XFL Bankruptcy Thread

XFL Football discussion.
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Re: XFL Bankruptcy Thread

Post by GregParks »

Teams have already begun to cut down to 80 players, Cardinals, Patriots, Titans among them. The Seahawks trimmed their roster, including former LA Wildcats OL Khalil McKenzie. It's going to make it much harder for former XFL players to latch on with teams this summer.
@gregmparks
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

GDAWG wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:34 pm
MGB01 wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:55 am
GDAWG wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:51 pm One thing to think about is that the new owner of the XFL may want to return in 2021, but would be better off returning in 2022 if College football is moved to the spring.
Right now it's a few FCS and lower division conferences. I don't see why it would be a deterrent unless the league is planned to look essentially the same in 2021 via a vis time slots. They're (the conferences) not gonna be playing on Sunday. The only one that may be in conflict is if the American decides to make the jump (for Houston and Tampa).

But other than that.................
Even though the Power 5 have said conference only for the fall, the NCAA could force those leagues to move their games to the spring, which means the XFL would not return in 2021.
CFB in the fall.... It's happening...!

Mostly likely 10 in conf, one out of conf game. And they'll regret losing 2 games but 11 will do.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

4th&long wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:18 pm
MGB01 wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:55 am

Right now it's a few FCS and lower division conferences. I don't see why it would be a deterrent unless the league is planned to look essentially the same in 2021 via a vis time slots. They're (the conferences) not gonna be playing on Sunday. The only one that may be in conflict is if the American decides to make the jump (for Houston and Tampa).

But other than that.................
Even though the Power 5 have said conference only for the fall, the NCAA could force those leagues to move their games to the spring, which means the XFL would not return in 2021.

Mostly likely 10 in conf, one out of conf game. And they'll regret losing 2 games but 11 will do.
Paul Finebaum of ESPN doesn't seem to think College Football is happening in the fall. That affects a possible return of the XFL in 2021 as I doubt the new owners will want to compete with college football in 2021 and would wait for a re-launch in 2022.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

GDAWG wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:39 pm

Paul Finebaum of ESPN doesn't seem to think College Football is happening in the fall. That affects a possible return of the XFL in 2021 as I doubt the new owners will want to compete with college football in 2021 and would wait for a re-launch in 2022.
That's Fine, Paul can think what he wants. But .. nope. Come on, the train has left the station... :shock:
XFLInSTL
Running Back

Post by XFLInSTL »

4th&long wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:15 pm

That's Fine, Paul can think what he wants. But .. nope. Come on, the train has left the station... :shock:
We'll either see a shortened season or quite possibly a spring season. As was already noted, the P5 conferences have determined an only conference schedule, which will hopefully reduce the risk of travel for players, coaches, etc. That said, I don't see how a season could be effectively executed while COVID is still in the state that it is now, and since football is such a high revenue sport, we could see the closings of some lower tier or maybe even D1 schools.
St. Louis Battlehawks
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

XFLInSTL wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:37 am
4th&long wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:15 pm

We'll either see a shortened season or quite possibly a spring season. As was already noted, the P5 conferences have determined an only conference schedule, which will hopefully reduce the risk of travel for players, coaches, etc. That said, I don't see how a season could be effectively executed while COVID is still in the state that it is now, and since football is such a high revenue sport, we could see the closings of some lower tier or maybe even D1 schools.
I'm only reading Pac12 and Big 10 have done that..... not all the P5. China-Covid looks to have peaked in the 4 'spike' states so will be less and issue in a few weeks. With under 25yo's the virus isn't a big issue, if they all get it and over it by Sept they'll be less issues. Coaches etc diff story.
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

SEC and ACC will likely do the "+1" thing cause of the four in-state rivalries, that leaves Big XII. As the smallest P5 conf, and the only that has full round-robin, they might do the same (i.e. Texas/LSU)
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

I do think College football (all of it) will move to the spring, affecting a possible XFL return in 2021. If I am the new owner of the XFL, I would consider returning in 2022. Things will be back to normal by then. The only way I see the XFL returning in 2021 even if college football moves to the spring is if they do the supposed "XFL Tournament" a week after college football ends. Like if College football goes from April to June/July, the XFL could do a tournament of 3-4 weeks before the 2021 NFL Season starts.
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

The Athletic's Daniel Kaplan has a story covering the request by ESPN and FOX to not have their deals with the XFL as part of the bankruptcy sale:

https://theathletic.com/1957668/2020/07 ... ast-deals/ (subscription required)

While both FOX and ESPN had been categorized by others as willing to renegotiate their TV deal with the new buyers, Kaplan's story casts doubt on ESPN's desire to do so. Namely because, taken from ESPN's court filing objecting to its contract being included in the bankruptcy, they partnered with the XFL largely because of Vince McMahon:

“The image and ultimate success of the XFL are heavily linked to the efforts, resources, and reputation of Vincent McMahon. If Vincent McMahon and his team of professionals are not running the XFL enterprise, then a key consideration for the Telecast Agreement … has disappeared, and ESPN cannot be compelled to join in a partnership with an assignee absent ESPN’s express consent. “

Also:

“The content that ESPN chooses to broadcast is not fungible; its character and quality is directly related to the team of professionals that is producing that content. This is especially so when dealing with content being created by an entirely new enterprise (as opposed to content that is part of a well-established program and production enterprise)…. If Vincent McMahon is not part of the enterprise, then a key consideration for the contracts has disappeared.”

Kaplan termed this as being "little chance" of a new contract being made between ESPN and the league with new buyers. On the good news front, while many contracts held by the league, including those of sponsorships, are slated to carry over in the bankruptcy, FOX and ESPN were the only ones to file objections.

tl;dr: Kaplan not as confident on the idea of ESPN re-upping with the league's potential new owners as we've been led to believe
@gregmparks
laxtreme56
Coach

Post by laxtreme56 »

Well that isn't the best of news. Firstly, it may be safe to say Disney is out of the running if ESPN openly proclaims they are through with the XFL. Fox is also looking to renegotiate their contract which covered production to the cost of $400k per game. This leads me to believe Fox will air games, but only as a time buy akin to the AFL and early days of MLS. Don't expect a set schedule, much promotion, and the majority of games most likely relegated to FS1 and FS2. With this news coming in, expect the XFL to sell for considerably less than imagined.