XFL2020 City Team Name Suggestions

XFL Football discussion.
User avatar
MikeMitchell
XFLBoard Correspondent
Posts: 2133
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:28 pm

XFL2020 City Team Name Suggestions

Post by MikeMitchell » Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:06 pm

The original XFL was a reflection of the times and popular culture. It was an in your face smash mouth league that reflected it in their team names. The Rage, Hitmen, Enforcers, Xtreme, Demons and Maniax played into the league's theme. Under Oliver Luck’s guidance, the league may decide to go in a different direction with team names.

Here are some of my team name suggestions. Feel free to add your own and criticize mine. I am sure you guys will have better ideas. I am just speculating. 7 for each market.


New York

Empire (tag line "Where Empires are Grown" was used in The XFL NY video at city intro press conference)
Emperors (See empire)
Skyscrapers (Big city characteristic)
Hitmen (the original stays)
Knights (Double meaning, has protector theme as well)
Nighthawks (Double meaning, speed of the city, city that never sleeps, a nighthawk is someone who is active at night)
Heroes (Tribute to the NYPD and FDNY)


St. Louis

Archers (The infamous Arch)
Sentinels (synonym for guardian or protector)
Gatekeepers (tie in to being the gateway)
Guardians (See sentinels)
Leopards (St.Louis is also famous for it's zoo, a leopard doesn't change it's spots)
Silverbacks (Another tie in with the zoo)
Clydesdales (infamous tie-in and iconic representation of the city)

Washington D.C

Warhorses (No state has more equestrian statues of the nation's greatest leaders and their horses. 30 of them surrounding the capital state)
Warhawks (Military theme)
Americans (Nod to the natives)
Pride (The sense for all those who come or came from this region. Team logo could also be the pride of Lions.)
Federals (old USFL name)
Statesmen (Another leader based theme)
Generals (Military/authority name representing the region)

Tampa Bay

Aviators (Tampa's aviation base)
Blazers (Name with pro football history, a theme for the blazing Tampa sun)
Bandits (Popular team name from region with history)
Thunderbirds (In greek mythology, these birds created rain, lightning and thunder)
Thunderbolts (Does an original XFL name return in a new place)
Breakers (Beach reference)
Manatees (Famous mammal in this region)

Dallas

Dark Horses (Popular sports term/ horse tie in to the land of Cowboys and Desperados)
Defenders (Military term)
Dragons (Mythological creature that embodies the size of Big D)
Armadillos (Famous in this region)
Marshals (Sherriff type theme with the star of Texas)
Mammoths (Legendary large mammals that once roamed the earth, sticking with The Big D theme)
Dinosaurs (Big D theme continues)

Houston

Hustlers (The city is known as Hustle Town)
Gamblers (Popular USFL franchise name with good history)
Roughnecks (Popular term for Oil workers/drillers)
Navigators (Space city tie-in)
Outlaws (old XFL name returns to Texas)
Heartlanders (Houston people are known for their heart and resilience)
Steed (Another horse/cowboy based theme, a steed is know for being high spirited)

Los Angeles

Xtreme (last LA pro football champs spelled Extreme?)
Condors (Famous and intimidating bird in this region)
Sabercats (also famous in this region)
Archangels (The city of angels. An archangel is an angel of the absolute highest order)
Idols (Borrows from the Hollywood theme)
Stars (Another Hollywood theme, great USFL team name of the past)
Legion (Military theme, also dates back to the explorer history of California)

Seattle

Steelheads (Fish from this region)
Leviathans (Mythical Sea creature)
Sledgehammers (Seattle is known for it's construction and growth in the last 2 decades. Their fans are known for being loud, which is what sledgehammers are)
Skyliners (The space needle theme)
Lumberjacks (Nickname to describe another aspect of Seattle culture)
Pioneers (A city that is known for it's innovation and forward thinking)
Sailors (Sea based theme)
Last edited by MikeMitchell on Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:02 pm, edited 8 times in total.

User avatar
MikeMitchell
XFLBoard Correspondent
Posts: 2133
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:28 pm

Re: XFL2020 City Team Name Speculation & Suggestions

Post by MikeMitchell » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:47 am

Just a quick update.

XFLShop.com is going to start selling team gear this coming Wednesday. I doubt that they have names and logos already set up but hey it's possible. They have had nearly a year of fans suggesting team names for potential markets.

User avatar
XFL_FAN
Coach
Posts: 943
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:43 pm

Re: XFL2020 City Team Name Speculation & Suggestions

Post by XFL_FAN » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:41 am

Dallas Desperados
Houston Hustlers (even though I didn't particularly like the old XFL, it's still cool ;) )
LA Sharks
Seattle Seagulls (Really original, I know)
St. Louis Spartans/Stallions maybe?
Washington Generals
Tampa Bay Blazers/Electric/Thunderbolts
New York Knights (Thought of this when the league was announced, pretty good name...)


Eastern Conference:
Washington
NY
TB
St. Louis

Western Conference:
Seattle
LA
Houston
Dallas
Playoffs are still in sight ;)

User avatar
MikeMitchell
XFLBoard Correspondent
Posts: 2133
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:28 pm

Re: XFL2020 City Team Name Speculation & Suggestions

Post by MikeMitchell » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:02 am

XFL_FAN wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:41 am
Dallas Desperados
Houston Hustlers (even though I didn't particularly like the old XFL, it's still cool ;) )
LA Sharks
Seattle Seagulls (Really original, I know)
St. Louis Spartans/Stallions maybe?
Washington Generals
Tampa Bay Blazers/Electric/Thunderbolts
New York Knights (Thought of this when the league was announced, pretty good name...)


Eastern Conference:
Washington
NY
TB
St. Louis

Western Conference:
Seattle
LA
Houston
Dallas
I think you got the conferences nailed down. The West has natural rivals.

