XFL Football discussion.
XtremeFanForever
Coach

Oliver Luck sues Vince McMahon

Post by XtremeFanForever »

Welp.
https://theathletic.com/1763214/2020/04 ... e-mcmahon/

Behind a paywall so I don't know the full story, but found this bit:
Luck’s complaint is heavily redacted to protect confidential contract information. But what it does say is, “Despite fulfilling his obligations as Commissioner and CEO since May 30, 2018, Mr. Luck was wrongfully terminated by Alpha Entertainment LLC (“Alpha”), an affiliate of Defendant, on April 9, 2020. Thus, Alpha has repudiated Mr. Luck’s employment agreement. Mr. Luck brings this action for breach of contract and declaratory judgment against McMahon.”
RIP Xtreme; forever champions

RIP Wildcats; forever 2-3
MGB01
MVP

Re: Oliver Luck sues Vince McMahon

Post by MGB01 »

Sounds like the wheels in fact were in motion, would explain why Pollack was the only one talking on 4/10 though.

It's not like Ollie would exactly be riding the high seas at the NCAA right now.
XtremeFanForever
Coach

More:

https://www.actionnetwork.com/xfl/xfl-o ... rrenrovell

This explains why Luck wasn't a creditor in the bankruptcy filing.

4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

XtremeFanForever wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:08 pm Welp.
https://theathletic.com/1763214/2020/04 ... e-mcmahon/

Behind a paywall so I don't know the full story, but found this bit:
Luck’s complaint is heavily redacted to protect confidential contract information. But what it does say is, “Despite fulfilling his obligations as Commissioner and CEO since May 30, 2018, Mr. Luck was wrongfully terminated by Alpha Entertainment LLC (“Alpha”), an affiliate of Defendant, on April 9, 2020. Thus, Alpha has repudiated Mr. Luck’s employment agreement. Mr. Luck brings this action for breach of contract and declaratory judgment against McMahon.”
Some clarity. Suing VM not XFL. Gool (oliver) Luck with that.

https://larrybrownsports.com/football/f ... hon/547268

Is this the reason why VM is done? He wasn't going to pay OL for 2 years while the XFL sat out?

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... e-mcmahon/

Recall that it was OL that talked VM out of playing w/e of 3/14 which could have seen monster ratings with other sports shut down. And it was OL who said everyone should get paid for a full season despite working only half. Its easy to spend other's money. The XFL burned through a TON of money for no benefit and even if the split the diff ie paid thru March they'd have saved likely $20-30mm (paid thru 8 games no playoffs). That may have cost the league any chance of returning. I didnt really agree that paying people for not playing made sense (plus entire org).

Don't get me wrong I like OL but that was not a good move IMO.

If his contract did not allow exit clause due to unforseen Pandemics etc, Chapter 11 may have been the way to go. Any monies invested to keep it afloat would have gone to OL. I don't think OL will receive a dime.He likely got paid through the season and he wanted full comp while XFL was on Hiatus.

XFL should have paid everyone through March (still a nice 3 game gesture) and if OL just quit than XFL may have had funds to avoid Bankruptcy.

Unless it was in a contract with or guaranteed by VM himself - good luck. OL should sue China too. The ChiComs cost him lots of money.
Last edited by 4th&long on Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarkNelson
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MarkNelson »

I am ashamed that I wrote an article that said Vince McMahon always pays his bills.
UFLBoard: https://uflboard.com/news/author/mnelson/
Author: “XFL 2020: Rise and Fall” https://xfl2020book.com
Coming soon: “XFL 2023: Rise”
Favourite Leagues: XFL and CFL | Fan of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

MarkNelson wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:17 pm I am ashamed that I wrote an article that said Vince McMahon always pays his bills.
Come on who pays a guy 5 years for 2 years work. Its called Out-Of-Business.

The OL contract was with XFL (Alpha) not VM, no one is paying that.

If he got paid for work thru 4/9 like everyone else - that's what he deserves. That's what Chapter 11 is about.

Going out of biz sux - for all. By saying its for "cause" the XFL gets any proceeds from the sale of assets and that could be used for other creditors or revive the league. If OL is losses the VM case he could sue XFL for firing over "cause" and be listed as a creditor which would then go to Chap 11 for relief like all the coaches. And likely be removed.

ALSO:
https://www.actionnetwork.com/xfl/xfl-o ... ren-rovell

>> Luck, as well as other top executives, were missing from the XFL’s bankruptcy filing on April 13. Luck’s suit notes that he was never listed as a creditor because Alpha Entertainment, McMahon’s entity, filed to reject many executive contracts at the same time as filing their petition.

Sources say the bankruptcy court approved the rejecting of those contracts, which meant that Luck’s only recourse was to sue McMahon.

“The to-be-expected motion to dismiss from McMahon and the response will be interesting from a legal perspective,” said Darren Heitner, sports lawyer and founder of Heitner Legal. “Luck’s contract was not with McMahon personally. Will the court be convinced that McMahon’s pledge to provide his own money adds personal liability? Seems to be a stretch.”

Former XFL coaches Bob Stoops ($1.083 million), Marc Trestman ($777,777), the Jonathan Hayes ($633,333) and others ($583,333 each) were listed as creditors in the XFL’s bankruptcy filing.

When reached by The Action Network, Luck’s attorney Paul Dobrowski declined comment. <<
Joker
Quarterback

Post by Joker »

I think it's hilarious how people always stick up for Vince McMahon, no matter what!
Fan of the XFL from the beginning. You may remember me from the original XFLboard.
nick1091
Running Back

Post by nick1091 »

4th&long wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:37 pm
MarkNelson wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:17 pm I am ashamed that I wrote an article that said Vince McMahon always pays his bills.
It's called guaranteed contract. Head Coaches and GMs get fired and received "go away money," all the time and get paid out for the years they didn't work unless the contract contains offsets.

Really, this is all speculation until the cause XFL/Alpha stipulated was the reason for termination (and whether which causes are acceptable was defined in the contract) is revealed. The timing of doing so right before they filed thus avoiding who would become their biggest creditor than just about all others is curious, but I'm willing to hear the facts first.

I'm guessing Luck is just going after VKM personally to try to jump the bankruptcy creditors line as opposed to ending up with the rank and file and likely collecting pennies on the dollar. Seems unlikely but he may be going after some quick cash to go away.
XtremeFanForever
Coach

nick1091 wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:49 pm I'm guessing Luck is just going after VKM personally to try to jump the bankruptcy creditors line as opposed to ending up with the rank and file and likely collecting pennies on the dollar. Seems unlikely but he may be going after some quick cash to go away.
No, this is the problem. Luck gets nothing from bankruptcy because he isn't listed as a creditor at all. The coaches at least were allowed to keep their contracts. Luck's was terminated. Suing is literally his only option to get paid anything.

4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

nick1091 wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:49 pm
4th&long wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:37 pm
It's called guaranteed contract. Head Coaches and GMs get fired and received "go away money," all the time and get paid out for the years they didn't work unless the contract contains offsets.

Really, this is all speculation until the cause XFL/Alpha stipulated was the reason for termination (and whether which causes are acceptable was defined in the contract) is revealed. The timing of doing so right before they filed thus avoiding who would become their biggest creditor than just about all others is curious, but I'm willing to hear the facts first.

I'm guessing Luck is just going after VKM personally to try to jump the bankruptcy creditors line as opposed to ending up with the rank and file and likely collecting pennies on the dollar. Seems unlikely but he may be going after some quick cash to go away.
ONLY if its an ongoing business.