XFL Football discussion.
Andibald
Head Coach

Play Totals Week#4

Post by Andibald »

Total plays run through 4 weeks:
Total Plays through Week#4.png
Total Plays through Week#4.png (41.53 KiB) Viewed 4234 times
It's gettin' hot in here...and we about to burn 'em up!

Looks like the 2020 XFL champion may be 2-3 seconds short of playing a full season :?
mellison
Rookie

Re: Play Totals Week#4

Post by mellison »

Nice view on this. Tampa and St. Louis lead the field by a bit in terms of plays per game. It'd be interesting to take a deeper dive comparing those offenses. If not too challenging it'd be great to see a team totals sections of all weeks combined too :)
Andibald
Head Coach

Post by Andibald »

mellison wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:16 am Nice view on this. Tampa and St. Louis lead the field by a bit in terms of plays per game. It'd be interesting to take a deeper dive comparing those offenses. If not too challenging it'd be great to see a team totals sections of all weeks combined too :)
Thanks :) . Yes, as I looked at this 3 and 4 weeks in, I thought team totals would be nice. I'll get on it!

Looks like the 2020 XFL champion may be 2-3 seconds short of playing a full season :?
Andibald
Head Coach

Post by Andibald »

Here are some totals and per game averages:
Attachments
XFL Play Totals and Avg Through Week #4.jpg
XFL Play Totals and Avg Through Week #4.jpg (126.5 KiB) Viewed 4180 times

Hammerpgh
Receiver

Post by Hammerpgh »

Excellent work there, Very interesting and insightful information 👍 Houston with just 4 sacks given up on 147 pass attempts over the 4 weeks is really impressive.
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

Hammerpgh wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:10 pm Excellent work there, Very interesting and insightful information 👍 Houston with just 4 sacks given up on 147 pass attempts over the 4 weeks is really impressive.
Not to hijack the thread, but one of the things that has most surprised me about the gameplay thus far is that defenses haven’t been able to just tee off on the QBs. Sack numbers are down from what I would’ve thought. Not sure if it’s better than expected O-line play, not enough quality pass rushers, offenses scheming to get the ball out of the QB’s hands quickly, or a combination of all those things.
@gregmparks
Andibald
Head Coach

Post by Andibald »

GregParks wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:14 pm
Hammerpgh wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:10 pm Excellent work there, Very interesting and insightful information 👍 Houston with just 4 sacks given up on 147 pass attempts over the 4 weeks is really impressive.
Not to hijack the thread, but one of the things that has most surprised me about the gameplay thus far is that defenses haven’t been able to just tee off on the QBs. Sack numbers are down from what I would’ve thought. Not sure if it’s better than expected O-line play, not enough quality pass rushers, offenses scheming to get the ball out of the QB’s hands quickly, or a combination of all those things.
Yes, I was a bit concerned about that (defenses teeing off on QBs), given the AAF felt the need to adjust their blitz rules to help avoid QB pressure.

Good points on why sacks are lower.

I don't have any stats for this but it also seems like their are few holding calls on pass plays. With the slightly shorter time between plays along with the multiple sideline interviews, some actual holding may go unnoticed by fans (me at least) due to less replays. I also wonder if the holding rules are more lenient and/or just being called on very obvious holds.

Hammerpgh
Receiver

Post by Hammerpgh »

Andibald wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:07 pm
Yes, I was a bit concerned about that (defenses teeing off on QBs), given the AAF felt the need to adjust their blitz rules to help avoid QB pressure.

Good points on why sacks are lower.

I don't have any stats for this but it also seems like their are few holding calls on pass plays. With the slightly shorter time between plays along with the multiple sideline interviews, some actual holding may go unnoticed by fans (me at least) due to less replays. I also wonder if the holding rules are more lenient and/or just being called on very obvious holds.
That's a good point... It hadn't really occurred to me for some reason but now you have pointed it out you are right, holding calls do seem to be less prevalent in the XFL. They drove me nuts last season in the NFL😞