reason)

- The owners decide to make major changes that will take more time. Example: expansion. More work to prepare. Delay until 2023.

Anyone think of any other dreaded scenarios? Halloween is coming, so let us scare the children.
frisco.vega
Linebacker

Re: Reasons XFL 2022 might not happen

Post by frisco.vega »

Loogan wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:33 pm I’ve been watching what’s going on and reading about how people are excited for XFL coming back. But I’d like to play the devils advocate and propose a list of reasons why the XFL won’t happen in 2022, as promised. Promises are broken all the time. Don’t shoot the messenger.

- Covid is still around through most, or all of 2021. Meaning preparations don’t happen. Delayed until 2023.

- The owners don’t have enough funding or enough investors to begin hiring in 2021, so they have to wait until 2022 to hire people, and then the next season starts in 2023.

- The owners change their mind. They decide not to do it, possibly when they realize their investment will not pay a return, and they will always lose money. (This might be the top reason)

- The owners decide to make major changes that will take more time. Example: expansion. More work to prepare. Delay until 2023.

Anyone think of any other dreaded scenarios? Halloween is coming, so let us scare the children.
-CoVid being around in 2021 wouldn’t necessarily prevent preparations. Meetings can be held over zoom, and they already “bubbled ,” in Houston for training camp before. I really don’t see how covid would prevent preparations. Their biggest worry for covid would be if it’s still around and at least limiting attendance in 2022.

-Yeah you definitely don’t have to worry about Dany the Rock or RedBird Capital not having enough money.

-This powerhouse ownership group didn’t just buy a whole football league to go “whoopsies” a year later and decide not to do it. I know you said you’re just playing devil’s advocate, but this seems like a decision they would make before purchasing the league.

-Any changes to be made by ownership is the reason why they pushed it out to 2022 instead of 2021. I really don’t think they will be changing much. Maybe relocating some teams but not much beyond that.

I know that nothing is guaranteed but I personally wouldn’t be worried about any of these happening
MarkNelson
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MarkNelson »

Greg Parks wrote about why the XFL has a rough road ahead. Good read.
https://xflboard.com/news/column-the-co ... g-xfl-3-0/

Financing is always going to be a big hurdle. If they can’t make this league work, financially, they will have to consider ending their dreams. Just ask Vince McMahon how this can play out, and he will tell you that he was bound and determined to fund the league for the long haul. Then, things happened, and he had to give up.

This is my third rodeo 😏 I take nothing for granted.
XFLBoard https://xflboard.com/news/author/mnelson/
XFLXtra https://xflboard.com/xfl-xtra/
Author: “XFL 2020: Rise and Fall” https://xfl2020book.com
Coming soon: “XFL 2023: Rise”
Favourite Leagues: XFL and CFL | Fan of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

Yeah, I think we're all keenly aware that 2022 might not happen. This is a very tough business.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

Loogan wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:33 pm I’ve been watching what’s going on and reading about how people are excited for XFL coming back. But I’d like to play the devils advocate and propose a list of reasons why the XFL won’t happen in 2022, as promised. Promises are broken all the time. Don’t shoot the messenger.

I've chanted on many of these threads that not having a 2021 season was a BAD sign and Major Disappointment and pointed out those 2 bold items. Covid isn't a problem now, it will be passe in Feb 2021.
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

You're forgetting one big issue in 2022: the Olympics. *IF* the rest of the world has abandoned COVID control efforts by 2022 (and remember, not since the Middle Ages—when germ theory wasn't even a thing yet—have authorities tried to keep a society locked down this long for disease control), you'll have the world's biggest sporting event sucking up all the attention, right at the time of year when leagues like the XFL get their best ratings. Combine that with the overall bad ratings for sports right now... and it's a recipe for a flop.

I'm not necessarily pessimistic, nor do I disagree with their decision not to play 2021 given the circumstances right now, but 2022 definitely poses a challenge.
Joker
Quarterback

Post by Joker »

Loogan wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:33 pm Anyone think of any other dreaded scenarios? Halloween is coming, so let us scare the children.
:lol: This made me laugh as I know the XFL fan bubble is full of wide eyed youngsters who are darn sure this league is not only coming back, but it’s already here for good. Remember the recent analysis of an upcoming XFL draft that was just fantasy? False rumours of coaches getting rehired?

Yes. The new owners bring a lot of positives. But so did the last owner, and the ones before.

I sure hope the league comes back. For the players and coaches especially. ...Here comes the déjà vu again.
Fan of the XFL from the beginning. You may remember me from the original XFLboard.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:36 am You're forgetting one big issue in 2022: the Olympics. *IF* the rest of the world has abandoned COVID control efforts by 2022 (and remember, not since the Middle Ages—when germ theory wasn't even a thing yet—have authorities tried to keep a society locked down this long for disease control), you'll have the world's biggest sporting event sucking up all the attention, right at the time of year when leagues like the XFL get their best ratings. Combine that with the overall bad ratings for sports right now... and it's a recipe for a flop.

I'm not necessarily pessimistic, nor do I disagree with their decision not to play 2021 given the circumstances right now, but 2022 definitely poses a challenge.
The 2022 Winter Olympics are more likely to happen at this point than the forthcoming Summer Olympics, which is scheduled for July 2021.
Sounder
Coach

Post by Sounder »

Wanna scare your kids? The reason XFL doesn't come back would be something outside the sports or business realm......WWIII. Even then, it still might.
MarkNelson
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MarkNelson »

Sounder wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:49 pm Wanna scare your kids? The reason XFL doesn't come back would be something outside the sports or business realm......WWIII. Even then, it still might.
Ironic you should mention this, since, prior to XFL 2020 beginning, I said the only thing that would stop the season was maybe a "nuclear bomb." I never considered the "pandemic" option.

Now, I am unsure what could be in store that would cancel XFL 3.0. :roll:
XFLBoard https://xflboard.com/news/author/mnelson/
XFLXtra https://xflboard.com/xfl-xtra/
Author: “XFL 2020: Rise and Fall” https://xfl2020book.com
Coming soon: “XFL 2023: Rise”
Favourite Leagues: XFL and CFL | Fan of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers