RedBird Capital, Dany Garcia, and The Rock to buy XFL for $15M

XFL Football discussion.
GDAWG
MVP

Re: RedBird Capital, Dany Garcia, and The Rock to buy XFL for $15M

Post by GDAWG »

I wonder if plans for a 2021 bubble change if all of College Football is canceled in the fall.
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

And here's the Athletic's write-up:

https://theathletic.com/1972080/2020/08 ... y-the-xfl/ (subscription required)

Key takeaways for me:
-There was actually a second bid on Friday but only Johnson/Garcia's "passed muster" (whatever that means)
-Garcia noted the capital they were willing to put in to the XFL is "substantial," but did not quote a dollar figure
-Garcia, who like the ESPN interview spoke for the group, declined to commit to the league returning for sure in 2021
-She likes the eight-team structure and would like to expand in the future, but they're going to assess the current locations of the teams
-Pollack and his management team will be kept
-Pollack said the TV deals with ESPN and FOX being part of the bankruptcy process remain unresolved. (I would've thought that would have to get resolved before the bids were due, because it would matter significantly to the price people would be willing to pay for the league)
@gregmparks
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

GregParks wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:46 pm And here's the Athletic's write-up:

Key takeaways for me:
-There was actually a second bid on Friday but only Johnson/Garcia's "passed muster" (whatever that means)
-Garcia noted the capital they were willing to put in to the XFL is "substantial," but did not quote a dollar figure
-Garcia, who like the ESPN interview spoke for the group, declined to commit to the league returning for sure in 2021
-She likes the eight-team structure and would like to expand in the future, but they're going to assess the current locations of the teams
-Pollack said the TV deals with ESPN and FOX being part of the bankruptcy process remain unresolved. (I would've thought that would have to get resolved before the bids were due, because it would matter significantly to the price people would be willing to pay for the league)
Probably has everything to do with Dwayne Johnson's star power and relationship with Vince McMahon.
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

GDAWG wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:47 pm

Key takeaways for me:
Probably has everything to do with Dwayne Johnson's star power and relationship with Vince McMahon.
I took it as something being wrong with the other bid. I don't think legally they can just favor The Rock for his star power/relationship with Vince if there's another good bid.
@gregmparks
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

GregParks wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:53 pm
GDAWG wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:47 pm

Key takeaways for me:
I took it as something being wrong with the other bid. I don't think legally they can just favor The Rock for his star power/relationship with Vince if there's another good bid.
His star power indicates he's financially stable. Too often secondary leagues will just allow anyone in who has money without looking at their finances. What this indicates to me is that the XFL is taking the approach we see from the NFL, MLB, NHL, MLS and NBA in that they vet any prospective owners: checking their financial backgrounds. It's one of the reasons the indoor leagues have so many problems, they don't vet prospective owners and they just let anyone in who has enough money to buy a team. The other bid may have more money and made a higher bid than Johnson's group, but that doesn't mean that group is financially stable.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

Now I know the XFL is back, because I'm once again being driven insane by GDWAG's logic. Star power is a better indicator of financial stability than wealth?
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

GregParks wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:53 pm I took it as something being wrong with the other bid. I don't think legally they can just favor The Rock for his star power/relationship with Vince if there's another good bid.
Indeed. It wouldn't surprise me if someone tried to submit a $1 bid just for the sake of saying they bid on the XFL. Or it could be a Pete Hulthwaite-type bid from someone who bid in good faith but clearly didn't have the resources or connections to keep the momentum of the XFL going.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

the Rock is financially stable, thanks in part to Dany Garcia, who happens to be his ex wife and business partner. She seems to be the one who handles the finances for him.
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

Waiting for the, if it hasn't happened already, "exclusive" by Meltzer or his legions that Vince arranged this with Dwayne in secret to pop a rating for RAW :lol:

I personally could care less if it was the only bid that meant anything, hell after the "news" back in May that Vince was supposedly ready to run afoul of the SEC broke that pretty much blew everything to hell that it even went for anything tangible should be considered a victory (whoever broke it should be broke),

Plus you would think a minority ownership group would be a bigger deal with the current media narrative (well one of them), oh wait..........................
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

Winston Moss is the second head coach that I'm aware of (after June Jones) to publicly say they'd be interested in returning as coach to the XFL:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... -with-xfl/
@gregmparks