Press Release: XFL Announces Return to the Field in 2022

XFL Football discussion.
MGB01
MVP

Re: Press Release: XFL Announces Return to the Field in 2022

Post by MGB01 »

BFD on the ratings, it's why you put them on Saturday afternoon, not weekly prime time where you're playing to the masses/casuals. Hell FOX or ABC don't ever seem to get big ratings for college football unless Ohio State, Clemson, or Bama (the one game a year ABC gets them) are playing. But it's better to have it than go dark and have your affiliates fill the day with E/I programming or infomercials.

XFL1.0 would have been fine if NBC had done that originally. And as far as March Madness goes, you would have had probably the biggest crowd in XFL history on FOX going up against the third game on CBS, which goes into their split zone. The game on ABC would have been PJW and the Roughnecks overlapping against the first and second games. Also Duke was pretty much the only big TV draw for college basketball this last year, and they usually go Friday/Sunday. So March Madness what? This isn't 20 years ago, the top network college basketball game drew about 2.5 million viewers (ESPN had the top two)

FOX was just fine with a college basketball doubleheader followed by the XFL and then if they wanted to tack something on at the end whether it be PBC, MLS, or even WWE for a Super Saturday they could.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

MGB01 wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:01 am BFD on the ratings, it's why you put them on Saturday afternoon, not weekly prime time where you're playing to the masses/casuals. Hell FOX or ABC don't ever seem to get big ratings for college football unless Ohio State, Clemson, or Bama (the one game a year ABC gets them) are playing. But it's better to have it than go dark and have your affiliates fill the day with E/I programming or infomercials.

XFL1.0 would have been fine if NBC had done that originally. And as far as March Madness goes, you would have had probably the biggest crowd in XFL history on FOX going up against the third game on CBS, which goes into their split zone. The game on ABC would have been PJW and the Roughnecks overlapping against the first and second games. Also Duke was pretty much the only big TV draw for college basketball this last year, and they usually go Friday/Sunday. So March Madness what? This isn't 20 years ago, the top network college basketball game drew about 2.5 million viewers (ESPN had the top two)

FOX was just fine with a college basketball doubleheader followed by the XFL and then if they wanted to tack something on at the end whether it be PBC, MLS, or even WWE for a Super Saturday they could.
Not sure what your point is here MG?
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

I'm addressing LAX's ratings scaremongering. Who cares, ratings were what they were. Want big blow away ratings (for a week anyway) go out and sign Colin Kaepernick and open up a whole new set of problems.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

MGB01 wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:17 am I'm addressing LAX's ratings scaremongering. Who cares, ratings were what they were. Want big blow away ratings (for a week anyway) go out and sign Colin Kaepernick and open up a whole new set of problems.
Gotchya

Anyway u slice it XFL DID have good ratings. oh well
Sounder
Coach

Post by Sounder »

Hoorayyyy!!!! That's pretty exciting news! And I wouldn't worry too much about the XFL brand losing momentum by not playing in 2021.....I think those of us who were watching understand and will be there when it returns.....it's definitely a positive for Rock to announce this now.....to squash any doubt it's coming back. It's way too bad for Vince that Covid cut the legs out from under him as far as his plan to support it for three seasons, prove it's viability, then maybe acquire a paying deal that might've allowed him to sell teams off to investors. I think it was off to a great start, the quality of play was solid, the rules and the all access aspect made for exciting viewing.....I was all in.
I will still be......I can't wait to see what's in store. Thank you Rock and Dany.....go XFL.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

Sounder wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:45 pm Hoorayyyy!!!! That's pretty exciting news! And I wouldn't worry too much about the XFL brand losing momentum by not playing in 2021.....I think those of us who were watching understand and will be there when it returns.....it's definitely a positive for Rock to announce this now.....to squash any doubt it's coming back. It's way too bad for Vince that Covid cut the legs out from under him as far as his plan to support it for three seasons, prove it's viability, then maybe acquire a paying deal that might've allowed him to sell teams off to investors. I think it was off to a great start, the quality of play was solid, the rules and the all access aspect made for exciting viewing.....I was all in.
I will still be......I can't wait to see what's in store. Thank you Rock and Dany.....go XFL.
It has totally lost momentum, 2 years w/o a game? Come on.

He did not squash any doubt. Its only raised doubts. Want no doubt, play in 2021. This announcement got zero buzz, because it was a buzz kill.

Covid wasn't bad for Vince .... it was bad for Spring/Winter FB.
laxtreme56
Coach

Post by laxtreme56 »

The announcement was picked up by many media outlets and even the crumudgeon Mike Florio is looking forward to its return. Mcmahon is looked at as a dinosaur by most folk and is laughed at Major media. The Rock is nearly universally loved and if even a fraction of his Twitter followers watch the league, it will prosper.

I took nearly 20 people to the 2 guardians home games this year. Youngest attendee was 25 and oldest 43. Being friends with the vast majority of them they are all looking forward to the league returning in 2022 but are not comfortable going to large events until a vaccine comes about and is tested thoroughly
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

laxtreme56 wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:20 pm The announcement was picked up by many media outlets and even the crumudgeon Mike Florio is looking forward to its return. Mcmahon is looked at as a dinosaur by most folk and is laughed at Major media. The Rock is nearly universally loved and if even a fraction of his Twitter followers watch the league, it will prosper.

I took nearly 20 people to the 2 guardians home games this year. Youngest attendee was 25 and oldest 43. Being friends with the vast majority of them they are all looking forward to the league returning in 2022 but are not comfortable going to large events until a vaccine comes about and is tested thoroughly
being picked up and buzz are not the same. Come on it got little positive reaction make that little reaction- it was like air from a tire.

Low risk covid can be cautious but that's not the norm reaction. People want to get on with life, and low risk people esp. But to each his own.

No one is watching the XFL for The Rock. The watch it cause its good FB. That will be the driver.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

4th&long wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:03 pmLow risk covid can be cautious but that's not the norm reaction.
What?
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
Firecop
Coach

Post by Firecop »

Ditto Sounder, well said!
Direct from the Dragon's Lair