Rule Changes: What Do You Think?

XFL Football discussion.
XFL_FAN
Coach

Rule Changes: What Do You Think?

Post by XFL_FAN »

So the XFL is going to have different rules than the NFL. What will the changes be?
Ready for the team reveals...again
Andibald
Head Coach

Re: Rule Changes: What Do You Think?

Post by Andibald »

I have a bunch of ideas that I am trying to organize with more detail, mostly in the game format right now. It's difficult to re-imagine too much as most fans have a certain way of playing football ingrained in them. Here are some ideas base on shorter, quicker games, 40 player roster, safer, and simpler. I'll expand on each later:

-Kick off to start game and half only

-No punting

-First down "zones"

-Free kick extra points and field goals with points base on predetermine distances

-25 second play clock

-Actual game play timing

-Traditional commercials only during quarter breaks, or time outs

-Booth replays only
It's gettin' hot in here...and we about to burn 'em up!

Looks like the 2020 XFL champion may be 2-3 seconds short of playing a full season :?
Andibald
Head Coach

Post by Andibald »

-Kick off to start game and half only

-No punting

-First down "zones"

-Free kick extra points and field goals with points base on predetermine distances
Since the game is "foot"ball and "kickoff" is a term used to get the game going, we should have one to start the game. I also like one to start the second half. It will get the game going in a traditional manner. I would like to kick off from the 20yrd line to insure a return and decent field position (since there is no punting). After a TD the ball would be placed at the 40yd line. Eliminating the kickoff after a score will speed up the game and eliminate some injuries.

Eliminating punting will do a few things. It will speed up the game as there will be fewer player changes. There will also be fewer penalties (block in the back, holding, etc) and may reduce injuries. It also eliminates the need for two specialized players (punter and long snapper). I read someone saying that eliminating punting makes the game more like a tug of war.

Using first down "zones" like the zones used in touch/flag football will eliminate the need for chain gangs and measurements which will speed up play. I would use a 20yd "red zone" and four 15yd zones in between. A team will have 4 downs to advance to the next zone and may not have to go the full 15 yds (depending on where the ball is on 1st down) to get a new set of downs.

Making extra points and field goals "free kicks" (like a rugby try) eliminates the long snapper and holder. I watch some indoor football and it is frustrating watching poor snaps and holds by players who don't specialize in that. We get used to the perfect snaps and hold in the NFL and take it for granted. It should also speed up the game as only the kicker need come out for the kick. After a TD, players can celebrate while the kicker is preparing to kick. Also, there could be points based on where the kick is from. My plan would have kicks from the 20, 35, or 50 for extra points for 1, 2, or 3pts and maybe even adding a 4pt kick from the opposing 35. For field goals, we could use the same format but give the team a choice to kick from any zone they have reached (example: in the red zone but want 2pts, kick from the 35). This would eliminate the need to lose yards in order to get to a longer field goal (more valuable) as some rule changers suggest.

Looks like the 2020 XFL champion may be 2-3 seconds short of playing a full season :?
Andibald
Head Coach

Post by Andibald »

-25 second play clock

-Actual game play timing

-Traditional commercials only during quarter breaks, or time outs

-Booth replays only
* I should have added "running game clock" to this also.

Quicker and faster games need a shorter play clock than the NFL. I read that the avg play in the NFL is 4 or 5 seconds long. Using 5 seconds and a 25 second play clock, that would be a total of 30 seconds or less for a play. Using a running game clock, at 30 seconds per play with no stops, a 60 minute game would have 120 plays. That would be roughly 60 plays for each team and is slightly less than the NFL avg. If we are shooting for a 2 hour game, that would leave 60 minutes for other stoppages.

We could also try using what I call, "actual game play timing". Using the above numbers, a game will take 10 minutes of actual playing ( 5 seconds X 120 plays). Using 2.5 minute quarters, stopping the clock after each play and using a 25 second play clock that starts immediately after the previous play is over, would eliminate the frustration of watching game clock disappear while players are standing around doing nothing (especially with a running clock). Out of bounds and incomplete passes would be the same as any other play. It would also make the end of a game a little easier for the offense, if behind, as the clock will stop after each play and they would have a normal 25 seconds to prepare for the next play. It would eliminate the 10 second run off for penalties on teams rushing to the line and would eliminate the "spike" to stop the clock.

Ideally the game would be run in 4 non-interrupted quarters. With 60 minutes of play (play and play clock), we could have a 3-5 minute break after the 1st and 3rd quarters and a 12-15 minute half time. Short 1 minute commercials could be used after a score or during a team or official time out and/or use in-game commercials.

With a quicker pace of play, replays should be (if at all) done in the booth for obvious errors only. If a team wants the booth to look longer at a play, they must burn a time out (30 sec max). Again, only obvious errors. With the quicker pace of play, fans will likely see less replays as the next play will be coming quickly and hopefully the controversies will be less.

XFL_FAN
Coach

Post by XFL_FAN »

Thanks Anibald, good stuff there. I think that punting should still be allowed. Kickoffs to start game and half only makes sense. After teams score, the ball will automatically be placed on the 25 yard line. I know the game could be safer without punting, but I just don't know. Punting is a part of the game I don't know if they could forgo. I think that football could use a makeover, but just not a overhaul.
Andibald
Head Coach

Post by Andibald »

Punting is a part of the game I don't know if they could forgo.
I'm just not sure what punting brings to the game.
A big play return, a fake punt or a blocked punt are exciting plays but don't happen often.
In terms of field position, punts can get a team out of trouble, or can pin a team deep.

More often there are fair catches and penalties which waste valuable playing time.
Without punting, teams won't have to practice for punts and punt returns and can focus on offense and defense. Also, with the proposed 40 man roster, eliminating some special teams will reduce the chance of a starter getting injured as more would have to play.

When combined with no kick-offs after a score and starting with the ball at the 35 or 40yd line, the only way to get pinned deep in your own territory would be to have a defensive stand in your red zone, or have a really bad offensive series (turnover, penalties, sacks, etc). And with 4 plays to get a first down, change of possessions would be fewer.

I agree that too many changes won't be good and likely won't happen but I think eliminating most special teams will keep the game flowing and add to the offensive potential.

XFL_FAN
Coach

Post by XFL_FAN »

I really enjoy a classical field-position game sometimes. Maybe that's just me. 8-)
Andibald
Head Coach

Post by Andibald »

I hear ya :)

As a former kick and punt returner, maybe I got lit up too many times :lol:

XFL_FAN
Coach

Post by XFL_FAN »

Andibald wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:21 pm I hear ya :)

As a former kick and punt returner, maybe I got lit up too many times :lol:
:lol:
Joker
Quarterback

Post by Joker »

You don’t see as many punt returners tackled and injured as you see QBs injured by late hits or helmet-helmet hits.

I say, keep the punts, but crack down on the dirty hits.
Fan of the XFL from the beginning. You may remember me from the original XFLboard.