Fans will be back in the stands

XFL Football discussion.
Metallifreak10
Running Back

Re: Fans will be back in the stands

Post by Metallifreak10 »

The virus won’t be an issue anymore until we build herd immunity by vaccine or by massive infections. A vaccine may never come.

In NYC, the numbers continue to decline despite people being out and about there. I suspect it’s because they’ve had such a high infection rate that the virus is running out of vectors to run through. Now, no one would want a NYC on our hands for the whole country, but keep in mind on a per capita basis, the UK, Spain, Italy, and France all have death rates higher than the US.

We are also very liberal with the way we count deaths here in the states. I’ve now known of two people who had stage four cancer and were in hospice that the cause of death ended up being COVID. I know of another person Who had pneumonia and tested negative for COVID twice while in the ICU and the cause of death still came back as COVID. So yes, I believe we are over counting by 25% or so.

If COVID ends up mutating for the worst, Herd immunity probably won’t be achieved through mass infections(just results in a lot of dead for nothing). It would be hard to achieve it through vaccinations even.

You are damned if you do, damned if you don’t. You can’t stay locked down forever. That wasn’t even what the lockdowns were for. They were to flatten the curve to build up hospital capacity. At my wife’s hospital they increased ICU capacity by 30%. COVID patients in the ICU peaked at 40 in April. When she came off of furlough 3 weeks ago it was 14. Last week it was 10. This week it’s 8. The ICU is at about 65% capacity(around 65/100 beds), plus they have the 30ish beds of flexible ICU beds that they added in April as backup. Cases in Illinois are up 25% over the last few weeks, and our hospitalizations have slightly risen 5-10%, but our ICU COVID patients have dropped off by 10%. At her hospital, most New patients go to med surge and are discharged in 3-6 days. Quite a few of them are younger people.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

Metallifreak10 wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:24 pm The virus won’t be an issue anymore until we build herd immunity by vaccine or by massive infections. A vaccine may never come.

In NYC, the numbers continue to decline despite people being out and about there. I suspect it’s because they’ve had such a high infection rate that the virus is running out of vectors to run through. Now, no one would want a NYC on our hands for the whole country, but keep in mind on a per capita basis, the UK, Spain, Italy, and France all have death rates higher than the US.

We are also very liberal with the way we count deaths here in the states. I’ve now known of two people who had stage four cancer and were in hospice that the cause of death ended up being COVID. I know of another person Who had pneumonia and tested negative for COVID twice while in the ICU and the cause of death still came back as COVID. So yes, I believe we are over counting by 25% or so.

If COVID ends up mutating for the worst, Herd immunity probably won’t be achieved through mass infections(just results in a lot of dead for nothing). It would be hard to achieve it through vaccinations even.

You are damned if you do, damned if you don’t. You can’t stay locked down forever. That wasn’t even what the lockdowns were for. They were to flatten the curve to build up hospital capacity. At my wife’s hospital they increased ICU capacity by 30%. COVID patients in the ICU peaked at 40 in April. When she came off of furlough 3 weeks ago it was 14. Last week it was 10. This week it’s 8. The ICU is at about 65% capacity(around 65/100 beds), plus they have the 30ish beds of flexible ICU beds that they added in April as backup. Cases in Illinois are up 25% over the last few weeks, and our hospitalizations have slightly risen 5-10%, but our ICU COVID patients have dropped off by 10%. At her hospital, most New patients go to med surge and are discharged in 3-6 days. Quite a few of them are younger people.
There are financial incentives to list cases going back to Jan:
https://www.hfma.org/topics/news/2020/0 ... ck-to.html

so no surprise they test everyone for it and even if it is not directly related to the Hosp visit they'll say so. It's a scam, but legal.
Tanker_54
Linebacker

Post by Tanker_54 »

Yeah, that's just a different approach: the US funds hospitals with COVID cases so every possible person gets tested, while Western European countries just do little tests and don't update their numbers for a while, constantly reinvent new ways to count them (such as not including non-symptomatic cases), and it both cases, the actual situation is misrepresented...