Zorn decisions strike again

XFL Football discussion.
4th&long
MVP

Zorn decisions strike again

Post by 4th&long »

Zorn did this week 3 when he could have gotten a FG and went for it instead would have made it 15-21 instead 12-21. Now this week he blew it again...

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/x ... 926461002/

>> Jim Zorn: It was a rough go for Zorn, the head coach of the Dragons, in Week 4. Not only did his team fall to 1-3 after a 23-16 loss to the BattleHawks, but he was one of the main reasons why. First, Zorn stuck with quarterback Brandon Silvers as his starter but then benched him to start the second half. B.J. Daniels, who had a legitimate claim to start as recently as a couple of weeks ago, instantly outperformed Silvers and put Seattle in position to come back from a 17-3 deficit. Then Zorn hurt his team again with a questionable decision early in the fourth quarter. After Daniels threw a 10-yard touchdown pass to tight end Evan Rodriguez to cut the margin to four points, Zorn inexplicably opted to go for a three-point conversion try from the 10-yard line, when a one- or two-point try would have put Seattle in position to tie or take the lead with a field goal. Making matters worse, Zorn doubled down when asked about the decision, and his answer made no sense when he said a conversion would have put Seattle “one touchdown away.” <<
Andibald
Head Coach

Re: Zorn decisions strike again

Post by Andibald »

4th&long wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:24 am Zorn did this week 3 when he could have gotten a FG and went for it instead would have made it 15-21 instead 12-21. Now this week he blew it again...

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/x ... 926461002/

>> Jim Zorn: It was a rough go for Zorn, the head coach of the Dragons, in Week 4. Not only did his team fall to 1-3 after a 23-16 loss to the BattleHawks, but he was one of the main reasons why. First, Zorn stuck with quarterback Brandon Silvers as his starter but then benched him to start the second half. B.J. Daniels, who had a legitimate claim to start as recently as a couple of weeks ago, instantly outperformed Silvers and put Seattle in position to come back from a 17-3 deficit. Then Zorn hurt his team again with a questionable decision early in the fourth quarter. After Daniels threw a 10-yard touchdown pass to tight end Evan Rodriguez to cut the margin to four points, Zorn inexplicably opted to go for a three-point conversion try from the 10-yard line, when a one- or two-point try would have put Seattle in position to tie or take the lead with a field goal. Making matters worse, Zorn doubled down when asked about the decision, and his answer made no sense when he said a conversion would have put Seattle “one touchdown away.” <<
These are going to be questionable calls all year and Zorn's response is one reason I don't like the in-game interviews. In the post game presser, Zorn said that he thought STL would score more pts, wanted to get as close as he could and wanted to "change the game chemistry". He said he really thought he had a play to score from the 10 yd line. They almost got it. Would he still have been questioned? I think, yes, as they were questioning it in the booth and still would have liked an answer.

The funny thing is, Dallas had a similar situation (Late 3rd qtr rather than early 4th qtr), trailing by 4 after having scored a TD. They went for 3pts and got it to get within 1pt (21-20). I don't recall anyone questioning that or asking about it afterwards, but I may have missed it.

Seattle also had a questionable PAT attempt after their first TD in the 3rd Qtr. They scored a TD to get within 8pts and went for 1pt on the conversion to get within 7pts. But, that meant that a STL FG would increase the lead to 10 pts and a two score lead (which happened) So, maybe they should have gone for 2pts to keep the game within 1 score if STL kicks a FG. Of course, teams still have to covert and so far, conversions from any spot are proving to be difficult, at least, not gimmees.

I expect more questionable decisions as the year moves along.
It's gettin' hot in here...and we about to burn 'em up!

Looks like the 2020 XFL champion may be 2-3 seconds short of playing a full season :?
Andibald
Head Coach

Post by Andibald »

In the presser, Zorn was also a bit confused as to who the QB was for the other team. Kept referring to Luis Perez as the Battlehawks QB. At times he may have been trying to say that Perez gave his team a spark as BJ did for the Dragons, but got the team name wrong. I'm not quite sure.
Last edited by Andibald on Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's gettin' hot in here...and we about to burn 'em up!

Looks like the 2020 XFL champion may be 2-3 seconds short of playing a full season :?
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

Andibald wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:12 pm In the presser, Zorn was also a bit confused as to who the QB was for the other team. Kept referring to Luis Perez as the Battlehawks QB. At times he may have been trying to say that Perez game his team a spark as BJ did for the Dragons, but got the team name wrong. I'm not quite sure.
Oh my

were they interviewing Biden or Zorn

:P
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

Zorn's a space cadet. Dude's just on a different wavelength. Makes it pretty incredible what he's achieved as a coach, to be honest.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
XFLGUY
Quarterback

Post by XFLGUY »

He’ll be one and done..
steinerfhc
Quarterback

Post by steinerfhc »

XFLGUY wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:52 pm He’ll be one and done..
And not for the right reasons. The NFL won't be calling for him.
XFL_FAN
Coach

Post by XFL_FAN »

Didn't they say they weren't firing coaches unless they went 0-10 or something like that? Seattle seems like a 3-4 win team to me.
Ready for the team reveals...again
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

XFL_FAN wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:02 am
Didn't they say they weren't firing coaches unless they went 0-10 or something like that? Seattle seems like a 3-4 win team to me.
Agreed - esp if Daniels plays better
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

As a single entity, the winning percentage is less important and running the team professionally, playing an exciting brand of football, and being a good partner to the league/team president are more important than they would be otherwise. It's hard to evaluate some of that from the outside, but I don't think we have enough evidence to conclude that anyone is close to being on the hot seat.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion