NFL Season starts tonight - Did the XFL lose its moment?

XFL Football discussion.
Joker
Quarterback

NFL Season starts tonight - Did the XFL lose its moment?

Post by Joker »

With the NFL season kicking off, with a whole lot of fanfare and hype, did the XFL screw up in not announcing their next season prior to this?

Especially if the NFL succeeds. and they are not stopped by Covid, their hype will wipe any momentum the XFL had off the map.
Fan of the XFL from the beginning. You may remember me from the original XFLboard.
Tank55
MVP

Re: NFL Season starts tonight - Did the XFL lose its moment?

Post by Tank55 »

The XFL was and presumably still is a complementary product to the NFL. Best case scenario is that the NFL season is so awesome and compelling that people are still craving pro football when the season ends.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
FootballYoda
Quarterback

Post by FootballYoda »

I admit I did not enjoy tonight’s KC-Texans game, maybe because it was a blowout. I miss the XFL anyways. Dany and the Rock should just restart it and let’s play some football.
Joker
Quarterback

Post by Joker »

FootballYoda wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:07 am I admit I did not enjoy tonight’s KC-Texans game, maybe because it was a blowout. I miss the XFL anyways. Dany and the Rock should just restart it and let’s play some football.
Fun to watch football again. The game wasn’t great unless you were a KC fan.
Fan of the XFL from the beginning. You may remember me from the original XFLboard.
MarkNelson
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MarkNelson »

I am willing to bet the XFL owners were watching many parts of that game, and I am not talking about The Rock cutout in the stands next to the Queen of England.

The pregame honoring equal rights, in many different ways. One team avoiding the anthem by staying in the locker room. There was a lot to take in here. The XFL must be taking notes of what worked and didn't work.

As for the game? KC and Mahomes look pretty strong.
UFLBoard: https://uflboard.com/news/author/mnelson/
Author: “XFL 2020: Rise and Fall” https://xfl2020book.com
Coming soon: “XFL 2023: Rise”
Favourite Leagues: XFL and CFL | Fan of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

The Texans are suddenly staring at 0-4, maybe Falcons would have been better (Ryan, Gurley, JuJo, Ridley, Grady Jarrett) like was reportedly Plan B--no doubt before Brady left Brady/Mahomes was Plan A.

Granted there's only been a handful of interconference matchups in the history of Thursday night openers (one was a SB rematch) but maybe that would have been the way to go. After all, they would have gone Brees or Brady vs Mahomes (and thus saving Plan A) had the matchups been reversed.

As for the XFL I doubt it matters either way. Finding the opening is the big thing.