XFL Zoom Meeting Number 42

XFL Football discussion.
MarkNelson
UFLBoard Correspondent

XFL Zoom Meeting Number 42

Post by MarkNelson »

Dany Garcia posted this on her Instagram Friday, showing what she referred to as meeting #42.

I believe she is trying to show they are working on the big plan, and also that The Rock is involved, even though he is on a movie set right now.

https://xflboard.com/news/xfl-owner-dan ... -the-week/
On Friday, XFL co-owner Dany Garcia posted an Instagram story featuring a XFL Zoom meeting containing, as far as we can tell from the quality of the image, (from top left to right) XFL President Jeffrey Pollack, Dany Garcia, Basil DeVito, Dana Covo, Toby Lee, Thomas Van Wazer, Cindy Wagner, Chirag Mithani, and Dwayne “the Rock” Johnson. (Credit to Twitter:Mike Mitchell for recognizing some of the individuals.)
dany garcia xfl planning.jpg
dany garcia xfl planning.jpg (175.26 KiB) Viewed 3138 times
dany garcia xfl planning TALL.jpg
dany garcia xfl planning TALL.jpg (196.39 KiB) Viewed 3137 times
UFLBoard: https://uflboard.com/news/author/mnelson/
Author: “XFL 2020: Rise and Fall” https://xfl2020book.com
Coming soon: “XFL 2023: Rise”
Favourite Leagues: XFL and CFL | Fan of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Re: XFL Zoom Meeting Number 42

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

Wait, Basil DeVito (he of the original XFL) is back in the picture?
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:22 pm Wait, Basil DeVito (he of the original XFL) is back in the picture?
I think he was also involved in XFL 2.0 as well.
@gregmparks
MarkNelson
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MarkNelson »

Yes he was there in XFL 2.0, but you didn't hear much from him, because he was attached to Alpha Entertainment. His title was Executive Director Of Operations for Alpha Entertainment, but I believe he was mainly McMahon's eyes and ears inside the league.

I wonder where his involvement lies now, especially with the new ownership not being "Alpha Entertainment." Perhaps he is engaged on a term contract for the switchover period, for continuity?
UFLBoard: https://uflboard.com/news/author/mnelson/
Author: “XFL 2020: Rise and Fall” https://xfl2020book.com
Coming soon: “XFL 2023: Rise”
Favourite Leagues: XFL and CFL | Fan of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers
Joker
Quarterback

Post by Joker »

Not sure if meeting number 42 was a joke or a real stat, but this post by Danny shows the desire to get this thing going again. I am impressed by the new owners for their motivation. I wish they told us more.

I can’t help but think they are talking about the numbers and the realization that if they don’t have a paid network deal, empty stands won’t pay the bills and they will lose a lot of money. The XFL can make some side money on product sales and subscriptions to next years season tickets, but they will still lose a lot of money. Unless they can come up with a big fat network deal that can pay them, plus sponsors.
Fan of the XFL from the beginning. You may remember me from the original XFLboard.
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

Joker wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:58 am Not sure if meeting number 42 was a joke or a real stat, but this post by Danny shows the desire to get this thing going again. I am impressed by the new owners for their motivation. I wish they told us more.

I can’t help but think they are talking about the numbers and the realization that if they don’t have a paid network deal, empty stands won’t pay the bills and they will lose a lot of money. The XFL can make some side money on product sales and subscriptions to next years season tickets, but they will still lose a lot of money. Unless they can come up with a big fat network deal that can pay them, plus sponsors.
What they'll need to do:
—Bring back as many players as they can from last year, and possibly a few vets with NFL name recognition (no, I'm not talking Kaepernick, but Manziel might be worth considering). No need to go WFL/USFL and target marquee stars; that'd do more harm than good and I don't think they have the budget, but something comparable to the UFL (and to an extent the AAF) where seasoned vets near the end of their career supplemented the in-house talent. You're trying to make the TV package as attractive as possible.
—Avoid controversy. Sports is escapism. The major leagues are getting crushed right now because they've gone down a social justice rabbit hole. This past year, the XFL put its foot down on it, and it worked: no kneeling, no controversy.
—Take the ratings they had last year, and note how they compare to MLS and the NHL, which have worse ratings and more TV money. That's your negotiation tactic. You have a proven product. If they're still skeptical, have them look at the AAF's ratings on lesser channels.
XFL2020
Receiver

Post by XFL2020 »

It’s funny seeing Basil Devito Jr. there. I wonder about that?
FootballYoda
Quarterback

Post by FootballYoda »

When is meeting number 43? :D
Joker
Quarterback

Post by Joker »

FootballYoda wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:29 pm When is meeting number 43? :D
That’s all we need is another zoom meeting screen shot with a totally different cast of characters. It would drive people crazy!
Fan of the XFL from the beginning. You may remember me from the original XFLboard.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

I will be shocked if none of these meetings involved a plan for the league to deal with COVID 19 should they return in 2021. Whether to play in a bubble or not, access to testing and how many times to test, the possibility of more than "Team 9" for practice rosters of game ready players in case of an outbreak on one or more of the teams.