Will the XFL play in a Covid free bubble?

XFL Football discussion.
User avatar
Firecop
Quarterback
Posts: 378
Joined: Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:10 pm

Re: Will the XFL play in a Covid free bubble?

Post by Firecop » Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:47 am

What the NFL and other major sports leagues can't or won't realize is that their "wokeness" threatens to turn off (and subsequently tune out) fans end masse. Regardless of your political leanings or views on the current protests, the average fan enjoys his favorite sport as a escapist diversion to these very things and the daily grind of life.

Who doesn't like to hang out with friends, enjoy a cold one, and root for their favorite teams? The NFL in particular is in very real danger, teams, players, and coaches alike, of totally skewering their golden goose. Talk about a buzz kill!

This then presents the XFL with a golden opportunity to prevent that very same scenario; an opportunity that could very well present the league as a real alternative to the NFL. Football is a business and businesses have rules, be it a dress code, code of conduct or rules regarding your travel expenses. Conduct Rules can be made and rules can be enforced, if you have guts to do so. I have always believed in having the minimal amount of rules necessary and then strictly enforcing the ones you have - the XFL could and should do the same IMO.

The XFL should try to put the sport back in football, it' suppose to be for the fans anyway, and get back to just playing ball.

Nuff sed.
Direct from the Dragon's Lair

XFLInSTL
Running Back
Posts: 111
Joined: Thu May 16, 2019 3:17 pm

Re: Will the XFL play in a Covid free bubble?

Post by XFLInSTL » Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:35 pm

4th&long wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:06 am
Tank55 wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:38 pm
Right, it's America, not North Korea. The football game isn't here to serve the pregame pomp; the pregame pomp is here to serve the football game. I love Whitney Houston and the F-15s as much as the next guy, but when it starts detracting from the game -- the thing that actually matters -- it's not "caving" to drop it. It's putting your product ahead of lame culture war BS.
Well we disagree. It is caving if you don't play the anthem. Playing the anthem is common in sports throughout the world. Anthem is national pride, not politics. Injecting SJW into sports "in your face" is injecting politics into sports.

The point is NFL is not eliminating the Anthem - they are injecting politics into sports and using a sledge hammer not a scalpel - its a real turn off.

Jason Whitlock (formerly on FS1) from Outkick describes it well.

https://www.outkick.com/roger-goodell-t ... g-the-nfl/
I try to avoid interjecting into these threads because I know this site generally has opposing views to my own, but this really is just a silly argument. Playing the national anthem is a political issue because it has been made a political issue since 2016. Sports and politics have always been intertwined.
St. Louis Battlehawks

User avatar
Tank55
Head Coach
Posts: 1042
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:57 pm

Re: Will the XFL play in a Covid free bubble?

Post by Tank55 » Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:20 pm

4th&long wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:06 am
Anthem is national pride, not politics.
"National pride" is political, by definition.
2020 East Division Champions

User avatar
johnnyangryfuzzball
Coach
Posts: 814
Joined: Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:22 pm

Re: Will the XFL play in a Covid free bubble?

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball » Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:32 pm

GDAWG wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:03 pm
If the XFL doesn't do anything, players in the XFL will end up kneeling while the national anthem is playing. This XFL will need some sort of policy dealing with this as if the XFL doesn't do anything, that is a signal to players that they can do anything they want in regards to dealing with social justice.
The XFL DID have a policy. It was written in the contracts: you must stand during the anthem, period. Refusing to do so would be a violation of the contract.

As of now, that policy is still in effect until/unless a new commissioner changes that.

4th&long
Coach
Posts: 749
Joined: Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:27 pm

Re: Will the XFL play in a Covid free bubble?

Post by 4th&long » Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:01 pm

Tank55 wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:20 pm
4th&long wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:06 am
Anthem is national pride, not politics.
"National pride" is political, by definition.
Not at all, don't conflate national symbolism with politics.

