Possible post season for XFL?

XFL Football discussion.
4th&long
MVP

Re: Possible post season for XFL?

Post by 4th&long »

4th&long wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:30 am
MarkNelson wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:53 pm XFL has officially closed the season, looking forward to 2021.

https://xflboard.com/news/2020/03/20/xf ... -our-fans/

The COVID-19 pandemic, and the most recent local and state regulations, have left the XFL no choice but to officially cancel the remainder of the 2020 season. This decision has been made with the health and safety of the entire XFL family as our top priority.

While we are disappointed to not complete the 2020 season, our hearts are full of appreciation for your overwhelming support.

Your passion, your commitment to your favorite XFL team and your love of football made our season a success beyond our wildest dreams. We’re grateful for the incredible response and look forward to playing full seasons for you — and with you — in 2021 and beyond.

When our teams return to the field, we’ll make every effort to ensure your faith in us is rewarded with even more fun and excitement. Your passion is our purpose, and everything we do, every day and for every season to come, is For the Love of Football.

We hope you will stay connected to our league and team social and digital channels for news, features, and updates along the way.

From all of us at the XFL, be safe, stay healthy, and, again, thank you. Here’s to 2021!

Sincerely,

Oliver Luck
XFL Commissioner + CEO

Jeffrey Pollack
XFL President + COO
At this point its the right thing to do, I didn't see them playing until mid-may (originally hoping 4-19/4-26). I think Mid-may would work with NBA out but its too hard to hold the teams together that long.

It certainly was fun while it lasted, shame they couldn't sneak one more game in but its on to 2021.
I'm going back to my original assessment, now with talk of 2nd or 3rd week of April, which is what I was expecting a full lockdown to be over. If the XFL had maintained the team thru 4/15 (BEFORE deciding) and had a 3 week playoff off or final week, plus 2 week playoff in May, it could have gone no fans and TV only - which makes more sense for FB.

Is what it is at this point and XFL really did kick azz so no way they aren't back in 2021.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

4th&long wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:37 pm
MarkNelson wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:53 pm XFL has officially closed the season, looking forward to 2021.

The COVID-19 pandemic, and the most recent local and state regulations, have left the XFL no choice but to officially cancel the remainder of the 2020 season. This decision has been made with the health and safety of the entire XFL family as our top priority.

While we are disappointed to not complete the 2020 season, our hearts are full of appreciation for your overwhelming support.

Your passion, your commitment to your favorite XFL team and your love of football made our season a success beyond our wildest dreams. We’re grateful for the incredible response and look forward to playing full seasons for you — and with you — in 2021 and beyond.

When our teams return to the field, we’ll make every effort to ensure your faith in us is rewarded with even more fun and excitement. Your passion is our purpose, and everything we do, every day and for every season to come, is For the Love of Football.

We hope you will stay connected to our league and team social and digital channels for news, features, and updates along the way.

From all of us at the XFL, be safe, stay healthy, and, again, thank you. Here’s to 2021!

Sincerely,

Oliver Luck
XFL Commissioner + CEO

Jeffrey Pollack
XFL President + COO
At this point its the right thing to do, I didn't see them playing until mid-may (originally hoping 4-19/4-26). I think Mid-may would work with NBA out but its too hard to hold the teams together that long.

It certainly was fun while it lasted, shame they couldn't sneak one more game in but its on to 2021.
I'm going back to my original assessment, now with talk of 2nd or 3rd week of April, which is what I was expecting a full lockdown to be over. If the XFL had maintained the team thru 4/15 (BEFORE deciding) and had a 3 week playoff off or final week, plus 2 week playoff in May, it could have gone no fans and TV only - which makes more sense for FB.

Is what it is at this point and XFL really did kick azz so no way they aren't back in 2021.
I am optimistic that not only will there be a 2021 XFL season but a post-season and championship game as well. I am not buying the doomsday scenario of 18 months of the way things are right now.
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

GDAWG wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:43 pm I am optimistic that not only will there be a 2021 XFL season but a post-season and championship game as well. I am not buying the doomsday scenario of 18 months of the way things are right now.
At this point, I don't think there will be, just given the way the announcements were worded.

I think most of America will be well on its way toward mending come late April—that is, if these "social distancing" measures actually work as advertised. They started two weeks ago so we need to start seeing a decline in new cases very soon. In New York, the epicenter of the pandemic here in America, new cases have been flat the past two days. (My fear is that it's statistical noise and there's a huge jump today, as was the case in Italy last night... and there was an apparent decline a few days ago that ended up being a mirage.)

If this works, overall cases should peak in two weeks and it would be about a month after that before no new cases, if Wuhan's data is reliable. If not, we did all this for nothing.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:31 am
GDAWG wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:43 pm I am optimistic that not only will there be a 2021 XFL season but a post-season and championship game as well. I am not buying the doomsday scenario of 18 months of the way things are right now.
At this point, I don't think there will be, just given the way the announcements were worded.

I think most of America will be well on its way toward mending come late April—that is, if these "social distancing" measures actually work as advertised. They started two weeks ago so we need to start seeing a decline in new cases very soon. In New York, the epicenter of the pandemic here in America, new cases have been flat the past two days. (My fear is that it's statistical noise and there's a huge jump today, as was the case in Italy last night... and there was an apparent decline a few days ago that ended up being a mirage.)

If this works, overall cases should peak in two weeks and it would be about a month after that before no new cases, if Wuhan's data is reliable. If not, we did all this for nothing.
I would not trust the Chinese as they tend to fudge the numbers in their favor. To me, the numbers that matter are the ones in Europe. If in May, the numbers start to rapidly decline to the point where the number of new cases is in double digits and eventually single digits and then zero for consecutive days and the WHO clears the entire continent, we would not be that far behind, maybe about a few weeks. I think we will be in recovery by June/July. I think April will be the peak. Will it be Italy/Spain type numbers? I doubt it, but we have not reached the peak yet.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

4th&long wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:37 pm

Sincerely,

Oliver Luck
XFL Commissioner + CEO

Jeffrey Pollack
XFL President + COO

Now that we are seeing a real push for things to start opening up in early May (Germany for example is looking to restart April19th), I again say the XFL could have had a 2-3 season ending run in mid-late May.

The XFL could have had 2-3 weeks of action in May all in one city (Houston) and no fans - TV only. Unlike Baseball, Hockey and even the NBA - Football is primarily a TV sport. With only 8 team league (maybe less if just a playoff) they could have pulled this off. The TV exposure would have been huge. People are dying for a diversion.

MLB is even looking at it: https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/coro ... er-report/
And MLB relies on attendance income likely the most.

No other league could better pull this off (only 8 teams) - its a shame. Of course its only a game and right now the focus is on the virus. But I think the league should have kept options open thru 4/20.

There will be a 2021 season, the league proved successful in its short run.