XFL Football discussion.
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Re: Possible post season for XFL?

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

4th&long wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:14 pm
GDAWG wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:04 pm
4th&long wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:53 am

If Europe is under lockdown they will spike and level off as well.
Tell that to the Italians:

https://twitter.com/jimmyfk/status/1238891229775114243
I'm looking at trends from SK and China, based on that Italy growth rate should slow in 3-7 days.
One can hope. Italy's a mess right now; whatever they're doing isn't working. They're at an infection rate of 0.3% of the population—and their patient zero was spotted a full nine days after America's. Wuhan peaked out at about 0.5% before it stopped rising.

People are getting panicked largely because of what's going on in Italy. I don't think it will get as bad here.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

A supposed insider named "Arena/Indoor Football Insider" says that the NBA, NHL, MLB and MLS will return in June. That seems like the most likely month that those league's return.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:05 pm
GDAWG wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:04 pm

Tell that to the Italians:

https://twitter.com/jimmyfk/status/1238891229775114243
I'm looking at trends from SK and China, based on that Italy growth rate should slow in 3-7 days.
One can hope. Italy's a mess right now; whatever they're doing isn't working. They're at an infection rate of 0.3% of the population—and their patient zero was spotted a full nine days after America's. Wuhan peaked out at about 0.5% before it stopped rising.

People are getting panicked largely because of what's going on in Italy. I don't think it will get as bad here.
I think that's .04% or 25,000/60,000,000. Still no joke but off by factor of 10.
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

4th&long wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:53 pm
johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:05 pm

I think that's .04% or 25,000/60,000,000. Still no joke but off by factor of 10.
You're right. I made an error. Wuhan is 55k in 11m... so still an order of magnitude higher.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

CDC has recommended that all sporting venues in the US be closed for 8 weeks, which means May.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

GDAWG wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:42 pm CDC has recommended that all sporting venues in the US be closed for 8 weeks, which means May.
We'll see - that's a longgggg time. Especially if its for TV only and no live audience. They can test players and implement procedures. The country can't halt 100% the economic impact will be huge, while that may sound odd to hear in mid-march, it won't be in a few weeks, if things start coming under control.
Metallifreak10
Running Back

Post by Metallifreak10 »

4th&long wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:03 am
GDAWG wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:42 pm CDC has recommended that all sporting venues in the US be closed for 8 weeks, which means May.
We'll see - that's a longgggg time. Especially if its for TV only and no live audience. They can test players and implement procedures. The country can't halt 100% the economic impact will be huge, while that may sound odd to hear in mid-march, it won't be in a few weeks, if things start coming under control.
Is the CDC referring to sporting events being closed to live crowds for 8 weeks? Or to the sporting events themselves?

I know wrestling isn’t real sports, but it obviously includes body to body contact. WWE already had Smackdown in an empty facility and will continue to do so. I do honestly understand heavy contact to contact sports like Football, etc. Or even close proximity sports like baseball. But, why is Golf being suspended?
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

Metallifreak10 wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:17 am
Is the CDC referring to sporting events being closed to live crowds for 8 weeks? Or to the sporting events themselves?

I know wrestling isn’t real sports, but it obviously includes body to body contact. WWE already had Smackdown in an empty facility and will continue to do so. I do honestly understand heavy contact to contact sports like Football, etc. Or even close proximity sports like baseball. But, why is Golf being suspended?
Several golfers, including Rory McIlroy felt uncomfortable with playing while the other sports postponed.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

Metallifreak10 wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:17 am

Sporting events since they would have over 50 people.
Last edited by GDAWG on Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

CDC says:
Large events and mass gatherings can contribute to the spread of COVID-19 in the United States via travelers who attend these events and introduce the virus to new communities. Examples of large events and mass gatherings include conferences, festivals, parades, concerts, sporting events, weddings, and other types of assemblies. These events can be planned not only by organizations and communities but also by individuals.

Therefore, CDC, in accordance with its guidance for large events and mass gatherings, recommends that for the next 8 weeks, organizers (whether groups or individuals) cancel or postpone in-person events that consist of 50 people or more throughout the United States.

Events of any size should only be continued if they can be carried out with adherence to guidelines for protecting vulnerable populations, hand hygiene, and social distancing. When feasible, organizers could modify events to be virtual.

This recommendation does not apply to the day to day operation of organizations such as schools, institutes of higher learning, or businesses. This recommendation is made in an attempt to reduce introduction of the virus into new communities and to slow the spread of infection in communities already affected by the virus. This recommendation is not intended to supersede the advice of local public health officials.