BREAKING: Season canceled.

XFL Football discussion.
StoneSentry
Running Back

Re: BREAKING: Season canceled.

Post by StoneSentry »

It's crushing news, and I'm disappointed in them for yielding to the virus hysteria. They were building a great inaugural season. Now we'll never know how the second half of it would have gone.

All I can do is look forward to 2021.
nick1091
Running Back

Post by nick1091 »

StoneSentry wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:54 pm It's crushing news, and I'm disappointed in them for yielding to the virus hysteria. They were building a great inaugural season. Now we'll never know how the second half of it would have gone.

All I can do is look forward to 2021.
To be honest, I’m not sure how much yielding they had to do. When state governments ban gatherings over 250 or venues outright decide to close, they’ve effectively made the decision for you.
Sacramento XFL
Receiver

Post by Sacramento XFL »

Now we can have the Orlando Apollos play the Houston Roughnecks for "half season spring football champions"....when they can play football again in the summer.
Metallifreak10
Running Back

Post by Metallifreak10 »

Wish they’d at least consider playing the championship game in an empty stadium...
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

Metallifreak10 wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:21 pm Wish they’d at least consider playing the championship game in an empty stadium...
The statement did say "regular season."

I'm holding out hope this virus plays out in a few weeks and we can get back to normal society fairly quickly.
XFLGUY
Quarterback

Post by XFLGUY »

Apparently all players are free to sign elsewhere tomorrow after physicals are complete so that seems unlikely as well as unfortunate
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

Classy move paying everyone's base and benefits. Bravo.

So glad I made it to a game. Can't wait for 2021.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

Regular Joe wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:43 pm All sports should continue even if in empty arenas, the people will need a distraction and some normalcy in their lives.

My opinion.
I tend to agree, but there's pressure from gov at all levels, I was hoping they'd squeeze in this last weekend. Perhaps a player or two tested positive. Very disappointing, in what has been a disappointing March: The stock market, Corona and now my distraction from that is taken away - in 2 weeks we went from ok to implosion. Only live TV is going to be a bunch of news shows insighting panic.... not good. Time to circle the wagons move forward.

DAMN IT!!!!

Having said that - It was a great 5 weeks, it worked, ratings were good and they can save a few $ and get set for 2021 now that they've learned and experienced so much now.

HERE'S TO XFL 2021 !!!
nick1091
Running Back

Post by nick1091 »

Tank55 wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:53 pm Classy move paying everyone's base and benefits. Bravo.

Agreed (except for the game part - i had tickets next week for Vipers- Renegades.)

Hopefully even the truncated season has worked a bit as a proof of concept that spring football is indeed viable (and highly entertaining) when done the right way.
Metallifreak10
Running Back

Post by Metallifreak10 »

Tank55 wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:53 pm Classy move paying everyone's base and benefits. Bravo.

It sucks because I had week 10 tickets in St Louis and was gonna make the 4 hour trip down. Me and my brother were gonna go with a good friend of ours and his wife who happen to live down there.

Week 1 of the 2021 season should schedule the Roughnecks hosting the Defenders. Play for the unofficial 2020 championship(bragging rights basically).