XFL Football discussion.
4th&long
MVP

Re: Possible post season for XFL?

Post by 4th&long »

GDAWG wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:08 pm
johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:06 pm
GDAWG wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:57 pm

The problem is that we are a month or two behind the rest of the world as far as testing goes to the point where things won't slow down until probably June. There has been zero indication of any slowdown of the virus in Europe and that looks unlikely to be controlled next month and we are at least a month or two behind them and it may not be until May when things slow down for them.

The suspension of seasons and containment from a sports point of view to not to disrupt the upcoming NFL or College seasons. Whether that happens remains to be seen.
Italy's first case was January 30. The lockdowns there began February 21, and they haven't helped much. One must ask, with all the horror stories coming out of Italy, what went wrong there that doesn't seem to be going wrong elsewhere.

America's first case was January 21, a full nine days before Italy's. So something is different about our response, or our country. The hospitals aren't overwhelmed. People in power are scared they might be overwhelmed.

And besides, regardless of how this disease progresses, I don't think the American people are going to be able to tolerate months without any form of public gatherings. It's just not practical. We're social creatures. Eventually, something is going to have to give.
Most cities have suspended public gatherings for only 30 days. Once those 30 days are up, the officials in those cities will re-evalaute to see if those bans will be lifted or extended for another 30 days. If I had to guess, I think it will be the latter, which would take it into Mid May, although I think it won't be until June that the MLB and MLS will return and the NBA and NHL cancel their seasons and get into their respective post seasons.
Also see my post above.... but sports will be back before May. And while I agree cities/states may extend from 30 days, it won't necessarily be for another 30 days it could be 2 weeks or 10 days. Its going to depend on the numbers (cases, recoveries, test kits avail....) Let's all hope/pray for best.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

4th&long wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:17 am
johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:06 pm

Italy's first case was January 30. The lockdowns there began February 21, and they haven't helped much. One must ask, with all the horror stories coming out of Italy, what went wrong there that doesn't seem to be going wrong elsewhere.

America's first case was January 21, a full nine days before Italy's. So something is different about our response, or our country. The hospitals aren't overwhelmed. People in power are scared they might be overwhelmed.

And besides, regardless of how this disease progresses, I don't think the American people are going to be able to tolerate months without any form of public gatherings. It's just not practical. We're social creatures. Eventually, something is going to have to give.
Most cities have suspended public gatherings for only 30 days. Once those 30 days are up, the officials in those cities will re-evalaute to see if those bans will be lifted or extended for another 30 days. If I had to guess, I think it will be the latter, which would take it into Mid May, although I think it won't be until June that the MLB and MLS will return and the NBA and NHL cancel their seasons and get into their respective post seasons.
Also see my post above.... but sports will be back before May. And while I agree cities/states may extend from 30 days, it won't necessarily be for another 30 days it could be 2 weeks or 10 days. Its going to depend on the numbers (cases, recoveries, test kits avail....) Let's all hope/pray for best.
If the number of cases rapidly decreases in the next 30-40 days, there will be sports. The issue though is that Europe probably won't see their numbers decline in April, and we are a month behind Europe in terms of testing. I think realistically, Late May/Early June is when we are going to see the numbers die down. Many sports fans like myself hope it doesn't cause issues with the NFL season as it has with XFL, MLB, NBA, NHL and MLS.

The Olympics and NFL seasons will be telling. If the virus disappears by the time Olympics kick off, it means we got through that. There's always a chance that the virus will force the postponement of the Olympics and the NFL and College Football seasons, but that would mean that the virus is a bad as the Spanish Flu from 100 years ago. Let's hope it doesn't come to that and I don't think it will.

For there to be sports though, all XFL, MLB, NBA, NHL and MLS cities will need to see the number of cases die down and those cities cleared of the virus.
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

A little perspective here: keep in mind that in the early stages of a pandemic, exponential growth is common, but then people run out of others, both because they withdraw when sick and because human social circles are inherently limited.
https://www.calcalistech.com/ctech/arti ... 32,00.html

Plus, there's an incredible amount of awareness. Those coming from overseas or areas of known outbreaks are generally smart enough to withdraw for a while, regardless of whether they know they're infected or not. Or at least I'd hope.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:22 am A little perspective here: keep in mind that in the early stages of a pandemic, exponential growth is common, but then people run out of others, both because they withdraw when sick and because human social circles are inherently limited.
https://www.calcalistech.com/ctech/arti ... 32,00.html

Plus, there's an incredible amount of awareness. Those coming from overseas or areas of known outbreaks are generally smart enough to withdraw for a while, regardless of whether they know they're infected or not. Or at least I'd hope.
Agreed. And it will steady quickly now (after a 14 day period), but it will spike in that 14 days.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

GDAWG wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:59 am

If the number of cases rapidly decreases in the next 30-40 days, there will be sports. The issue though is that Europe probably won't see their numbers decline in April, and we are a month behind Europe in terms of testing. I think realistically, Late May/Early June is when we are going to see the numbers die down. Many sports fans like myself hope it doesn't cause issues with the NFL season as it has with XFL, MLB, NBA, NHL and MLS.

The Olympics and NFL seasons will be telling. If the virus disappears by the time Olympics kick off, it means we got through that. There's always a chance that the virus will force the postponement of the Olympics and the NFL and College Football seasons, but that would mean that the virus is a bad as the Spanish Flu from 100 years ago. Let's hope it doesn't come to that and I don't think it will.

For there to be sports though, all XFL, MLB, NBA, NHL and MLS cities will need to see the number of cases die down and those cities cleared of the virus.
If Europe is under lockdown they will spike and level off as well.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

4th&long wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:53 am

Tell that to the Italians:

https://twitter.com/jimmyfk/status/1238891229775114243
Metallifreak10
Running Back

Post by Metallifreak10 »

Italy’s outbreak is exacerbated by their poor healthcare system. I’m sure many are ignoring what the Italian government is telling them, but the far majority aren’t traveling. Normal travel spots have seen very significant reduction in tourism. And that was as of like a week ago.
MarkNelson
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MarkNelson »

I think XFL playoffs are not off the table. But, it would take a miracle for this to happen. :(
UFLBoard: https://uflboard.com/news/author/mnelson/
Author: “XFL 2020: Rise and Fall” https://xfl2020book.com
Coming soon: “XFL 2023: Rise”
Favourite Leagues: XFL and CFL | Fan of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

GDAWG wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:04 pm

I'm looking at trends from SK and China, based on that Italy growth rate should slow in 3-7 days.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

4th&long wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:14 pm
GDAWG wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:04 pm

I'm looking at trends from SK and China, based on that Italy growth rate should slow in 3-7 days.
China is a country known to fudge it's numbers. SK not so much, but they have had corrupt leaders in their recent history so who knows. I still think we will be in the clear by June. If the NBA, NHL, MLB, MLS and XFL resume play before then, it will be in empty stadiums but none of the cities have been cleared and it should take a while. I think that we'll see MLS, MLB and NHL resume play once the virus subsides in their cities and if their players do not have the virus. The Dragons have one player with the virus and who knows how many players were infected or how long he's had it.