4th&long
Coach
Posts: 749
Joined: Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:27 pm

Re: Will the XFL play in a Covid free bubble?

Post by 4th&long » Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:01 pm

johnnyangryfuzzball wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:32 pm
GDAWG wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:03 pm
If the XFL doesn't do anything, players in the XFL will end up kneeling while the national anthem is playing. This XFL will need some sort of policy dealing with this as if the XFL doesn't do anything, that is a signal to players that they can do anything they want in regards to dealing with social justice.
The XFL DID have a policy. It was written in the contracts: you must stand during the anthem, period. Refusing to do so would be a violation of the contract.

As of now, that policy is still in effect until/unless a new commissioner changes that.
Good point.

4th&long
Coach
Posts: 749
Joined: Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:27 pm

Re: Will the XFL play in a Covid free bubble?

Post by 4th&long » Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:05 pm

XFLInSTL wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:35 pm
4th&long wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:06 am
Tank55 wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:38 pm
Right, it's America, not North Korea. The football game isn't here to serve the pregame pomp; the pregame pomp is here to serve the football game. I love Whitney Houston and the F-15s as much as the next guy, but when it starts detracting from the game -- the thing that actually matters -- it's not "caving" to drop it. It's putting your product ahead of lame culture war BS.
Well we disagree. It is caving if you don't play the anthem. Playing the anthem is common in sports throughout the world. Anthem is national pride, not politics. Injecting SJW into sports "in your face" is injecting politics into sports.

The point is NFL is not eliminating the Anthem - they are injecting politics into sports and using a sledge hammer not a scalpel - its a real turn off.

Jason Whitlock (formerly on FS1) from Outkick describes it well.

https://www.outkick.com/roger-goodell-t ... g-the-nfl/
I try to avoid interjecting into these threads because I know this site generally has opposing views to my own, but this really is just a silly argument. Playing the national anthem is a political issue because it has been made a political issue since 2016. Sports and politics have always been intertwined.
When the national anthem is made a political issue - you ignore it. Like I said above - when you cave, they'll just find something else, that's how they work. Sports and politics have not been intertwined unless it China or USSR, national pride and sports have in the USA, but that's diff.

User avatar
Tank55
Head Coach
Posts: 1042
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:57 pm

Re: Will the XFL play in a Covid free bubble?

Post by Tank55 » Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:35 pm

4th&long wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:01 pm
Not at all, don't conflate national symbolism with politics.
Don't conflate your personal feelings with actual definitions of words. The first definition when you google "political" is "relating to the government or the public affairs of a country." The distinction you're trying to draw doesn't exist.

Some of us are just trying to watch the game. If you care more about this inanity than football, that's your right, but polluting every single thread with calls of "keep politics out of sports" when you transparently mean "keep incorrect political opinions out of sports" is infuriating. You're the other side of the same coin.
2020 East Division Champions

4th&long
Coach
Posts: 749
Joined: Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:27 pm

Re: Will the XFL play in a Covid free bubble?

Post by 4th&long » Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:45 pm

Tank55 wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:35 pm
4th&long wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:01 pm
Not at all, don't conflate national symbolism with politics.
Don't conflate your personal feelings with actual definitions of words. The first definition when you google "political" is "relating to the government or the public affairs of a country." The distinction you're trying to draw doesn't exist.

Some of us are just trying to watch the game. If you care more about this inanity than football, that's your right, but polluting every single thread with calls of "keep politics out of sports" when you transparently mean "keep incorrect political opinions out of sports" is infuriating. You're the other side of the same coin.
Politics in the that sense is not the politics we are seeing, its uni-national vs bi-partisan or counter culture. The US Mail is not political but it is governemnt. So is the G W Bridge. That's my point.

MarkNelson
XFLBoard Correspondent
Posts: 361
Joined: Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:09 pm

Re: Will the XFL play in a Covid free bubble?

Post by MarkNelson » Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:14 pm

When it comes to standing during the anthem I will always support the players and what they want to do. That’s my only opinion.

Post Reply