Fans will be back in the stands

XFL Football discussion.
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Fans will be back in the stands

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

A good sign: NASCAR is letting up to 5000 people watch an upcoming race at Talladega.

https://nascar.nbcsports.com/2020/06/09 ... -cup-race/

Which means—barring any outbreaks being tied to it—other outdoor sports will likely be allowed to return to the same.
GDAWG
MVP

Re: Fans will be back in the stands

Post by GDAWG »

Nobody cares about Covid-19 anymore. The protests are proof of that.
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

GDAWG wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:50 pm Nobody cares about Covid-19 anymore. The protests are proof of that.
Well, Fauci and a few germaphobic epidemiologists still care, that much is certain. But the vast majority of people who were pushing this in April and early May have moved on—including Andrew Cuomo (and New York is well on its way out with infection rates now below Florida and Texas).

Eventually the conversation is going to have to shift to "how can we coexist with this virus?" The narrative, without a doubt, has shifted. We're now finding out that the one COVID-positive person who attended that oft-maligned party in the Lake of the Ozarks infected... nobody. The superspreader events are happening in confined spaces. Prisons, meatpacking plants, nursing homes.
Metallifreak10
Running Back

Post by Metallifreak10 »

johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:05 pm
GDAWG wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:50 pm Nobody cares about Covid-19 anymore. The protests are proof of that.
Well, Fauci and a few germaphobic epidemiologists still care, that much is certain. But the vast majority of people who were pushing this in April and early May have moved on—including Andrew Cuomo (and New York is well on its way out with infection rates now below Florida and Texas).

Eventually the conversation is going to have to shift to "how can we coexist with this virus?" The narrative, without a doubt, has shifted. We're now finding out that the one COVID-positive person who attended that oft-maligned party in the Lake of the Ozarks infected... nobody. The superspreader events are happening in confined spaces. Prisons, meatpacking plants, nursing homes.
It’s good to finally see some fans allowed to attend an outdoor Sporting event. And it doesn’t surprise me that the person who tested positive for COVID didn’t spread it to anyone outdoors in warm weather at Lake of The Ozarks. I’ve been saying that say you dropped 300 asymptomatic COVID individuals into a crowd of 30,000 at an outdoor baseball game in July, I’d be surprised if there were more than a few dozen cases directly infected by those people at the game. You’d have to be in close proximity spit talking to each other for quite awhile.

Allowing stadiums to fill to 25% capacity for outdoor sporting events poses very minimal risk.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

Wuhan virus got politicized when after 'flattening the curve' the goal posts kept moving. Dem governors saw this as a way to push "mail in voting' and even hurt the economy for political gain perhaps? PA has been in draconian lockdown more than even NJ and NY ( or about to) and Gov Sheep (Wolf) has gotten battered by not only Republicans in state legislature but his own party.
And FauXi over played his 15 min of fame.

Economy needs to get get to work!

Now as GDAWG clearly stated above - NOBODY cares about Covid anymore - The protest are proof of that.

Cases may go up but fatalities won't as NY, NJ, PA etc have already wiped out their Nursing homes. Treatments are getting better, Hydrochoroquine is safe again (already in use for 6 decades safely what a shock). Remdesivre and other drugs and techniques are rapidly improving. The virus is reportedly mutating to a less virulent strain (easier to spread itself).

Blah Blah.... You get the point

Fans in Stands is coming soon.... Now politicizing sports..... that's a diff story.
Sounder
Coach

Post by Sounder »

It's not something you can "move on" from just because it's not the "flavor of the month" headline anymore. Although....I do agree we'll have to go on with life with it still having a presence. We're going to have to find a way to coexist with it like you say. Just like the situation with George Floyd and the much deeper issues and social reforms that need to happen. Sooner or later, it will no longer be the top headline. But it shouldn't be something that people will "move on" from. That's been part of the problem.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

Thing is you cant put the Genie back in the bottle.

Once the media flipped to covid bad to covid ok during the protest (for political reasons) they lost the narrative. Now they are trying to fool everyone into hysteria again. The saying goes... fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.

Clearly the impact is greater with age and in facilities or building with senior people. Focus there has been improved dramatically. Treatments and techniques are improving daily and death rates are dropping. Evidence is also pointing towards the virus mutating to be less virulent. Keep in mind we have a flue vaccine and we still had 61k deaths in 2017-18 flu season. We'll continue to be prudent and limit risk but the fear is fading.

Bottomline is Under 50 crowd is not staying locked up.
ManOnTheMoon
Kicker

Post by ManOnTheMoon »

Me and my family will be one of the first people in the stands when the XFL returns.
Sounder
Coach

Post by Sounder »

I want to make one thing perfectly clear in regard to this statement: It doesn't matter whether you "care" about it anymore or not. If you going out, just take care of yourselves and remain vigilant. I'm not trying to support any political sides by saying that. Making this into a debate as to whether it exist or not is kind of counterproductive to seeing that the country gets back to where our normal lives can resume. I'm seeing too much of people not taking this seriously enough and becoming careless. That is only going to prolong the situation and perhaps inviting that "second wave" of infections to take hold and set us all back to square one. Call me paranoid if you like, but we have to do what it takes. At the pace things are going now, I'm doubtful even the NFL is playing this season.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

Sounder wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:22 pm
I want to make one thing perfectly clear in regard to this statement: It doesn't matter whether you "care" about it anymore or not. If you going out, just take care of yourselves and remain vigilant. I'm not trying to support any political sides by saying that. Making this into a debate as to whether it exist or not is kind of counterproductive to seeing that the country gets back to where our normal lives can resume. I'm seeing too much of people not taking this seriously enough and becoming careless. That is only going to prolong the situation and perhaps inviting that "second wave" of infections to take hold and set us all back to square one. Call me paranoid if you like, but we have to do what it takes. At the pace things are going now, I'm doubtful even the NFL is playing this season.
depends on your age... 30 yes you are - 60 likely you are being prudent.

NFL can play in empty stadiums - the only sport that really can. But even they say it will cost them $3billion in rev. Of course the wildcard there is if things happen and tv ratings go like 2016. Hopefully a win-win scenario prevails or similar.