Possible post season for XFL?

XFL Football discussion.
4th&long
MVP

Possible post season for XFL?

Post by 4th&long »

Take this for what its worth but the door to return appears open, if only slightly....

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... ual-offer/

>> Per a source with knowledge of the situation, the XFL will release a player from his contract if a “credible contractual offer” is made by an NFL or CFL team, and if the offer is submitted to the XFL.

A player who is invited for an NFL or CFL workout will be permitted to participate, but he will be required to sign a waiver and will remain under contract with the XFL.

The XFL contracts otherwise run through May 31. Which gives the XFL a window to return for a championship game; at least one coach has told at least one player that the XFL hopes to potentially return for a final game to cap the 2020 season.<<

Clearly something is up, I do not think the XFL made the decision to end Thursday lightly, they wanted one game w/o other leagues playing this weekend to really get people's attention. The gov IMO pressured sports leagues to cancel, possibly as example to nation of corona seriousness, and that may be the right thing, but the timing is awful just like the virus itself.
Tank55
MVP

Re: Possible post season for XFL?

Post by Tank55 »

June Jones has said something to that effect, but I don't see how they can release players, credible offer or otherwise, if they're still holding out hope of playing again.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

Tank55 wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:57 pm June Jones has said something to that effect, but I don't see how they can release players, credible offer or otherwise, if they're still holding out hope of playing again.
Here's June Jones.... click on link for video...

https://twitter.com/MarkBermanFox26/sta ... 0781419520

>> Mark Berman
@MarkBermanFox26
.@XFLRoughnecks
Coach June Jones (@CoachJuneJones
): “I feel very comfortable we’re gonna play again next year. “ (June says XFL hasn’t ruled out a playoff) “The league told us they’re just suspending the regular-season games right now. So that means there may still be a playoff”
12:03 PM · Mar 13, 2020 from Houston, TX <<
Metallifreak10
Running Back

Post by Metallifreak10 »

I suspect they will follow the lead of other sports leagues. If the NBA and NHL decide to start The playoffs in empty arenas, in baseball starts the season in empty stadiums, then I don’t see why the XFL wouldn’t at least like to hold a championship game.

Just one game, no playoffs. Defenders vs roughnecks.
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

I guess this gives new meaning to "if the season ended today" hypotheticals.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

The NBA has said they won't be returning earlier than 4/10, which would be right after what would have been Week 10.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
BengalErnst
Quarterback

Post by BengalErnst »

Imo if they held a playoff it would have to be a three week 8 team playoff.. do it down in Houston at a central site if need be. End the season the way the began it
XtremeFanForever
Coach

Post by XtremeFanForever »

BengalErnst wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:01 am Imo if they held a playoff it would have to be a three week 8 team playoff.. do it down in Houston at a central site if need be. End the season the way the began it
Venue availability is a big reason why I don't see the league making any changes to the schedule. I suppose venues schedules could change drastically with everything going on, but I still doubt they'd be able to schedule quarter final games on short notice (unless games are played at the home sites of the week 10 schedule, seeding be damned). I like the idea, but my guess is we'll just get two rounds, if anything.
RIP Xtreme; forever champions

RIP Wildcats; forever 2-3
StoneSentry
Running Back

Post by StoneSentry »

It would be great to have some kind of resolution to this season.
Metallifreak10
Running Back

Post by Metallifreak10 »

I’d just be happy with a championship game. But, if somehow they not only decided to play again, but decided to hold the actual 4-team playoffs, certainly you’d centralize all 3 games at one location. Obvious choice is TDECU since they already have it booked for April 26th. Hopefully it would be available on the 18th/19th for the 2 playoff games.

I’m not getting my hopes up as I realize this is all still pretty unlikely.