The Rock owned XFL needs to address the Elephant in the room: Social Justice

XFL Football discussion.
GDAWG
MVP

Re: The Rock owned XFL needs to address the Elephant in the room: Social Justice

Post by GDAWG »

MarkNelson wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:17 pm Social Justice policies will be solely on the new owners to come up with. I hope they know this is of high importance, and I suspect they do. I await their announcement of a plan, and the online discussion that will surely follow.
That is what I have been saying this whole time. You are the only one who agrees with me on how important this should be for the XFL.
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Re: The Rock owned XFL needs to address the Elephant in the room: Social Justice

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

GDAWG wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:24 pm
Tank55 wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:20 am GDAWG, what policy would you suggest?
Announce a diverse panel of faces to address these issues head on that affects the people working in the XFL. Donate money to organizations such as LULAC, GLAAD and the NAACP and the Asian American Legal Defense Fund. Make sure that you support the players right to social justice, but at the same time remind them that it should not be a distraction during game days. However, do allow players to address any racial problems to the panel. Encourage players to be involved in the community and help out everybody regardless of race (if they hadn't done so already).

On game days, get rid of the anthems during games and instead play the team fight songs to start off the games. This way, it becomes less about politics and more about football. In fact, if you want a social message during XFL games on the field, why not "fighting cancer?" It's less divisive and if players on teams lock hands during game day it's because they are united in the fight against cancer.

All I am saying is that this issue isn't going away even after the election and if that is the case, the XFL management is going to have to address it once it gets closer to restart. For the league to ignore it once it returns won't look good for the XFL.
This league will lose 90% of the fans it earned in early 2020 if it starts going down the road of pandering to special-interest hypenated-American groups.

Look at the ratings for sports lately. They're awful. You'd think with coronavirus wreaking havoc on any form of competing entertainment, ratings would be through the roof—but the opposite has happened. Instead, ratings have plummeted. The players of the major leagues have alienated the fans that give them the eyeballs, just in time for the NFL's TV contracts to be renegotiated.

One of the major selling points of the XFL was that it kept the social justice stuff out of the game, and it worked. Eliminating the national anthem would be like eliminating marriage because homosexuals insisted on same-sex marriage: sure, you'd achieve the goal of equality (and as a frustrated incel myself, I would prefer that solution) but it will likely make the pressure organizations angrier.

The XFL is in the business of selling tickets to fans. You cannot lose those fans by going down the social justice rabbit hole and expect to come out the other end just fine.
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:14 pmLook at the ratings for sports lately. They're awful. You'd think with coronavirus wreaking havoc on any form of competing entertainment, ratings would be through the roof—but the opposite has happened. Instead, ratings have plummeted. The players of the major leagues have alienated the fans that give them the eyeballs, just in time for the NFL's TV contracts to be renegotiated.

One of the major selling points of the XFL was that it kept the social justice stuff out of the game, and it worked. Eliminating the national anthem would be like eliminating marriage because homosexuals insisted on same-sex marriage: sure, you'd achieve the goal of equality (and as a frustrated incel myself, I would prefer that solution) but it will likely make the pressure organizations angrier.
Not only that, the national anthem is not about the protestor. It's usually a before-the-break pop artist getting their first big moment (i.e. Mariah Carey at the 1990 NBA Finals), anything like that is crapping all over it.

Kaepernick had jack to do with social justice, or else he would have at least made a big deal of his newfound wokeness after the Niners played in StL in 2015 on the near anniversary of the Ferguson verdict. He simply took a page out of the Michael Sam/Jason Collins book of attempting to leverage a job (both which failed btw, and so did Kaep), having turned down a trade to the Broncos a few months earlier--so what if they wanted him to take a pay cut? Yannick Ngakoue just did the same when he got traded to the Vikings. Let's see, backup QB w 20 million cap hit on team headed for their next coach, gee wonder what's gonna happen there. If it was such an issue, then why did Richard Sherman (Kaep fanboy, although given their relationship as his favorite receiver I understand) sign with the same team two offseasons later? Now Eric Reid, who last year ranked with such luminaries as Tedric Thompson, is pulling it again. And they wonder why......................

As for the NBA what's hilarious is they can't get out of Orlando fast enough. The NBA Finals are scheduled to start September 30, yet that's also Game 7 of the WCF (thanks to their little walkout) if it goes that long.

I thought ratings would at least be up to see the train wreck, apparently not so much.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:14 pm
Tank55 wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:20 am GDAWG, what policy would you suggest?
Announce a diverse panel of faces to address these issues head on that affects the people working in the XFL. Donate money to organizations such as LULAC, GLAAD and the NAACP and the Asian American Legal Defense Fund. Make sure that you support the players right to social justice, but at the same time remind them that it should not be a distraction during game days. However, do allow players to address any racial problems to the panel. Encourage players to be involved in the community and help out everybody regardless of race (if they hadn't done so already).

On game days, get rid of the anthems during games and instead play the team fight songs to start off the games. This way, it becomes less about politics and more about football. In fact, if you want a social message during XFL games on the field, why not "fighting cancer?" It's less divisive and if players on teams lock hands during game day it's because they are united in the fight against cancer.

