Coronavirus & XFL

XFL Football discussion.
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Re: Coronavirus & XFL

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

I remember 9/11. It was deeply unsettling with all the negative news going around NOT to have something to settle our nerves and, quite frankly, distract us. And that was one week! This could go on for months!

At least with 9/11, we had a concrete enemy—Osama bin Laden and his minions in al-Qaeda—to unite against. This is something more abstract. We have no specific enemy to blame or fight. And as a result, we're still as divided as ever. There will be no "God Bless America" moments this time. Already I'm seeing some callous Gen-Z'ers who weren't around during 9/11 and they're tossing around the name "Boomer Remover" for this virus on social media with no sense of remorse.

We need something. This country is terrified.

The virus, I'm only marginally concerned. The infection rate even in the worst areas of the world is less than 1 in 100 of the population. That's a tenth of the seasonal flu. I'm more concerned about the massive societal disruption that's going on here and the long-term impacts it's going to have.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

Right, but public gatherings weren't making 9/11 worse.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
Vipers6
Receiver

Post by Vipers6 »

Tank55 wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:57 am Right, but public gatherings weren't making 9/11 worse.
The bitch of it for me - my neighbor had season tickets to DC - offered me them for this weekend. I was also going down there to see them play Tampa later this month. For those of you with kids - you can understand - getting a pass from the wife for 2 games in 3 weeks is one hell of an accomplishment. I lobbied hard to go - all for nothing.
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

Tank55 wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:57 am Right, but public gatherings weren't making 9/11 worse.
Maybe not but it was followed over the next two months by anthrax attacks, the DC sniper, and the NYC blackout, all of which were briefly thought to be connected, which didn't help.