XFL Terminates All Employees

XFL Football discussion.
Hammerpgh
Receiver

Re: XFL Terminates All Employees

Post by Hammerpgh »

That's the worst news!! So sad too hear this and know that the chances of a 2021 return are pretty slim as a result. I loved the XFL and watched all ten games and was looking forward to following it through to the final. The initial noise coming after the season cancellation was positive but this really is a kick in the stomach.
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

Prolific13 wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:43 am Seems to me they made this move for a possible few reasons
1. To Conserve their finances most importantly, they don't need to staff workers for the XFL anymore if they switch to Primary investor of MLFB and Tony Khan. Its like merging and having cutbacks.
2. XFL is no more but will return as a bigger Stronger Stable League uniting with MLFB President/CEO Frank Murtha,Investor Relations Kevin McLenithan & Tony Khan who wants to resurrect the Alliance league so perhaps the XFL teams & AAF teams will return under the banner of MLFB who may be able to attract franchise owners for each team.

At least thats what I want to happen.
That Tony Khan deal was an April Fools' joke, he'll have enough problems trying to keep AEW afloat. Forget MLFB, which is about as legit as the Freedom Football League or the indoor league that tried to copy the UFL.
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

Hammerpgh wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:59 am That's the worst news!! So sad too hear this and know that the chances of a 2021 return are pretty slim as a result. I loved the XFL and watched all ten games and was looking forward to following it through to the final. The initial noise coming after the season cancellation was positive but this really is a kick in the stomach.
This whole virus has been a kick in the stomach for reasons that stretch far beyond just sports... and the absence of a good sporting distraction in the midst of all this hurts even worse.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

MGB01 wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:38 am
Prolific13 wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:43 am Seems to me they made this move for a possible few reasons
1. To Conserve their finances most importantly, they don't need to staff workers for the XFL anymore if they switch to Primary investor of MLFB and Tony Khan. Its like merging and having cutbacks.
2. XFL is no more but will return as a bigger Stronger Stable League uniting with MLFB President/CEO Frank Murtha,Investor Relations Kevin McLenithan & Tony Khan who wants to resurrect the Alliance league so perhaps the XFL teams & AAF teams will return under the banner of MLFB who may be able to attract franchise owners for each team.

At least thats what I want to happen.
That Tony Khan deal was an April Fools' joke, he'll have enough problems trying to keep AEW afloat. Forget MLFB, which is about as legit as the Freedom Football League or the indoor league that tried to copy the UFL.
In January 2020, AEW's TV deal with TNT was extended through 2023, which would keep the promotion solvent. They will lose money from no attendance, there's no doubt about that, but the extension of the TV deal prevents a bankruptcy.
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

TV's one thing though, it was the difference between the USFL losing over $100 mil and over $200 mil. Al Davis ended up nearly crippling the AFL with his own plan--originating from the NBC deal, thus the merger.

Now all that's in relatively good times. All of the big dogs are getting hit from this, whether it's ESPN, WWE, UFC, the NFL (although being in offseason mode, regardless of whether moves are being made or not, might actually save them to a degree). Hard to imagine that a promotion that two years ago only existed in framework doesn't get hit any worse.
Hammerpgh
Receiver

Post by Hammerpgh »

johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:01 pm
Hammerpgh wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:59 am That's the worst news!! So sad too hear this and know that the chances of a 2021 return are pretty slim as a result. I loved the XFL and watched all ten games and was looking forward to following it through to the final. The initial noise coming after the season cancellation was positive but this really is a kick in the stomach.
This whole virus has been a kick in the stomach for reasons that stretch far beyond just sports... and the absence of a good sporting distraction in the midst of all this hurts even worse.
Absolutely.. of course there are so many worse things going on right now but it's still majorly disappointing that this league will likely never resurface. Especially after today's bankruptcy news :cry:
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

The media narrative has shifted, predictably, to 'XFL Longbomb2.0' like COVID doesn't even exist (as if we wouldn't be gearing up for playoffs this weekend if it didn't), starting with the embarrassing Peter King.

You know this is exactly why you have truthers, Dak Prescott and a few others going out and doing whatever, and the spring break stupids because the media has just been horrible throughout, this an example.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

MGB01 wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:45 pm The media narrative has shifted, predictably, to 'XFL Longbomb2.0' like COVID doesn't even exist (as if we wouldn't be gearing up for playoffs this weekend if it didn't), starting with the embarrassing Peter King.

You know this is exactly why you have truthers, Dak Prescott and a few others going out and doing whatever, and the spring break stupids because the media has just been horrible throughout, this an example.

Screw Peter King - wind bag. All these guys got blind sided by Tpm Brady interview with Stern. What they thought brady was thinking vs actual. clueless

Whats he saying about XFL?
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

From his latest FMIA piece:
The Alliance for American Football launched a week after the Super Bowl in 2019, its founders talking of giving the league a legitimate three-year run to see if spring football could work in America.

The XFL launched a week after the Super Bowl in 2020, its founders scoffing at the one-year XFL debacle of 2001, convinced that spring football would work in America.

The AAF, from its opening day, was alive for 50 days and eight game weeks, suspending operations in the middle of its first season.

The XFL, from its opening day, was alive for 30 days and five game weeks, suspending operations in the middle of its first season—though there’s an asterisk here, because the coronavirus was impactful in its demise.

Surely the virus affected the lifespan of the XFL. And though the XFL is likely to cease operations, that announcement has not been made. But the point remains: Two leagues, a year apart, were birthed with the intention of proving spring football, done right, could work. Once they kicked off, they lasted a total of 80 days.
Notice he has to drop in the obligatory "Well you know the WuFlu might have had something to do with it, but............." , it might as well be size 3 font with the rest of it at 12

Sad thing is he used to be good, then I think around the Time Warner merger was when he started going to hell, and now here we are where he's devolved into just another "If it rained overnight the field could be wet" asshat.
Hammerpgh
Receiver

Post by Hammerpgh »

What a jerk-off comment. The XFL was running very nicely before this pandemic kicked everything into touch. I dodn't see much of Peter King over here in the UK but thought he was ok in the bits and pieces i've seen of him, but that snippet throws a whole new light on him right now.

Where was that article published? I'd like to see it in its entirety and make a comment there of its possible.

Cheers