RedBird Capital, Dany Garcia, and The Rock to buy XFL for $15M

XFL Football discussion.
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Re: RedBird Capital, Dany Garcia, and The Rock to buy XFL for $15M

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

Flashback: The Rock's promo for the LA Xtreme in 2001.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YNoqJK4H8s
XtremeFanForever
Coach

Post by XtremeFanForever »

The logistics of a bubble season seem pretty daunting. You're talking about housing roughly 400 players, plus other team personnel for a 2-3 month season. Yes the NHL and NBA are doing it but:

1. They have a lot more capital than the XFL to pull it off, not to mention an established target TV audience that makes the endeavor obviously worth it.

2. NBA rosters are much smaller and the NHL has two bubble cities, so each bubble is only needing to accommodate about 275 players (plus team employees).

3. They're only hosting for the playoffs, so the number of people they need to accommodate will get progressively smaller as the weeks pass.

I could see this working only if they're planning to bring back 4-6 teams, or if they have two bubbles. So basically we're just talking about a mini-season to help get the league back off the ground. Maybe just play 7 weeks, each team playing 6 games (2 vs. each divisional opponent) then a championship game.
RIP Xtreme; forever champions

RIP Wildcats; forever 2-3
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

XtremeFanForever wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:02 pm The logistics of a bubble season seem pretty daunting. You're talking about housing roughly 400 players, plus other team personnel for a 2-3 month season. Yes the NHL and NBA are doing it but:

1. They have a lot more capital than the XFL to pull it off, not to mention an established target TV audience that makes the endeavor obviously worth it.

2. NBA rosters are much smaller and the NHL has two bubble cities, so each bubble is only needing to accommodate about 275 players (plus team employees).

3. They're only hosting for the playoffs, so the number of people they need to accommodate will get progressively smaller as the weeks pass.
I think those are all valid concerns.
@gregmparks
4th&long
MVP

Re: Sportico: RedBird Capital and the Rock buy XFL for $15M

Post by 4th&long »

GregParks wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:33 am
GregParks wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:07 am I didn't know you could buy something before a bankruptcy auction. So I learned something today.
Turns out this happened because The Rock’s was the only bid.
No Sh#t. This is why Hayes pushing VM to the curb (as stated in previous posts) was the dumbest move ever. Even the Networks said he was instrumental to on going deals. Big mistake by Hayes and others.
Regular Joe
Quarterback

Post by Regular Joe »

the rock has a show on NBC right now. he could probably walk down the hall.

(hey....it says 2021)

https://www.xfl.com/en-US/teams/tampa-bay/tickets
free dj mix download. all punk & hardcore. party tape. more cuss words then any hip hop mixtape. https://soundcloud.com/some-guy-2492895 Click on 'More' and download. dont forget both sides.
sergeantcline_vdf
Kicker

Re: Sportico: RedBird Capital and the Rock buy XFL for $15M

Post by sergeantcline_vdf »

Firecop wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:38 am Is it me or does 15M seem really cheap? Go Dragobs!
Well as it was reported that there was only one
Qualified bid out of the 30 people who sigh a NDA so if there’s was more bids it would be higher but hell rock is going make bank on this #fullcircle
Sounder
Coach

Post by Sounder »

I'd like to think that the Rock's continued association with WWE would suggest that Vince could still somehow be involved. But one think about Dwayne.....this isn't simply a passion play for him..... he sees something in this.....so I'm sure we'll see something.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

They have to house the players either way. There's no doubt it's daunting, but so is running a league like this under normal circumstances. A bubble makes some things easier and some things harder.

Agreed that two bubbles or reducing teams could make sense. But if you're reducing teams, you're sort of burning the bridge to that market. So you need to be sure you're not coming back to Tampa and Dallas, for example.

The big concern is the cash flow. Long term, the television revenue is what makes this whole gamble worthwhile, but if they're operating under the terms of 2020, the league isn't making anything on the broadcasts. So without ticket revenue, what does that leave? Merchandise, on field sponsors?
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

Here's the latest from ESPN's Kevin Seifert, with quotes from Dany Garcia:

https://www.espn.com/xfl/story/_/id/295 ... 021-season

Key takeaways for me:
-Oliver Luck unlikely to return (not a quote from Garcia, but an aside from Seifert)
-They are open to rehiring other executives who were fired in April when the league shut down
-Many if not all of the innovations the XFL created will stay, though Garcia aims to make access more "elegant." She looks at this as an opportunity to take what's already done and ask "how can we make this even better?"
-The bubble plan created by XFL 2.0 is part of the IP purchased by Garcia/Johnson, so they have that to use if they so choose.
-According to a former staffer, less than 10% of the XFL's workforce have found permanent new jobs. But some were rankled by Pollack's "Hollywood ending" quote about the XFL sale, as it obviously isn't a Hollywood ending (yet) for those who were fired
-Unsecured creditors have filed an objection to the sale, part of which is speculation that Vince McMahon's previous relationship with Johnson means he's somehow involved in this purchase.
@gregmparks
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

Very exciting that Garcia liked the original vision.

Sorry to hear that some former employees were put off. I don't think that's a fair way to interpret what Pollack said, but that's a lot easier for me to say from the outside.

Still sounds like we're not in the clear until 8/7.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion