XFL Bankruptcy Thread

XFL Football discussion.
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Re: XFL Bankruptcy Thread

Post by GregParks »

Former St. Louis president Kurt Hunzeker was on ESPN Radio in St. Louis, and though he claimed to have little more inside knowledge than what is public, he did drop this quote in the context of the XFL's bankruptcy:

"At some point - it will likely be in 2021 - pro football will return to St. Louis."

That was vague enough to where he could be talking about ANOTHER league, but I don't see how that'd be the case. I believe in the immediate aftermath of the XFL's bankruptcy, he Tweeted that he doubted the XFL would ever return - so this is a 180. You have to wonder if those ready to put in a bid have perhaps been in contact with him to return as St. Louis team president, given the success he had in that role this year (if bidders are even allowed to do that).
@gregmparks
MarkNelson
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MarkNelson »

Bidders may be talking to Hunzeker, but I am sure there is no league official saying anything. They are very tight-lipped, and they have to be in order to keep the auction fair and equitable.

One thing I thought of when he said "returning to St. Louis" is the notion that the XFL is packaging the league as being ready to play a 2021 season in a "Houston bubble," meaning a BattleHawks team wouldn't be playing in St. Louis after all.

Of course, anything can happen. The bottom line is Hunzeker seems to be positive about the future. Can we take that as a good sign?
UFLBoard: https://uflboard.com/news/author/mnelson/
Author: “XFL 2020: Rise and Fall” https://xfl2020book.com
Coming soon: “XFL 2023: Rise”
Favourite Leagues: XFL and CFL | Fan of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

MarkNelson wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:15 pm One thing I thought of when he said "returning to St. Louis" is the notion that the XFL is packaging the league as being ready to play a 2021 season in a "Houston bubble," meaning a BattleHawks team wouldn't be playing in St. Louis after all.
I noticed that too - it may have been Hunzeker just not being careful with his wording. The team may not be playing IN St. Louis in 2021, but St. Louis still may have a team in 2021. That's how I took it, unless he knows something we don't or is just being optimistic about getting fans in the stands in February.
@gregmparks
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

GregParks wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:07 pm
MarkNelson wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:15 pm One thing I thought of when he said "returning to St. Louis" is the notion that the XFL is packaging the league as being ready to play a 2021 season in a "Houston bubble," meaning a BattleHawks team wouldn't be playing in St. Louis after all.
I noticed that too - it may have been Hunzeker just not being careful with his wording. The team may not be playing IN St. Louis in 2021, but St. Louis still may have a team in 2021. That's how I took it, unless he knows something we don't or is just being optimistic about getting fans in the stands in February.
Remember, as part of the bankruptcy they do plan on honoring the leases in Seattle, St. Louis and Houston.

I've looked up the COVID charts and right now the hotspots are starting to trend downward in terms of new cases (the mask regulations/bar closures seem to be working—a sign that the hard lockdown may have never been necessary).
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

https://xflnewshub.com/xfl-news/fox-wor ... agreement/

FOX has made a similar statement through the bankruptcy proceeding as ESPN, in that while they are interested in working with the potential new owners of the league, the previous agreement with the old regime seems to not be a part of the assets to be bid on and will need to be renegotiated. The previous agreement seemed very favorable to the networks so I'm not sure what part of the contract FOX wants to get out from under - the number of games per week? Paying production costs? The length of the deal? Or perhaps this is par for the course in bankruptcy proceedings and they want to err on the side of caution depending on who the new owners will be.
@gregmparks
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

GregParks wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:45 am https://xflnewshub.com/xfl-news/fox-wor ... agreement/

FOX has made a similar statement through the bankruptcy proceeding as ESPN, in that while they are interested in working with the potential new owners of the league, the previous agreement with the old regime seems to not be a part of the assets to be bid on and will need to be renegotiated. The previous agreement seemed very favorable to the networks so I'm not sure what part of the contract FOX wants to get out from under - the number of games per week? Paying production costs? The length of the deal? Or perhaps this is par for the course in bankruptcy proceedings and they want to err on the side of caution depending on who the new owners will be.
Fox does not want to be tied down to a new organization same as ESPN. They made a deal with VM with OL in charge and a clear funding mandate (obviously pre China-covid). So its understandable that they would want to re-evaluate any TV relationship based on a chg in ownership following a bankruptcy.

When Old Fox sold a chunk of its assets to Disney a couple years ago the plan for the slimmed down New Fox was #1 live sports, and News and reality TV. That was their programming plans. So XFL fits in well. But as stated above its a wait and see what happens to XFL 3.0.
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

GregParks wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:01 am

It'll also make a difference if teams can only take 80 players to camp rather than 90; an announcement on that is supposed to be made tomorrow. That's 320 players who won't even get an opportunity with a team.
Roster numbers were clarified today in the agreement reached between the NFL and NFLPA. Per ProFootballNetwork's Tony Pauline:

"The NFL is giving teams an option to cut down to 80 players by August 14 or go with a split-squad then cut draft picks/UDFA’s earlier than August 14. As of right now, it is at the team’s discretion. The NFLPA deferred to the league and allowed them to do whatever they wanted on this issue."

So no matter which tact teams choose, the cutdown is made to 80 by August 14. Unfortunately for bottom-of-the-roster guys, unpadded practices won't start until August 12, so they may only get two of those practices in, with no padded practices at all (padded practices may begin August 17).

Also of note: "Free agents who travel for a try-out during the season will be required to have two negative tests during a 24 hour period. They will not be subject to the present four-day testing schedule. As of now, the league has not opened up tryouts for available free agents."

The tryout circuit may not be as active this year, especially because the league has increased the number of practice squad spots to 16.
@gregmparks
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

One thing to think about is that the new owner of the XFL may want to return in 2021, but would be better off returning in 2022 if College football is moved to the spring.
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

GDAWG wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:51 pm One thing to think about is that the new owner of the XFL may want to return in 2021, but would be better off returning in 2022 if College football is moved to the spring.
Right now it's a few FCS and lower division conferences. I don't see why it would be a deterrent unless the league is planned to look essentially the same in 2021 via a vis time slots. They're (the conferences) not gonna be playing on Sunday. The only one that may be in conflict is if the American decides to make the jump (for Houston and Tampa).

But other than that.................
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

MGB01 wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:55 am
GDAWG wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:51 pm One thing to think about is that the new owner of the XFL may want to return in 2021, but would be better off returning in 2022 if College football is moved to the spring.
Right now it's a few FCS and lower division conferences. I don't see why it would be a deterrent unless the league is planned to look essentially the same in 2021 via a vis time slots. They're (the conferences) not gonna be playing on Sunday. The only one that may be in conflict is if the American decides to make the jump (for Houston and Tampa).

But other than that.................
Even though the Power 5 have said conference only for the fall, the NCAA could force those leagues to move their games to the spring, which means the XFL would not return in 2021.