Sports Business Journal review of XFL's final days

XFL Football discussion.
XtremeFanForever
Coach

Sports Business Journal review of XFL's final days

Post by XtremeFanForever »

https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/SB- ... QT09In0%3D

Pretty fascinating, and consistent with a lot of what's been reported. Basically, no one outside of McMahon's inner circle knows what happened.
RIP Xtreme; forever champions

RIP Wildcats; forever 2-3
Joker
Quarterback

Re: Sports Business Journal review of XFL's final days

Post by Joker »

Thanks for posting this.

So McMahon basically reneged on his $500 million investment pledge. May be a good business decision, considering the pandemic, but now he will never get the football league he dreamed about.

Thanks for wasting our time Vince!
Fan of the XFL from the beginning. You may remember me from the original XFLboard.
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

Joker wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:50 pm Thanks for posting this.

So McMahon basically reneged on his $500 million investment pledge. May be a good business decision, considering the pandemic, but now he will never get the football league he dreamed about.

Thanks for wasting our time Vince!

Oh please, as if we wouldn't have playoffs starting tomorrow if it wasn't for the pandemic.

I'm gonna say this one more time: REVENUES, where are they coming from the next two years? If the NFL's (and might as well add WWE) pie is getting way smaller, if it even exists, you think that has an effect downwind?

And that isn't even mentioning the kommissars that are hellbent on having cities/states on lockdown for the next year (including one that's supposed to have Wrestlemania in 11 months). So you tell me how this supposed to go.

You wanna be mad at somebody, how about Xi Jinping?
Joker
Quarterback

Post by Joker »

Certainly not "mad." That seems to be your job. I'm just stating facts. Vince committed 500 million, then he didn't. It is probably a good business move, but it is a fact.
Fan of the XFL from the beginning. You may remember me from the original XFLboard.
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

Joker wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:43 pm Certainly not "mad." That seems to be your job. I'm just stating facts. Vince committed 500 million, then he didn't. It is probably a good business move, but it is a fact.
Oh you mean "facts" like this lame 'really?' XFL=AAF? If so you have nothing to say. It's called l'force majeure, look it up.
XtremeFanForever
Coach

Post by XtremeFanForever »

Joker wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:43 pm Certainly not "mad." That seems to be your job. I'm just stating facts. Vince committed 500 million, then he didn't. It is probably a good business move, but it is a fact.
We got Dundon'd.
RIP Xtreme; forever champions

RIP Wildcats; forever 2-3
GoDogs
Running Back

Post by GoDogs »

Vince is a shrewd guy, and this was absolutely a shrewd business move. I think his heart was in it, or why waste his time to begin with (XFL 1.0 was far in the rear view). But it absolutely stinks how his staff and management were the last to know and ultimately treated in the last days. The last interview I could find with O. Luck was on Kenny Robinson, 4 days before it all went down. We were getting rumors of possible teams moving. Then it all shut down. If this was a gut punch to us, the diehards, just imagine his staff. Don’t really see him, seeing the bigger picture FOR them. He kinda lost major points in my book for it.
Sounder
Coach

Post by Sounder »

Vince, like everybody else....just got dropkicked by this....(and maybe a stone cold stunner as well)....realizing that he'll never gain that paying tv deal after this thing hit, and knowing that he'll never be profitable anytime in the near future ....there really wasn't a choice was there? It would now just be throwing good money after bad.....and it was already on a thin declining margin, but an expected and manageable one.....the XFL simply became a covid victim and it's vaccine might come in the form of a visit to Shark Tank to see if you can get Barbara Cocoran interested.
GoDogs
Running Back

Post by GoDogs »

Sounder wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 2:33 pm Vince, like everybody else....just got dropkicked by this....(and maybe a stone cold stunner as well)....realizing that he'll never gain that paying tv deal after this thing hit, and knowing that he'll never be profitable anytime in the near future ....there really wasn't a choice was there? It would now just be throwing good money after bad.....and it was already on a thin declining margin, but an expected and manageable one.....the XFL simply became a covid victim and it's vaccine might come in the form of a visit to Shark Tank to see if you can get Barbara Cocoran interested.
I don’t know, it all went down kinda weird. I really haven’t read anything from O Luck or the coaches (who seemingly are getting a raw deal) post firing. You’d think they’d be more vocal. Something to this degree would ruin any connection in the future with quality coaches, or commissioners ..or was this all planned.

Maybe there’s a back door deal to cut the fat for a while, and bring it back later when the time is right? (after all they did pay all the players, and let them leave immediately to sign with the NFL).

It’s not likely, but I’m hoping this bankruptcy 11 is just that. (Would be cool to see XFL 3.0 with rabid cities/fans from XFL 2.0, XFL 1.0, and the AAF). Guess we’ll see.
SamTheRam28
Quarterback

Post by SamTheRam28 »

GoDogs wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:17 am
Sounder wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 2:33 pm Vince, like everybody else....just got dropkicked by this....(and maybe a stone cold stunner as well)....realizing that he'll never gain that paying tv deal after this thing hit, and knowing that he'll never be profitable anytime in the near future ....there really wasn't a choice was there? It would now just be throwing good money after bad.....and it was already on a thin declining margin, but an expected and manageable one.....the XFL simply became a covid victim and it's vaccine might come in the form of a visit to Shark Tank to see if you can get Barbara Cocoran interested.
I don’t know, it all went down kinda weird. I really haven’t read anything from O Luck or the coaches (who seemingly are getting a raw deal) post firing. You’d think they’d be more vocal. Something to this degree would ruin any connection in the future with quality coaches, or commissioners ..or was this all planned.

Maybe there’s a back door deal to cut the fat for a while, and bring it back later when the time is right? (after all they did pay all the players, and let them leave immediately to sign with the NFL).

It’s not likely, but I’m hoping this bankruptcy 11 is just that. (Would be cool to see XFL 3.0 with rabid cities/fans from XFL 2.0, XFL 1.0, and the AAF). Guess we’ll see.
https://www.thespec.com/sports/hamilton ... udges.html

This article says June Jones and Jerry Glanville have no ill-will towards the XFL.

Jones:
“But the coaches were on two-year contracts and (the debt listed) is for the second year,” Jones told The Spectator. “I got paid in full to the end of our contract for this year and even got vacation pay. He paid his players. He’s a standup guy. The whole league was good for football.”
Glanville:
“I was on a two-year deal but it was written into our contract that if the league ever files bankruptcy, then everything is stopped,” Glanville said from his Tennessee home. “And they filed bankruptcy. My pay stopped and so did my hospitalization (coverage).”

Glanville says he wants to continue coaching, but hasn’t talked to anyone yet about a job. And he insists he’s not angry with the XFL.

“Well, when they terminate you, you don’t bang the drum but I’m not mad at the guy who got it going,” he says. “I’ve never been with a more first-class organization.”
St. Louis BattleHawks