I like your names even though a lot of them have been used in the past. The league has to walk a fine line between being original and still not coming off as campy.

If original XFL names were coming back. I would bet on Outlaws or Thunderbolts. It fits the Texas and Florida team.

I have always liked Sharks probably because of Any Given Sunday. I am surprised that more football teams haven’t adopted that name.

User avatar
XFL_FAN
Coach
Posts: 943
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:43 pm

Re: XFL2020 City Team Name Speculation & Suggestions

Post by XFL_FAN » Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:15 pm

Rivalries:

Seattle-LA

Houston-Dallas

St.Louis-Tampa Bay?

New York Washington

The Seattle-LA and Houston-Dallas would work pretty well but not sure how the Eastern Conference rivalries would work...
Playoffs are still in sight ;)

User avatar
MikeMitchell
XFLBoard Correspondent
Posts: 2133
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:28 pm

Re: XFL2020 City Team Name Speculation & Suggestions

Post by MikeMitchell » Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:12 pm

XFL_FAN wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:15 pm
Rivalries:

Seattle-LA

Houston-Dallas

St.Louis-Tampa Bay?

New York Washington

The Seattle-LA and Houston-Dallas would work pretty well but not sure how the Eastern Conference rivalries would work...
Sounds like a good week 1 Schedule to me.

How about XFL Week 1 2020

St. Louis at home in prime time against LA. A big tv market team on the road. Good kickoff game.

Dallas at Houston. Speaks for itself.

Tampa at Seattle. Let Seattle kick off their season at home. If Tebow is on Tampa, flip the home team or send Tampa to St. Louis instead.

New York at Washington. Debut Audi field with The Washington “Americans”.

User avatar
XFL_FAN
Coach
Posts: 943
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:43 pm

Re: XFL2020 City Team Name Speculation & Suggestions

Post by XFL_FAN » Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:15 pm

MikeMitchell wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:12 pm
XFL_FAN wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:15 pm
Rivalries:

Seattle-LA

Houston-Dallas

St.Louis-Tampa Bay?

New York Washington

The Seattle-LA and Houston-Dallas would work pretty well but not sure how the Eastern Conference rivalries would work...
Sounds like a good week 1 Schedule to me.

How about XFL Week 1 2020

St. Louis at home in prime time against LA. A big tv market team on the road. Good kickoff game.

Dallas at Houston. Speaks for itself.

Tampa at Seattle. Let Seattle kick off their season at home. If Tebow is on Tampa, flip the home team or send Tampa to St. Louis instead.

New York at Washington. Debut Audi field with The Washington “Americans”.
You're right! The LA vs St. Louis matchup would be golden.
St. Louis wanting to show that they're a football city after all, that would be prime-time gold! :D
Playoffs are still in sight ;)

User avatar
MikeMitchell
XFLBoard Correspondent
Posts: 2133
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:28 pm

Re: XFL2020 City Team Name Speculation & Suggestions

Post by MikeMitchell » Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:01 pm

XFL_FAN wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:15 pm
MikeMitchell wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:12 pm
XFL_FAN wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:15 pm
Rivalries:

Seattle-LA

Houston-Dallas

St.Louis-Tampa Bay?

New York Washington

The Seattle-LA and Houston-Dallas would work pretty well but not sure how the Eastern Conference rivalries would work...
Sounds like a good week 1 Schedule to me.

How about XFL Week 1 2020

St. Louis at home in prime time against LA. A big tv market team on the road. Good kickoff game.

Dallas at Houston. Speaks for itself.

Tampa at Seattle. Let Seattle kick off their season at home. If Tebow is on Tampa, flip the home team or send Tampa to St. Louis instead.

New York at Washington. Debut Audi field with The Washington “Americans”.
You're right! The LA vs St. Louis matchup would be golden.
St. Louis wanting to show that they're a football city after all, that would be prime-time gold! :D
I don't know what the TV rights package is going to be like. I am assuming that The XFL is going to have Saturday and Sunday games similar to the first XFL, but it would be cool if St.Louis kicked off the relaunch of The XFL on Prime Time on maybe a Thursday or Friday Night on one of the big networks (NBC or Fox). A Thursday or Friday night would help them avoid any eyeballs watching the AAF during the weekend. Get all eyes on the prize.It could be a once a year thing to have the opener on a Thursday night similar to The NFL.

Why not The 1st XFL Champs LA at St.Louis. No better way to kick it off.

User avatar
XFL_FAN
Coach
Posts: 943
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:43 pm

Re: XFL2020 City Team Name Speculation & Suggestions

Post by XFL_FAN » Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:18 pm

MikeMitchell wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:47 am
Just a quick update.

XFLShop.com is going to start selling team gear this coming Wednesday. I doubt that they have names and logos already set up but hey it's possible. They have had nearly a year of fans suggesting team names for potential markets.
What else would they be selling? T-shirts that say "XFL St. Louis" or something like that? I think it's likely they have the logos and names set.
Playoffs are still in sight ;)

User avatar
MikeMitchell
XFLBoard Correspondent
Posts: 2133
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:28 pm

Re: XFL2020 City Team Name Speculation & Suggestions

Post by MikeMitchell » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:51 pm

XFL_FAN wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:18 pm
MikeMitchell wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:47 am
Just a quick update.

XFLShop.com is going to start selling team gear this coming Wednesday. I doubt that they have names and logos already set up but hey it's possible. They have had nearly a year of fans suggesting team names for potential markets.
What else would they be selling? T-shirts that say "XFL St. Louis" or something like that? I think it's likely they have the logos and names set.
Maybe we are reading too much into it but they might have names already. That would be a huge story.
Last edited by MikeMitchell on Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Reply