TSL structure

XFL Football discussion.
4th&long
MVP

TSL structure

Post by 4th&long »

Does TSL's structure allow them to operate in a way to avoid Workers Comp ins?

The Players aren't paid, in fact they pay TSL for the right to play. By doing this has Brian Woods found a way to avoid state requirements for WC ins as well? I do think I read that the players are responsible for their own health insurance. The main player costs to the TSL is room and board.

So TSL has no salary, no health ins and no WC ins for it's players? Basically its a place for players to show case to NFL/CFL their talent and stay in some form of FB shape by paying an organization that has the infrastructure and means to do so.
It's an amazing idea, and it actually worked to the point that FS1 (Fox Sports) is going to air games. With Tuesday and Wednesday games in THIS fall (oct 27th start), FS1 gets something to show on TV and TSL likely gets some $$ (or at least is paying nothing) and a way to attract talent who pay them for the privilege.

Perhaps this will find a Spring/Fall home or just spring or just fall niche. Give Brian Woods credit for making it work and sticking with it.

They partnered with the XFL to test rules and TV broadcasts, so Fox had an inside look at them, they likely saw enough there and with Brian Woods lobbying - cut a deal.

Word is TSL will be finally naming all its teams instead of TSL-East, TSL-West, etc...

It does look like they moved the bubble from LV to San Antonio and will be getting tax breaks and credits further reducing costs.

To me this is what a real DEV league is about as opposed to a Minor league, while these have many overlapping goals and operations, they are not quite the same.

Granted its more of a curiosity but with FS1 on board they have my attention and its real, its happening NOW and SPRING and that's more than anyone else.

https://www.foxsports.com/presspass/lat ... ing-lineup

Does anyone have more info on how this league works?
4th&long
MVP

Re: TSL structure

Post by 4th&long »

A little more...

https://twitter.com/ByMikeMitchell/stat ... 1388406788

>>Mike Mitchell
@ByMikeMitchell
Replying to
@ByMikeMitchell
Lastly, there will be XFL alumni involved in The Spring League. Coaches like Jerry Glanville, Ted Cottrell and Derrius Bell will be a part of the six team coaching staffs.
2:27 PM · Oct 6, 2020<<
4th&long
MVP

Former CFL QB Bethel-Thompson going back to TSL

Post by 4th&long »

https://3downnation.com/2020/10/08/form ... ng-league/

>> Former Canadian Football League quarterback McLeod Bethel-Thompson is going back to The Spring League.

After bouncing around to four NFL teams and being cut by the Winnipeg Blue Bombers in 2016, Bethel-Thompson went to TSL in April 2017. Following two games he eventually signed with the Toronto Argonauts. The Spring League rebooted his professional career and the 32-year-old is hoping for the same in 2020.

According to Postmedia reporter Dan Barnes: The Spring League CEO Brian Woods says former CFL QB McLeod Bethel-Thompson will be part of TSL’s six-team, four-week season which starts later this month in a bubble environment in San Antonio.

In August, Bethel-Thompson opted out of his CFL contract, it would have expired in February 2021. Originally, the San Francisco native was looking for an NFL opportunity, however that hasn’t come, yet. <<
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

Cottrell, Glanville?

Oh, goodness. This is starting to sound like UFL redux. Has anyone heard from Bill Hambrecht lately? :lol:
frisco.vega
Linebacker

Re: Former CFL QB Bethel-Thompson going back to TSL

Post by frisco.vega »

4th&long wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:07 pm https://3downnation.com/2020/10/08/form ... ng-league/

>> Former Canadian Football League quarterback McLeod Bethel-Thompson is going back to The Spring League.

After bouncing around to four NFL teams and being cut by the Winnipeg Blue Bombers in 2016, Bethel-Thompson went to TSL in April 2017. Following two games he eventually signed with the Toronto Argonauts. The Spring League rebooted his professional career and the 32-year-old is hoping for the same in 2020.

According to Postmedia reporter Dan Barnes: The Spring League CEO Brian Woods says former CFL QB McLeod Bethel-Thompson will be part of TSL’s six-team, four-week season which starts later this month in a bubble environment in San Antonio.

In August, Bethel-Thompson opted out of his CFL contract, it would have expired in February 2021. Originally, the San Francisco native was looking for an NFL opportunity, however that hasn’t come, yet. <<
With Bethel-Thompson signing on with them I’m hoping we can see some XFL/AAF vets playing through November. I feel like most of the younger QBs would consider it.
4th&long
MVP

Re: Former CFL QB Bethel-Thompson going back to TSL

Post by 4th&long »

frisco.vega wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:33 pm
4th&long wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:07 pm https://3downnation.com/2020/10/08/form ... ng-league/

With Bethel-Thompson signing on with them I’m hoping we can see some XFL/AAF vets playing through November. I feel like most of the younger QBs would consider it.
I think we'll see many AAF/XFL and NFL '20 training camps former palyers. With games televised on a major net FS1 - ie FILM, a short time frame commitment and the NFL having expanded rosters - there are opportunities.
4th&long
MVP

TSL season details

Post by 4th&long »

https://xflnewshub.com/xfl-news/the-spr ... e-details/

>> Practice Dates:

The majority of players will report to practice at noon on Monday, Oct 19, with QBs and WRs reporting at noon on Sunday, Oct 18.

Full team practice will begin on Tuesday, Oct 20, with all of the position and team meetings being held on Zoom.

Regular season games will span 4 weeks and will be played on the following dates:

Tues, Oct 27

Wed, Nov 4

Tues, Nov 10

Wed, Nov 11

Tues, Nov 17

Wed, Nov 18

The exact date of the League Championship is TBD but will be played during the week of Nov 24th.

How/Where to watch?

7 of the 12 regular-season games, plus the League Championship, will be aired on Fox Sports 1, although which specific games are to be aired have not been confirmed yet.<<
HVGuardian
Receiver

Post by HVGuardian »

2 games a week for six weeks. So there’s only 4 teams I assume?
frisco.vega
Linebacker

Post by frisco.vega »

HVGuardian wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:46 am 2 games a week for six weeks. So there’s only 4 teams I assume?
6 teams with no cities linked to them. No details on the schedule yet. I think it’ll be 3 Games a week through 4 weeks, with the championship after.

If I had to guess the 5 untelevised games will probably be in those first two weeks of Tuesday and Wednesday airings only.

That article also said that they’ll be allocating players between today and tomorrow. So hopefully we’ll get some roster/details in the next few days.
Loogan
Kicker

Post by Loogan »

Spring League must have no problem attracting players and coaches this year.