All I am saying is that this issue isn't going away even after the election and if that is the case, the XFL management is going to have to address it once it gets closer to restart. For the league to ignore it once it returns won't look good for the XFL.
This league will lose 90% of the fans it earned in early 2020 if it starts going down the road of pandering to special-interest hypenated-American groups.

Look at the ratings for sports lately. They're awful. You'd think with coronavirus wreaking havoc on any form of competing entertainment, ratings would be through the roof—but the opposite has happened. Instead, ratings have plummeted. The players of the major leagues have alienated the fans that give them the eyeballs, just in time for the NFL's TV contracts to be renegotiated.

The XFL is in the business of selling tickets to fans. You cannot lose those fans by going down the social justice rabbit hole and expect to come out the other end just fine.
It doesn't have to be any of that. It can be simple as a statement condemning racism and being a league that is open to everyone regardless of religion, race, gender, political affiliation or sexual orientation. That's it. They can release that statement and move on to just football. But I guess you and everybody here would be angry that the XFL would release a short statement such as that.

:roll: :roll:
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

GDAWG wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:55 pm
johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:14 pm

It doesn't have to be any of that. It can be simple as a statement condemning racism and being a league that is open to everyone regardless of religion, race, gender, political affiliation or sexual orientation. That's it. They can release that statement and move on to just football. But I guess you and everybody here would be angry that the XFL would release a short statement such as that.

Why bother stating what's law? Why bother stating what 99.99% of people already believe? Does anyone need to hear these pandering, just to check a box? Release a short statement it will only infuriate radicals, they are never statisfied.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

MGB01 wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:54 pm
johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:14 pmLook at the ratings for sports lately. They're awful. You'd think with coronavirus wreaking havoc on any form of competing entertainment, ratings would be through the roof—but the opposite has happened. Instead, ratings have plummeted. The players of the major leagues have alienated the fans that give them the eyeballs, just in time for the NFL's TV contracts to be renegotiated.

Not only that, the national anthem is not about the protestor. It's usually a before-the-break pop artist getting their first big moment (i.e. Mariah Carey at the 1990 NBA Finals), anything like that is crapping all over it.

Kaepernick had jack to do with social justice, or else he would have at least made a big deal of his newfound wokeness after the Niners played in StL in 2015 on the near anniversary of the Ferguson verdict. He simply took a page out of the Michael Sam/Jason Collins book of attempting to leverage a job (both which failed btw, and so did Kaep), having turned down a trade to the Broncos a few months earlier--so what if they wanted him to take a pay cut? Yannick Ngakoue just did the same when he got traded to the Vikings. Let's see, backup QB w 20 million cap hit on team headed for their next coach, gee wonder what's gonna happen there. If it was such an issue, then why did Richard Sherman (Kaep fanboy, although given their relationship as his favorite receiver I understand) sign with the same team two offseasons later? Now Eric Reid, who last year ranked with such luminaries as Tedric Thompson, is pulling it again. And they wonder why......................

As for the NBA what's hilarious is they can't get out of Orlando fast enough. The NBA Finals are scheduled to start September 30, yet that's also Game 7 of the WCF (thanks to their little walkout) if it goes that long.

I thought ratings would at least be up to see the train wreck, apparently not so much.
^ Nails it!
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

GDAWG wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:55 pm It doesn't have to be any of that. It can be simple as a statement condemning racism and being a league that is open to everyone regardless of religion, race, gender, political affiliation or sexual orientation. That's it. They can release that statement and move on to just football. But I guess you and everybody here would be angry that the XFL would release a short statement such as that.

Football, hell sports for that matter, do that already, look no further than the Tigers winning the Series at the height of the riots in '68 and you had Norm Cash and Willie Horton alternating bombs out of Tiger Stadium and shaking each other's hand. Contrary to what Kaepernick, Reid, and even LeBron tell you (pretty sure that whitebreads Mike Miller, Chris Andersen, and Kevin Love helped LeBron win his three titles but wouldn't want to rain on anyone's parade with facts or anything)

If it took retiring the Redskins name to kill off the George Marshall era I'm ultimately fine with it. Racism aside, Marshall was a lousy owner who, if it was all up to him, we would have never had Pete Rozelle and would have had the 60s version of Roger Goodell (shudder at that for a second). Vince Lombardi would have done the same thing he did with Jim Ringo, except he probably wouldn't have waited for a trade, if he caught anyone discriminating in any way other than through competition, as it should be--discrimination is merely choosing one over the other, what makes it bad is when you add race or sex to it.

If you're seeing a product already with different racial (and gender in some cases) makeups fighting together to achieve a goal, especially one now with minority owners, why do you need a commercial or even a statement? That's your commercial, that's your statement. Nothing else necessary, especially anything that basically says "You're the problem, whitey" cause you just destroyed your own message.
HVGuardian
Receiver

Post by HVGuardian »

Personally I don’t see the need to go out of their way to send some kind of statement on social justice. As others have mentioned, the XFL already is diverse and no rational person would accuse the XFL of being pro racism.

Stick to “for the love of football” as your message.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

To be honest, I just wanted to give us something to talk about while we await news on the league. That's my real intention for this post.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

GDAWG wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:59 am To be honest, I just wanted to give us something to talk about while we await news on the league. That's my real intention for this post.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

well find something else to talk about :mrgreen:

There's plenty!