The 2021 XFL Season: Will it happen or not?

XFL Football discussion.
Joker
Quarterback

Re: The 2021 XFL Season: Will it happen or not?

Post by Joker »

Sounds gloomy. I don't see how this affects only the XFL. Is your point that this might make all sports a thing of the past?
Fan of the XFL from the beginning. You may remember me from the original XFLboard.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

Joker wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:49 pm Sounds gloomy. I don't see how this affects only the XFL. Is your point that this might make all sports a thing of the past?
No. It's that if it comes to that point, we might have other things to worry about other than the XFL. I still think that we will have a full season, plus post-season and championship. I say right now that there's an 80% chance of all of that happening. It's that we might also have to face the reality of no XFL in 2021 if this virus is as bad or worse than the Spanish Flu of 100 years ago. If that is the case, I have doubts that the XFL will ever return. Right now, I do think that the XFL will return as how we want it to.
StoneSentry
Running Back

Post by StoneSentry »

Yes. I believe they will be back, and even better than they were this year.
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

StoneSentry wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:53 pm Yes. I believe they will be back, and even better than they were this year.
Might (or as seen below, might not) have to temper those expectations. XFL 2021 could theoretically look like a hypothetical 2002 XFL season that would have aired solely on TNN (which with the Olympics all over NBC would have been a possibility anyway), with UPN pulling their garbage. Mostly ESPN/2/FS1 coverage with some ABC/FOX games when available.

Reason being, I'm quite sure it will be logistically impossible for NCAA fball to start on time. If you opened up every campus back up on Aug 1 you'd still have to have a month or so to get back in biz. So that would put it at Oct 1 but I'd put it later than that, maybe mid October when hoops practice starts (and they're going to be severely screwed).

So this means NCAAFB into February and possibly March (hey March Madness goes gridiron), meaning that Saturdays are out--and I'm not even getting into what that does to the NFL playoffs.

OTOH an XFL starting Feb 14, 2021 and running solely on Sundays for most of the year could benefit from following colleges on Saturday. I mean the traditional Sat/Sun setup isn't the same in basketball as in football. Not that XFL would go this route, but the UFL's highest rated game followed a college tripleheader on Versus in 2010. Granted it was an uber-low bar, but an established cable audience of a million would carry over to Sunday and bump up (besides with the Mountain West now FOX has more options to put on FS1 late Sat night, so it'd never happen)

Whatever it ends up being, season two (three?) just got a whole more interesting in the last month.
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

It's going to happen.

New York, the epicenter of the pandemic, is already nearing its peak according to the governor, and we're less than a month into this. Don't be fooled by the daily increases—there is a whole lot of irregularity in testing and it's weeks behind the actual infections most of the time. Social distancing has cut movement by about 80% and that also cuts infections; even in states without stay-home orders it's been cut at least 50%, with nobody going anywhere on weekends. Most epidemics play out within a few months.

Most of the rest of the country took action before it got as bad as it did in New York, meaning the pandemic isn't going to be as severe there. The only way I see no XFL happening again is if there is a second wave, and even then it is more likely that we'll be prepared and are able to quash it before it gets as bad as it did this time around.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:19 pm It's going to happen.

New York, the epicenter of the pandemic, is already nearing its peak according to the governor, and we're less than a month into this. Don't be fooled by the daily increases—there is a whole lot of irregularity in testing and it's weeks behind the actual infections most of the time. Social distancing has cut movement by about 80% and that also cuts infections; even in states without stay-home orders it's been cut at least 50%, with nobody going anywhere on weekends. Most epidemics play out within a few months.

Most of the rest of the country took action before it got as bad as it did in New York, meaning the pandemic isn't going to be as severe there. The only way I see no XFL happening again is if there is a second wave, and even then it is more likely that we'll be prepared and are able to quash it before it gets as bad as it did this time around.
The thing is the unknown nature of this virus. We don't know how long this will last. That is why there's a chance that there won't be an XFL season in 2021.
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

GDAWG wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:45 pm The thing is the unknown nature of this virus. We don't know how long this will last. That is why there's a chance that there won't be an XFL season in 2021.
There is some amount of unknown factor in this but the models tend to be showing that cases will be eradicated by May. It's not a totally unknown virus; it is closely related to SARS, which was wiped out with similar measures by April and, though there was a brief smaller flareup a couple years later, it was wiped out again and never seen.

If there isn't a seasonal aspect to this virus, that reduces the chance of the dreaded "second wave." I'd say the chances of a second XFL season are very high right now. It may look bleak now but this won't last forever.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:05 am
GDAWG wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:45 pm The thing is the unknown nature of this virus. We don't know how long this will last. That is why there's a chance that there won't be an XFL season in 2021.
There is some amount of unknown factor in this but the models tend to be showing that cases will be eradicated by May. It's not a totally unknown virus; it is closely related to SARS, which was wiped out with similar measures by April and, though there was a brief smaller flareup a couple years later, it was wiped out again and never seen.

If there isn't a seasonal aspect to this virus, that reduces the chance of the dreaded "second wave." I'd say the chances of a second XFL season are very high right now. It may look bleak now but this won't last forever.
Don't get me wrong, I do think that there will be a 2021 XFL season, full post-season and championship. It's the reality of this virus. I say that a full season, post season and championship for XFL is at 70% right now, but that number will fluctuate.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

The season will happen. Procedures will be put in place. Everyday we make progress in multiple areas, medicine, disinfection, med-data, drug testing, etc...

China's non-transparency and disinfo screwed the western world and really whole planet... but it won't last.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »